Gillespie, Kidd and Coia

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Gillespie, Kidd and Coia

Postby Sharon » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:34 pm

There's an exhibition in the Lighthouse starting soon too.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Cyclo2000 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:15 am

When I was a young kid we used to go up to the Dolan Baths in East Kilbride for a swim every Thursday night. To get there we had to drive by St. Brides and it fascinated me even then. My parents hated it. Fort Apache (sadly now sans bell tower which was demolished [apparently on safety grounds] sometime in the early 80's) as it was known to all is an astonishing brick building.
Photos here...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilike/64279412/in/set-123205/

Pic with tower on the Twentith Century Society's site with accompanying essay about the Practice.
http://www.c20society.org.uk/docs/casework/gkc.html

Here's the latest Casework Report on St. Peter's, BTW
http://www.c20society.org.uk/docs/casework/2007_st_peters_seminary.html

Separate but related is the plight of St. Andrew's College in Bearsden, the residential units of which have been deserted for ages and are in a sad state of repair. I'm not sure if the educational block is still in use...but the building as a whole is now listed as at risk on the 20C Society website. There seems to be plans for a PPP school development on the site but the Grade A listing of the Residences seem to have saved them, viz...
5.3 As previously reported the Council own the site at Bearsden Academy and the preference is to
relocate and build a new school plus associated facilities at St Andrews College. The
identification of the St. Andrew’s Campus site for education emerged as the preferred location for
a new school following an open consultation with the school communities of Bearsden. The
opportunity exists through a carefully executed masterplan to develop a site of high public profile,
widely accessible and appropriate to the high standards of academic excellence achieved within
East Dunbartonshire’s schools. The St Andrews College site is owned by the University of
Glasgow and as such the Council are required to purchase the site from the University at a value
comparable to its development potential and to allow development of a coherent masterplan
including the school to take place. The funding for this project is derived from the redevelopment
of the Bearsden Academy site for 153 private residential units. The redevelopment of St
Andrews College site also requires the sensitive conversion of the former Student Residences,
Grade ‘A’ listed buildings into residential accommodation for sale on the open market.
The above from http://www.eastdunbarton.gov.uk/PDF/Bearsden%20Academy%202/AffordableHousingStatement.pdf
Pics etc...
http://www.riskybuildings.org.uk/docs/36standrews/index.html#
More here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilike/49092933/
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Luco » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:42 pm

The monstrosities those people built in Scotland...
Luco
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Beauty in Brutalism

Postby Cyclo2000 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:53 pm

I can't agree. The monumentalist, brutalist architecture of the 50s-70s has the ability to shock and fascinate and much of it remains futurist unlike many post modernist buildings of the 80s and 90s which often looked dated by the time of completion. There's a stark beauty in brutalism. In the case of the GKC buildings in C-nauld it's a damn shame that they and indeed the Town Centre megastructure were painted in the 80s cos by now the concrete would have weathered and become (as was always intended) "organic" in appearance. In the case of St. Brides in EK, I think the pictures I linked to earlier show very clearly what a remarkabley proportionate building it was even if as a brick built structure it can't really be refered to as "brutalist".
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:35 am

I went to a wedding in the Sacred Heart Church in Cumbernauld in the mid 90's, it was a beautiful clear crisp sunny winters day and the stained glass was sending coloured rays across the church catching the dust particles in the air. It was quite a unique atmosphere, something i had not really experienced before. Obviously quite deliberate on the part of the Architects and the Stained Glass Artists, very clever.

The other abiding memory of that Church was it was like a fridge, absolutely freezing. As well as the rays of light you could see everyones warm breath on the cold air. It was colder inside than it was outside.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:48 am

I was at a wedding there a coupla months back. The place wasn't busy and it was raining outside but you still got a sense of what the architects were trying to achieve. As the light changes outside the skylights above the alter change the light inside, the different patches of sky refracted into seperate shafts of colour. Unfortunately it was so cloudy we didn't get the full effect of the stained glass.

Whiles I remember..anyone know anything about the Dolan Baths in EK? Always admired it (well, until the "improvements" were made) I know it was designed by Alex Campbell but no' much else.

dollan_strut.jpg

dollan_construction.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Jamesie1970 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:28 am

Here are the details from The Lighthouse

http://www.gsa.ac.uk/%5Cdownloads%5Cpress_releases%5Ccurrent%5CNRAnnouncement.pdf

And here are some weans playing in Braehead Road
Harness your hopes to the folks with the liquor with the ropes.
Jamesie1970
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

BOAC Building & St. Bennies.

Postby Cyclo2000 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:51 am

This is their's...83-85 Buchanan Street and 6 Mitchell Lane.

BOAC Glasgow.jpg

Built in 1970 for BOAC and B listed in 1988, (making it the youngest listed building in Scotland at the time?), this copper clad building was for many years the Glasgow HQ for BT. I can remember having to go there to get a pager re-programmed. Had to wait half the day while some jobsworth fiddled with the frequency. More latterly a branch of the Halifax and now the ground floor at least is occupied by an upmarket clothes shop.
It could probably do with a wee clean as the cladding is all but unnoticable nowadays.

Searching around fur piccies threw up these,
stbenedicts.jpg

stbens_02.jpg

St Benedicts, to which Buildings of Scotland have given the unlikely soubriquet "the most distinctive building in Easterhouse". Built between 1962-5, it was Grade B listed in 1994 and renovated (new roof etc.) in 2004-5.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

St. Patricks Kilsyth, pics and link to Parish website.

Postby Cyclo2000 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:03 am

Loadsa info here and plenty pics too.

http://www.saintpatrickskilsyth.org.uk/

St pats 6.jpg

St_Patricks_Kilsyth4.jpg
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

St. Charles, 9 Kelvinside Gardens

Postby Cyclo2000 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:09 am

1044652.jpg

St Charles.jpg
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

St Brides Images.

Postby Cyclo2000 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:12 am

St Brides.jpg
St Brides 2.jpg
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

St Benedicts Drumchapel

Postby Cyclo2000 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:20 am

Interior only this time.
St Benedicts drumchapel.jpg
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Our Lady of Good Council, Craigpark

Postby Cyclo2000 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:24 am

Interiors again
Our Lady Craigpark1.jpg
Our Lady Craigpark2.jpg
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mr. B » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:40 pm

Here's some of the Local Gillespie, Kidd and Coia buildings in the Cumbernauld area.

Sacred Heart (already Mentioned)

Cumbernauld College

St. Pats Kilsyth, I go here every Sunday.

Our Lady's High School.(can't find any pics)
Mr. B
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby McShad » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:06 pm

There is something very unique and distinvtive about their building design... I should really dislike them but I've found myself fascinated and curious about them
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects