Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Postby Fossil » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:55 pm

JohnR wrote:The Precious Organisation.

This record label started life in a flat on the ground floor right at 617 Pollokshaws Road. The front bedroom was used as a demo room using an old Tascam portastudio.

Amongst the artists who recorded demos in this flat were Primal Scream, Wet Wet Wet, Kick Reaction, The Floor and Gerry Sadowitz. The neighbours weren't too happy about drums being recorded through the night though!

J

excellent! more like this folks

anyone got a location for Lulu's birth place?
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:19 am

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:38 am

DickyHart wrote:"The Big Day"—Europe's biggest free street party and musical event—brought more than 500,000 people into the city centre for a day of free music by performers as varied as Wet Wet Wet, Deacon Blue, Sheena Easton and hundreds of community street entertainers.

I worked on this day, ive still got me t-shirt and pass somewhere. I was one of the ones who had to collect the rubbish of the stage after Sheena,

Dug out my big day programme :) ah the memories

My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby OLDFART » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:31 pm

Gerry Sadowitz did go to Shawlands Academy if i remember correctly so it definatly possibly he recorded there.

Heres one for Alex, Lulu used to be seen frequently in Shilton Drive, Priesthill before she was famous. One of her original band the lovvers stayed there. :mrgreen:
OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby John » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:07 pm

OLDFART wrote:Gerry Sadowitz did go to Shawlands Academy if i remember correctly so it definatly possibly he recorded there.

Heres one for Alex, Lulu used to be seen frequently in Shilton Drive, Priesthill before she was famous. One of her original band the lovvers stayed there. :mrgreen:

I can say with some certainty that he did record there as I was present. I also did several shows with him as well which was fun and he did a version of a well known Lou Reed song changed to "Walk on the Clydeside" with lyrics featuring me and my mate Andy.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Alex Glass » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:46 pm

OLDFART wrote:Gerry Sadowitz did go to Shawlands Academy if i remember correctly so it definatly possibly he recorded there.

How right you are OF.

Do you know what his name was? We could start a Pollok Hall of Fame. I remember watching a Billy Connelly show where he mentioned that he spent some time in the Pollok area living with his Gran I think.

JR that is a diamond piece. Has anyone got a photo of the close?
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:37 pm

JohnR wrote:I can say with some certainty that he did record there as I was present. I also did several shows with him as well which was fun and he did a version of a well known Lou Reed song changed to "Walk on the Clydeside" with lyrics featuring me and my mate Andy.

that's intristin, in what capacity did you appear with him? I've seen'm quite a few times.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:40 pm

Sydney Rosewater wrote:
JohnR wrote:I can say with some certainty that he did record there as I was present. I also did several shows with him as well which was fun and he did a version of a well known Lou Reed song changed to "Walk on the Clydeside" with lyrics featuring me and my mate Andy.

that's intristin, in what capacity did you appear with him? I've seen'm quite a few times.

In a musical capacity playing bass! He was/is a massive John Barry fan and I would get a call asking if I could work out the music to the intro to Beat Girl or suchlike as he had an idea for a sketch he wanted to do over the theme.

He loved to gig and I am pretty sure he had some sort of scam on the go whereby he would show up at a venue where bands were playing and pretend to be the house comedian to get a chance to perform. It all went sadly wrong one fateful Saturday night when a chain of events led to us getting chucked out of the Halt Bar on Woodlands Road.

This was in the early 80s long before anyone had heard of him and I do believe some of the tapes still exist.

We were at a party once and lots of smarmy git musicians were showing off doing party pieces such as playing their guitars behind their head etc. Jerry took the piss by doing card tricks behind his back and getting them completely wrong to wind them up. His close up card magic really is a wonder to behold.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:22 am

Possibly the best article on a Glasgow musician that I've ever read;
http://www.wunnerful.com/sahb/reviews/uncut.html
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:13 am

JohnR wrote:
This was in the early 80s long before anyone had heard of him and I do believe some of the tapes still exist.

We were at a party once and lots of smarmy git musicians were showing off doing party pieces such as playing their guitars behind their head etc. Jerry took the piss by doing card tricks behind his back and getting them completely wrong to wind them up. His close up card magic really is a wonder to behold.

Aye, the close up magic stuff is grand. I've been to a few of the magic gigs. He must be one of the best practitioners around. I also saw him doing it at a table for his friends or family in pizzaland one night. this wasn't long after The Pall Bearer Review had ended. Do you have any recordings from back then?
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby OLDFART » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:31 am

Do you know what his name was? We could start a Pollok Hall of Fame. I remember watching a Billy Connelly show where he mentioned that he spent some time in the Pollok area living with his Gran I think.

my mum actually new Lulu we stayed in Priesthill/Nitshill at time, Glenmuir Drive, Shilton was just across road. I never actually asked her which one. She died a few years ago so no chance now.
OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:59 am

Hipsway - Long White Car, Broken Years. Saw them at Maestro's before they got signed. Used to know Graham Skinner a bit but not that well. He was pally with our rythmn guitarist.
Friends Again - Honey At The Core. Chris Thomson and James Grants' magnificent beginning. Our lead guitarist went out with Chris Thomson's sister, that's her with the fishing rod on the cover.
Love and Money - James Grant, Raining on Jocelyn Square (a Glasgow placename song). Later line up featured Dougie Macintyre, see Flesh.
The Bathers - Chris Thomson.
The Fruits of Pashion - All I Ever Wanted. I went out with the singers sister, Something Donlevy.
Flesh - Was Dougie MacIntyre's band after the Fruits. He also played with one of my later bands, The Internationals.
The Jazzateers - Released a single on Stampede (my brother's label) and the merged with Flesh to form
The Fleshateers - One gig at the Subclub (owned at the time by my brother) I used to know the singer a bit, Graham something, nickname Spam. Came from Stra'ven, same as me. In fact...he used to live next door to the Naismith's who were cousins of Claire Grogan. Small world, but I wouldn't like to clean it. God bless you Chick Murray!
James King and The Lonewolves - I Don't Care if You Live or Die. The hardest band in Glasgow? Yes.
Kick Reaction - YTT(Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow) and under rated classic. When last spotted maverick genius Peter Lyons was working as a postman in Hamilton. I appeared on one KR single, "Spraypainters in Australia" as a backing singer. It was recorded in my studios in Motherwell. (used for rehearsals by the BMX Bandits and Teenage Fanclub). Voice, it was called
The Big Dish - Stephen Lindsay has just released a solo album to great acclaim. He works as a graphic designer these days - in fact he did my Company logo last year.
Strangers and Brothers - became the touring band for Hue and Cry. Our guitarist swapped his cherry red Epiphone semi for the Strangers lead's Tokai Strat. First time Pat and Shug were on top o' the paps, there was the Epiphone. Nearest we ever got to telly in the UK!
Hue and Cry - from Coatbridge but their first record "Here Comes Everybody" was also on my brother's label.
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

The Sound of Young Scotland

Postby Cyclo2000 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:39 pm

Postcard records was started by Alan Horne in 1980. the roster was

Orange Juice (Poor Old Soul came in the black cover with a postcard inside0
Aztec camera (but only for two singles, Just Like Gold and Mattress of Wire - the latter in a picture cover
Josef K - Chance Meeting was a black cover release, again with a postcard included.
The Go-Betweens - Australians. WTF?
Nearly all the roster left quite quickly to majors or other indies and the label was defunct by the end of 1981. A good copy of "Falling and Laughing" with the flexy is now worth circa £100.00, there's one on Ebay just now but it doesn't look right to me, wrong cover for a start and the label should have a pic of the band on the A side.

He revived the label in the 90's to release a single by Paul Quinn and a few compilations by Orange Juice (a Blue Boy CD Single and an LP, "This Heaters on Fire" spring to mind).

Orange Juice was
Edwyn Collins -- guitar, vocals, songwriting;
James Kirk -- guitar, vocals, songwriting;
David McClymont -- bass
Steven Daly -- drums
Kirk and Daly were later replaced by
Malcolm Ross -- guitar, vocals, songwriting
Zeke Manyika -- drums, vocals, songwriting
and a large supporting cast including Clare Kenny, Paul Quinn, and Dennis Bovell

Josef K was
Paul Haig -- guitar, vocals, songwriting
Malcolm Ross -- guitar, violin
David Weddell -- bass
Ronnie Torrance -- drums

Aztec Camera was
Roddy Frame -- guitar, vocals, songwriting
Campbell Owens -- bass
David Mulholland -- drums (first single)
Steven Daly -- drums (second single)
and many others later

The Go-Betweens were
Robert Forster -- guitar, vocals, songwriting
Grant McLennan -- bass, vocals, songwriting
and later: Lindy Morrison, Robert Vickers, Amanda Brown, and John Willsteed

1 Orange Juice - Falling And Laughing (7") April 1980 (Most copies came with a free flexi-disc featuring a live version of "Felicity").
2 Orange Juice - Blue Boy (7") Sept. 1980 (First 2083 with hand-coloured sleeve).
3 Josef K - Radio Drill Time (7") Sept. 1980
4 The Go-Betweens - I Need Two Heads (7") Nov 1980
5 Josef K - It's Kinda Funny (7") Dec. 1980
6 Orange Juice - Simply Thrilled Honey (7") Dec. 1980 (First 5000 with coloured insert).
7 Aztec Camera - Just Like Gold (7") Mar 1981
8 Josef K - Sorry For Laughing (7") 1981 (Actualy released on Begium label Disques du crepescule - "Twilight records")
9 Aztec Camera - A Mattress Of Wire (7") Jul 1981
10 Orange Juice - Poor Old Soul (7") 1981
11 Orange Juice - Wan Light (7") 1981 (Unreleased).
12 Josef K - The Only Fun In Town (LP) July 1981
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: The Sound of Young Scotland

Postby Mark N » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:00 pm

Cyclo2000 wrote:8 Josef K - Sorry For Laughing (7") 1981 (Actualy released on Begium label Disques du crepescule - "Twilight records")

This track was also included on Rough Trade Shops indiepop 1 compilation, released in 2004.
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:48 pm

Sydney Rosewater wrote:
JohnR wrote:

Aye, the close up magic stuff is grand. I've been to a few of the magic gigs. He must be one of the best practitioners around. I also saw him doing it at a table for his friends or family in pizzaland one night. this wasn't long after The Pall Bearer Review had ended. Do you have any recordings from back then?

I have had a look through my memorabilia box and found a tape of a performance at Leon's Waterfront from one sunny Saturday night way back in the early 80s. I think it will have to remain private though as I don't think I would be thanked for sharing it :-) It does contain his classic joke about Edinburgh being stolen in the early hours by some neds after a drinking spree............police are looking for extra signs of tourism in the Easterhouse area. :roll:

John
John
-
-

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects