Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Postby banjo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:15 pm

i heard today that glasgows very own junior campbell now writes the music for thomas the tank engine.woo woo.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby floweredpig » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:12 pm

banjo wrote:i heard today that glasgows very own junior campbell now writes the music for thomas the tank engine.woo woo.
i have seen his name on the credits of Thomas the Tank Engine DVDs but wasnt aware of who he was,mind you i still dont know who he is.But i do know that you know him.Which is something i didnt know before.
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:10 pm

floweredpig wrote:
banjo wrote:i heard today that glasgows very own junior campbell now writes the music for thomas the tank engine.woo woo.
i have seen his name on the credits of Thomas the Tank Engine DVDs but wasnt aware of who he was,mind you i still dont know who he is.But i do know that you know him.Which is something i didnt know before.

See above photo and he no ( and Mike O'Donnell) longer write the music for Thomas the Tank engine nor does he have to.

Robert Hartshorne took their place as composer, while Ed Welch wrote the new theme tune and the song
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:19 pm

From the coleection of Felonious Munk

not all from Glasgow.

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby flyman » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:35 am

I was just listening to Hearts Of Darkness by Positive Noise yesterday ah the happy sound of young Glasgow. Also RE the Silver Thread i've got fond memories of seeing most of the punk bands of the time playing there and not so fond memories of getting chased down Blackhall Street after many gigs.It was hard enough being a punk rocker(tm) in Springburn without travelling to Paisley and getting double hassle from the Buddies :D hard times indeed some areas of Glasgow considered a side shed as an act of provocation never mind vermillion green hair and yer da's old suits fashionably ripped and torn.Ah nostalgia i'm away to dig out the vinyl............................
Never Get Out Of The Boat
flyman
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ennio morricone » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:16 pm

has a top 10 or top100 of the best songs from glasgow ever been done id like to know of any little known gems i should have heard by now
ennio morricone
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Bridie » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:55 pm

Great thread - here's my ramblings to put a stop to that now :wink:
Back in my early prog rock days we have;

Shulman bros of Gentle Giant fame three brothers two of whom were born in the Gorbals
Beggars Opera

I was too young to see them honest just by a couple of years even by illegal drinking standards.

Picking up on previous posts
Coatbridge - Hugh McKenna and his talented sister Mae who was in Contraband and is still recording and doing many voiceovers.
I frequented Howff/Maggie/Bungalow/Heathery/Dial Inn/Bier Keller.Those venues were stowed out most weekends and it was really a brilliant time. Someone mentioned about payment - there was a meagre amount paid at the end of the night to the band in all those venues then - think the Howff was the worst for that! Also seen bands on a Saturday afternoon at Custom House Quay.

Could someone tell me where the Bundoran was cause I think that might have been before my time.
Also I have recollections going to a club think it was folk/trad at the bottom of Byres Road/Merkland Street? after pub closing - anyone know?

Lastly, hungryjoe mentioned Horslips - I am a total Tull freak and everytime I mention this in Ireland all I get is Oh they sound like Horslips - i don't see it myself however Horslips are still going strong and playing here too.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:17 am

Bridie wrote:
Could someone tell me where the Bundoran was cause I think that might have been before my time.

See page 4 of this thread
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:40 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Bridie wrote:

Thanks Dex although I didn't find it there - somewhere else.
That club must have been running for ages cause I'm sure my mum said she went there and she's in her 80's!

One of my biggest regrets (musically - apart from having no talent :| ) was not seeing SAAB live. I had the greatest of opportunities too as my best friend at school was the cousin of the McKenna's. She lived off Sauchiehall Street and one night in the early 70's I was up visiting her and who should walk in but Ted and Hugh visiting their auntie ( friends mother) prior to playing that night at Green's or Apollo. I was about 12/13 yrs and didn't take up the opportunity to go to see them that night.............feck
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:36 pm

Bridie wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Bridie wrote:

Thanks Dex although I didn't find it there - somewhere else.
That club must have been running for ages cause I'm sure my mum said she went there and she's in her 80's!

The older crowd still went but on a Friday or Sunday night. Young team went Saturdays.

David is the son of Francis O'Hagan (1868) and Mary Doyle (1865). He is the last born of their family. David married Ena McGinley whom he had met at The Bundoran Club in Glasgow's Sauchiehall Street. The wedding took place in November 1959 in St Michael's Church in Cresslough, Donegal.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:32 am

Vic Galloway sees his future selves.

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby searcher1946 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:20 pm

Can anyone tell me about The Hi-Fi Combo who played The Barrowlands in the sixties
searcher1946
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:42 pm

searcher1946 wrote:Can anyone tell me about The Hi-Fi Combo who played The Barrowlands in the sixties

Check this out.

http://www.rockingscots.co.uk/HIFI.htm

HI-FI COMBO (1960-71) North Ayrshire. Hugh Graham (sax),
Kenny Gordon (kb), Dick Sneddon (d), Tommy Gray (v), Charlie
Hughes (g), Andy Sneddon (lg), Billy Kane (b) died ****. From
Dec '65, line up: Kenny Munro (lg) died 1992, Eddie Johnson (kb),
Dick Sneddon (d), Andy Sneddon (b), Tommy Gray (v). Late '60s
line up: Kenny Munro (g/v), Frankie Much (d), Davy Jack (b/v),
Jimmy Townsend (v). Split in '71 after name changes, eg Mangas Colorado.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:48 pm

Back in 1967 booked a band called "los Caracas" to play Bearsden Town Hall in early 1968. Came the date they had changed their name to Middle of the Road. Had just got into the Top Twenty with their first hit. Had about 300 inside the hall and another 100plus outside trying to get in. Got charged I think £37 for damage to hedge and fence outside by the Toon Cooncil! They were brilliant. On stage by 8pm played right through with only a wee break.
Another friend booked Hermans Hermits for the Queen Margret Union plus another two bands. I think they are still paying the loss off!!! A pal booked Chuck Berry for I think the Electric Garden ? Turned up with a large minder. Demanded he got paid in cash before he went on. Carefully counted out the wad of money before going on. Played exactly 30 minutes. Told the "house band" to follow what he did. Then packed up and walked out. My pal had no idea where he went! Heard another story. Bill Haley stayed at Glasgow between gigs at the Odeon. Well he was having afternoon tea in a Glasgow Hotel and a women friend spotted him and asked for his autograph which she was graceously given. Years later when she told me and showed me the autograph with the rest of his band she remarked that "pop groups nowadayslike them Beatles -these guys would be on alcohol etc" not having tea and afternoon scones!!
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:11 pm

[quote="moonbeam"] A pal booked Chuck Berry for I think the Electric Garden ? Turned up with a large minder. Demanded he got paid in cash before he went on. Carefully counted out the wad of money before going on. Played exactly 30 minutes. Told the "house band" to follow what he did. Then packed up and walked out.

Par for the course with Chuck although I note that he's touring with his "St Louis Band" and was scheduled for Glasgow. I saw him at the Apollo in the mid-70s and left after the third or fourth out-of-tune song. He told the audience that he couldn't get his guitar in tune."Does it matter?" he asked them. "No!" they shouted back.
While I mind, your dates are a bit off: Middle of the Road didn't have their first hit until 1971. Age, memory - It happens to us all.
Le durachd,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects