Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Postby Thom405L » Wed May 13, 2009 9:11 pm

Hi there...and don't all groan at the thought of another Tom! I'm sure you're all aware that we get e-mailed with comments relating to threads we've posted. My last post was August 2008. Just to make it clear, I'm not Tommy or Tomski. That's a fact. The connection is that I also liked The Dolphins and also promoted Tommy's excellent Glasband 80 site on my pitiful little Youtube channel.

Having just read the comments over the last few days, I find them totally OTT against Tomski. Ok, his comments sometimes didn't help. However, he wasn't the only one to be intolerant to other folks music tastes. Dexter didn't like Underhand Jones....and to be fair, if I'd just heard the album (crap production) and had never seen them live, then I might have formed that opinion as well. However, they were an amazing live act. No debate needed.

Cado Belle on the other hand, were in my opinion the dullest band I ever saw...and that's after seeing them live...and also humphing their gear on a few occasions (Bobby Pringle's fault). Having said that, their Sanatanesque September was good...as was Maggie..an amazing talent. Christian...well let's not comment. This could go on forever...it's all personal choices folks...

Last point...can I stress that I am not Tomski...or Tommy D from Glasband 80.....it's just bloody unfortunate that we all have the same name.
Thom405L
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby daveyboy » Thu May 21, 2009 9:40 pm

The first gig I played with my own material was actually in Glasgow in 2006.The venue has since shut.It was on St Vincent Street.Anyone remember the Liquid Lounge?

This had to be my best EVER gig though.

Besides that the best gig I've seen in Glasgow couldn't relate to alot of the people who seen the bands of the 60's 70's and a few 80's ones.But my favourite older bands gig was probably seeing Slade,Mud and T-Rextasy last month.Loved Slade since I was wee and finally got to see them! (Well.....2 of the original band) Them or Roger McGuinn of the Byrds 2 years ago in the Royal Concert Hall

More recent fave Glasgow gig.Ocean Colour Scene,Barrowlands.December 2008.
daveyboy
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu May 21, 2009 10:02 pm

Thom405L wrote:Hi there...and don't all groan at the thought of another Tom!
Having just read the comments over the last few days, I find them totally OTT against Tomski. Ok, his comments sometimes didn't help. .

Make your mind up.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Thu May 21, 2009 10:59 pm

davey,slade were a band that alot of people couldnt quite pigeonhole and could not get round what they were all about.i saw them many times and they were real grafters,they loved the apollo and the apollo loved them.great musicians each and everyone of them.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby daveyboy » Fri May 22, 2009 2:52 pm

banjo wrote:davey,slade were a band that alot of people couldnt quite pigeonhole and could not get round what they were all about.i saw them many times and they were real grafters,they loved the apollo and the apollo loved them.great musicians each and everyone of them.

I read Noddy Holders autobiography again earlier this year and he talks very highly of Glasgow and how they loved the Apollo! I wish I'd been to that venue.Apparently the stage was a mile high!But back to Slade.I was only 7 when I first heard them on TOTP's 2 and they just got my attention straight away.Mama Weer all Crazee Now just ripped right through the telly.It was quality.I loved it and have been a fan ever since (at one point the youngest member of the fanclub).Now I'm 19 and I love them even more passionatley now and have met Noddy himself in Glasgow Waterstones about 10 years ago when he was doing book signings.

BRING ON THE SLADE COMEBACK!
daveyboy
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Mark N » Fri May 22, 2009 2:55 pm

daveyboy wrote:BRING ON THE SLADE COMEBACK!

Comeback ? That bloody Christmas song ensures they never go away !

Anyway, I went to see Half Man Half Biscuit at The Arches last night and they were bloody fantastic.
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Thom405L » Tue May 26, 2009 9:28 pm

..Heard it was good gig....Pity I missed them....my mate mentioned that Nigel Blackwell appeared...or did a voice over for Shell or BP years ago...true?...or just another myth chucked in?
Thom405L
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby banjo » Wed May 27, 2009 7:36 pm

just got in to find out that someone was on mastermind tonight answering questions on slade and i missed it,grrrrrr. :evil:
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu May 28, 2009 7:14 am

banjo wrote:just got in to find out that someone was on mastermind tonight answering questions on slade and i missed it,grrrrrr. :evil:

Mastermind on i Player
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Thu May 28, 2009 8:47 pm

cheers dex,i forgot about that. :D
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Fri May 29, 2009 7:31 pm

From the Third Eye Centre programme, February 1978. Whatever happened to Simple Minds?

Le durachd,
Eddy

dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri May 29, 2009 11:20 pm

dimairt wrote:From the Third Eye Centre programme, February 1978. Whatever happened to Simple Minds?

Deserved obscurity. More to the point, whatever happened to Chou Pahrot?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby daveyboy » Sat May 30, 2009 6:09 pm

Mark N wrote:

Fair point.It's a shame people just write them off over the christmas song though.They were much MUCH more than that.
daveyboy
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Sat May 30, 2009 9:23 pm

daveyboy wrote:
Mark N wrote:

Fair point.It's a shame people just write them off over the christmas song though.They were much MUCH more than that.

How much more Davy ?

I think Slade were the start of text language with stuff like Coz I Luv etc, but still think they were crap :P
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat May 30, 2009 9:31 pm

I'm moderately fond of 'Far Far Away'.

If you haven't heard it, btw, don't bother Youtube-ing it, coz their all crap. (see what I did there? :) )
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects