Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Postby tomsk » Sun May 10, 2009 10:19 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Aye Toomsk if Underhand Jones or The Dolphins re unite I am sure they would write one of their turgid songs about you and your heroic exploits. As I emphasise again you like them I don't. I can't recall UHJ being regulars at the Mayfair but i do suppose John McCalman, Heid Bummer at Clyde 2 would have had some influence with Ross Bowie and in exchange for a band guaranteed to bring in a heavy drinking crowd early doors the Alexander Brothers would still be guaranteed plays on Jack McLaughlin's show. I am sure the members of UHJ and the Dolphins are wonderful musicians, good guys all round and obviously very important in the lives of the musically retarded but I repeat i heard them and was unimpressed.

If you want to nominate them for the Rock'n'Roll hall of fame on you go but there should be a separate thread for groups of talented musicians who realised too late that their combined talents were pulling a crowd of numpties who had missed out on Maggie Bell and the Power and were too early for Scheme. Underhand Jones of course wakened up and Campbell Forbes along with Brian Coyle dumped the rest of them to form The Dolphins without quite understanding that their material was drawing the drecks. The Dolphins were immediately out of their depth outside of pub gigs, they did headline at the QMU but pissed off the regular crowd whilst their followers were too pissed on the cheap drink to liven the gig up. Then again liveliness was never a feature of Dolphins gigs. Cod reggae seems to be the downfall of most bands from The Police, UB40, Scheme and current faves San Toy and of cours the Dolphins.

this quote from Glasband80 says it all

they had a brilliant Instrumental called “Song for the Japanese Dolphin” with its subtle piano beginning, explosive mid section bringing in powerful guitar and drums then moving back to quiet piano and keyboards punctuated with haunting guitar licks at the end.

Unfortunately the band were more up themselves than the brown nosed author of the above.

Judge for yourselves by heading for http://www.myspace.com/thedolphinsglas

Oh and you missed out their headline appearance with Tiger Tim on the Untied Shoelaces show.

BTW your spelling touched my nerve glad to see it's improved.

Hey Dexy, seems you don't like much about Glasgow bands with substance, in fact you seem to have a warped view on a lot of things, now let's get this straight!! you like Christian and Altered Images but slag off Underhand Jones, Scheme, The Dolphins and all of their fans (numpties as you call them, that's a lot of folk you're having a go at there) and you mention "The Downfall" of The Police and UB40? (I must have been sleeping when that happened)The Police and UB40 didn't end because of record sales they just split up! and San Toy? you mean you hate new bands as well? Oh and before you go slagging my grammar check out your own spelling, it's not so good either Dexy.

And as for my heroic exploits? because I'm standing up to YOU? with your sergeant stripes on a pishy forum?... don''t make me laugh!...No really my sides are hurting here.

If you don't like any of these bands, I don't give a shit, really, but when you resort to slagging them off and asking for someone else s views to be taken off or edited from the forum (me) because they answer you back, sounds like you're getting at a tad desperate and above yourself. And as for being musically retarded, sorry if I don't get the musical intricacies of Christian or Altered Images, maybe you should explain them to me or is it just me (i don't think so). It is a shame you had to travel all the way to Paisley to see Orange Juice it must have been hard for you, does it not tell you something when all of the real bands were playing the centre of the city?

I can't speak for sites like, Rock Scotland ,Glasband 80,Rocking Scots, chasar online and the like but I will stick up for them as they are decent, positive, informative websites, with no agenda other than to let folk know that these bands existed and what they got up to back then, you seem to be bitter about something that happened in the past Dexy, it comes across loud and clear in your snide, bitchy statements about everything from Scheme to the Police and my grammar. (whitch I aint ashamed of as this is only a fucking forum).

I look forward to your next gem of intellectual wisdom on the muso front Dexy. Or better still let's get into a long and meaningful debate on how to spell Pollokshaws...........You need to get out more Dixter.
tomsk
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby frenchbloke » Sun May 10, 2009 12:36 pm

can I just jump in for a second.
Whilst personal taste may make a lot of these bands leave an unpleasant aftertaste, the fact remains, that no matter how shit you think they are/were, they still have their place, and no, not in a pile of shite.

I experienced Scheme up very close as they were from my neck of the woods and the secondary school volunteered me and a few other to go fund raising where I ended up in a pub/venue with Scheme. I am no fan of Scheme but appreciate lots of people were. Cover versions of Pink Floyd's 'Another Brick in the Wall' really weren't my thing.

So, regardless of your dislike for the pompousness of latter day Simple Minds and your love of Clare Grogan, it really boils down to what it says on page one.

Please stay on topic

and it should really be a who, what, when and where type thing as opposed to a slagging match over who liked UB40.
frenchbloke
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Josef » Sun May 10, 2009 1:04 pm

Good point, Monsieur.

it's always a bit hard to have a thread on a subject like this without introducing personal opinion, though. Which can, obviously, lead to the odd, er, discussion.

Tangential to the last few posts : I had the vague notion that the reason for the use of the Bungalow Bar for gigs was that you weren't allowed to charge for entry to see a band on licensed premises in Glasgow at that time, and there was a shortage of mid-sized venues. But now I come to think of it, I saw several bands in Student Unions over the same period. Anyone know?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tomsk » Sun May 10, 2009 1:45 pm

You could be correct there Josef, I think this could have been the start of the breakdown of the good pub/Band scene in and around Glasgow around the mid 80s, I could be wrong here but I remember playing in bands in the early 80s and the band got payed a negotiated amount from the pub and the gig was free to punters, then by the late 80s bands had to sell tickets for there gigs which could result in two things, one; the band never made any money or just broke even and two; you ended up only attracting friends to your gigs as the average punter often wouldn't pay so see a young band they hadn't heard of so it was harder for up and coming bands to get started and progress.
Any thoughts?

p.s. for the last couple of posts...."It wiznie me Mr it wiz him!.....(only kidding)

I totally agree with everything you said Frenchbloke.
tomsk
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Josef » Sun May 10, 2009 1:49 pm

Post-Bungalow period :

Must have been late on the tour, because the metal plate Jon King bashed on "He'd send in the army" (or something) looked as if it had been hit with a bazooka by this point.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun May 10, 2009 1:59 pm

Josef wrote:Post-Bungalow period :

Must have been late on the tour, because the metal plate Jon King bashed on "He'd send in the army" (or something) looked as if it had been hit with a bazooka by this point.

I might have been at that gig. Was Eddi Reader on backing vocals and Sara Lee on Bass?
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun May 10, 2009 2:04 pm

Backing vocals, can't remember, but bass was the bloke that went off to be in Shreikback - it was the next album (and tour) that had Sara Lee.

Bungalow period :

Check the prices, btw. Probably more worthy of nostalgia than the bands. :D

And yes, I did go and see The Freeze, but I used to go to a couple of gigs there virtually every week. Honest.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun May 10, 2009 2:14 pm

I was wondering how I managed to miss Pere Ubu.

I've still got my Thirty Bob Suits sleeve. Don't know where the record is.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun May 10, 2009 2:22 pm

No comment on Thirty bob suits' music, but they used to rehearse in the basement of the Washington Street Arts Centre, along with the likes of Del Amitri and Kites (eventually to become Hipsway).

A drummer friend of mine had a tom-tom go missing, only for it to turn up re-sprayed and converted to a snare in the kit of said 30 bobs. He was unamused.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun May 10, 2009 3:04 pm

Tangential to the last few posts : I had the vague notion that the reason for the use of the Bungalow Bar for gigs was that you weren't allowed to charge for entry to see a band on licensed premises in Glasgow at that time, and there was a shortage of mid-sized venues. But now I come to think of it, I saw several bands in Student Unions over the same period. Anyone know?

If the pub had a separate lounge you could hire it for a gig and sell tickets in advance which is how I saw Cado Belle and later The Rezillos at Saints and Sinners (now King Tuts). Then it was a pub with a function suite. Legally you could not charge cash at the door.
As it was a public house it had to have a bar open to the public so one room bars could not put on gigs and charge, not even if they sold tickets in advance.
Occasionally blind eyes would be turned or you could have someone at the door directing punters to buy tickets from your mate in the pub or close across the street. Something like buying drugs on The Wire.

Clubs and dance halls could put bands on and charge at the door as that was what they had been doing for years. You paid your money and you got in to dance to a band. So Zhivago's was a club that normally ran as a disco but could be hired mid week and you could sit at the till and take the cash.

Student unions ran under a club license rather than an entertainments license and were only open to their members, guests and students from a Union with which they had a reciprocal arrangement. As Strathclyde was just about a male only establishment members could sign in four females any time (as if any engineer would know four females) but could not sign any male chums on a Friday or Saturday night. Any female with an NUS card issued by an FE college would be welcome but according to the law they should not have been allowed entry as their own establishment did not have reciprocal facilities ie a bar.

On a slow Saturday night rather than say tackle the Partick Fleet Strathclyde's finest would exit the Marine cop shop and raid the QMU asking everyone for their student union membership. I'm sure they discovered some underagers but you could not be charged with gaining entry with a Beano club membership and the QMU were never prosecuted for letting in non students I was never quite sure of the point of the exercise. I suppose it kept them on their toes.

The QMU now has an entertainments license and can be hired by external promoters and sell tickets to anyone like any other venue.

The Bungalow Bar thrived as pubs and clubs in Glasgow were reluctant to put on punk bands. They were being leaned on by the Licensing Court and probably by the police. Also publicans did not like punks whom they regarded as being mostly underage and violent which of course was how they were portrayed in the press. I was on the fringe of scuffle at a Skids gig in the Art School but I did not see any punks involved in bottling off Chou Pahrot at Kelvingrove.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Sun May 10, 2009 9:56 pm

Sorry for butting in Tomsk, i`m sure Dex will ignore my post :P Does anyone know what happened with the members of Red Ellis? I saw them a few times at the Bungalow Bar and the Dial Inn, particularly remember the guy playing the guitar with a violin bow.
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby flyman » Mon May 11, 2009 10:14 am

There should be a statue erected in Cowlairs road in honour of Karl Denver coming from there.Altogether now "Wimoweh a Wimoweh" etc ............btw i must admit i'm not a fan of twee Scottish indie music but lay off the Switchblades wee Rose is a personal friend :D and the stuff she does with Current93 and the likes is anything but twee these days.
Never Get Out Of The Boat
flyman
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby frenchbloke » Mon May 11, 2009 12:58 pm

losing Tomsk's knowledge and input, regardless of personal tastes is a sad blow to an otherwise informative thread.
Christian may have been bland, but to ignore this blandness and the antithesis that such blandness inspired would be near criminal. To mention the good, we have to mention the bad, for the bad is what brings out the good. or something. For every Wet Wet Wet out there lies a Yummy Fur to bring harmony and equalise the bleh.

Hopefully it was a drunken rant from Tomsk and we shall speak no more of it once he reads what he typed in the morning.

We've all done the same.
frenchbloke
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby floweredpig » Mon May 11, 2009 8:33 pm

Josef wrote:Backing vocals, can't remember, but bass was the bloke that went off to be in Shreikback - it was the next album (and tour) that had Sara Lee.

Bungalow period :

Check the prices, btw. Probably more worthy of nostalgia than the bands. :D

And yes, I did go and see The Freeze, but I used to go to a couple of gigs there virtually every week. Honest.
Any Trouble had Clive Gregson in their line up who was a member of Richard Thompsons' band throughout the eighties
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Mon May 11, 2009 9:16 pm

Dexter wrote: And Scaryman I always recommend Glasband 80 for news about rock bands. I understand there's an interview coming soon from band member Joe Cochrane.

Cheers Dex :)
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects