pollokshaws road archeology open day

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: pollokshaws road archeology open day

Postby gunderson » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:04 pm

m74completion.com wrote:Saturday, 10 November 2007 – Govan Iron Works / Lower English Buildings (Dixons Blazes)

Saturday, 24 November 2007 – 2nd Tenements Open Day (McKinlay St / Pollokshaws Rd)

Saturday, 8 December 2007 – 2nd Pottery Open Day at Caledonian Pottery

Saturday, 26 January 2008 – Location to be confirmed.

Saturday, 23 February 2008 - 2nd Govan Iron Works Open Day

Went past dig today & decided to check out the site. These are the dates of the next open days. Not sure when it was updated, but I couldn't see any posts for it.

Does any one know exactly where the Dixons blazes site is located? as I know it could cover a fairly big area but they are not very specific on the site & I quite fancy seeing it.
gunderson
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:19 pm

It was approx located between the southern boundary of the southern necropolis & the bottom edge of the map:Image

It can be seen a little part of it:

And here, after demolition:

Of course, I could be wrong ::):

Anyone have a modern aerial?

William Simpson's view, drawn in the late 1840s, showing William Dixon's Govan Ironworks at Hutchesontown from the south. The row of single-storey houses in front of the ironworks was known as "Collier's Raw".

The ironworks were founded by William Dixon (1788-1859), the son of the owner of the Little Govan Colliery. William extended his father's collieries in Govanhill but also, in 1839, founded an ironworks with five blast furnaces. The furnaces lit up the night sky on the south side of the River Clyde, and earned the ironworks the nickname "Dixon's Blazes".

Dixon's Blazes was acquired by Colvilles and Glasgow's last working blast furnace was in operation there until closure in 1958. In 1983 Yaqub and Taj Ali's company, A A Brothers, opened the Castle Cash and Carry Warehouse on the site.

http://www.theglasgowstory.com/

DIXON STREET, named for William Dixon of Dixon's Blazes. He was born at Govan in 1788. His wife, Elizabeth Strang, was a sister of the City Chamberlain. He died in 1862, and was succeeded by his son, the late W.S.Dixon.

http://www.glasgowguide.co.uk/info-gstreets3.html

In all it's firey glory:
http://www.nahste.ac.uk/cgi-bin/view_is ... view=basic
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sjclancy » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:01 pm

Next Open Day
Saturday, 20 October at the Caledonian Pottery site, Farmeloan Road, Rutherglen, between 10 AM and 3 PM. Visitors will get a guided tour and have the opportunity to view old maps, old photos and finds.

Visitors will also be able to talk to the archaeologists on site.
sjclancy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby engineer » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:44 pm

i think the dixon blazes site will be accessed from lawmoor road in the ind. estate
engineer
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:50 pm

sjclancy wrote:Next Open Day
Saturday, 20 October at the Caledonian Pottery site, Farmeloan Road, Rutherglen, between 10 AM and 3 PM. Visitors will get a guided tour and have the opportunity to view old maps, old photos and finds.

Visitors will also be able to talk to the archaeologists on site.

post it today looks like they have some good finds
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby mr moto » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:50 pm

i really enjoyed the first open day, so i went along to the second one today , the caledonian pottery , at farmeloan road in rutherglen . again it taught me something about glasgow,s history that i never knew before . here is the link to find out where and when the next open day,s are . http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/headlineprojectpage.aspx?pageID=812
and here are some of my pic,s of the site , and some of the find,s .
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:03 pm

Really interesting photos mr moto the Kilns are so well defined in the dig. I had no idea there was an old Pottery there.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mr moto » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:51 pm

Socceroo wrote:Really interesting photos mr moto the Kilns are so well defined in the dig. I had no idea there was an old Pottery there.

neither did i , the archeologist taking us on the tour said that this pottery works was at one time known around the world for it,s rockingham teapot,s which again i had never heard of . but, as it closed way back in 1929 , i do not suppose there are many who would remember the place .
and the thing is , with the M74 extension about to sweep everything out of it,s way this is our last chance to see and record what made glasgow what it was/is . here is another pic of what they made there . including hartley,s jam jar,s , and lashing,s of ginger beer bottles .
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:57 pm

Fantastic pics there MrMoto, thanks for keeping us all updated with this! Thanks for the backstory too HH :)

I wonder what will happen to the cobbles and kiln bases, I think they'd look amazing incorporated into the Necropolis as a path (perhaps in the lower west section, the path to the Jewish cemetery) with the kiln mases incorporated at rosettes or medallions in the path, could function as a commemoration to the old pottery or famous Glasgow folk associated with the industry... sort of along the lines of the "walk of fame" only not tacky.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby smartie » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:28 pm

Fascinating stuff !!! I'll be up for checking out the Govan Iron Works site !!! Being in the Foundry industry that i am... :P
smartie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:49 pm

Started dipping into John R Humes book - 'Industrial Archaeology of Glasgow' yesterday, a mistake as i have a report to do this weekend and once i started looking at it i could not put it down. I have had it for about 3 or 4 years, but it was really only this thread which made me pick it up again.

I then started looking at other threads on HG and kept referring back to the book.

I would recommend it to anyone with an interest in Glasgow's Industrial past. It was first published in 1974 and it is the standard text on the Industrial Archaeology of Glasgow and is still widely available from the likes of Amazon and Abe Books etc. Can be a bit pricey, i think i paid about £20 for it which is okay, but some sellers were looking for £45 and upwards.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:13 pm

An item in todays Herald

The past beneath the pavements

Isn't it a bit weird to do a major archaeological dig on twentieth-century remains? That's a question that Hugh McBrien gets a lot. McBrien, site supervisor overseeing the excavation of Victorian, Edwardian and pre-war remains lying in the path of the M74 extension, agrees that your typical archaeologist is usually looking for prehistoric pottery, not Edwardian jam jars.

He admits that the M74 excavations were "largely an experiment", driven partly by consideration for future archaeologists. But he insists it has been worthwhile - McBrien believes this huge £4.9m projectis the largest single archaeological dig ever undertaken in the UK. What was daily life like in an Iron Age broch? We'll never really know for sure. But we do know what it was like living in the shadow of Govan Iron Works, later known as Dixon's Blazes. We know that women in the tied cottages, known as Lower English Buildings, had to put their washing out in sulphurous fumes. We know that they slept in box beds. We know that the six huge blast furnaces fired 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. And we know all this because there are still plenty of people around who remember. "Everyone of 70 or over will remember that the south side sky was red every night," says McBrien. "It's part of the city's history."

Continues @ The Herald
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:17 pm

Meant to post these photos of the digs at the time , but never got around to it.
The exhibition in Scotland St School is worth a visit if you are interested.

Gorbals 19 Oct 07
big

big

big

big

big

big

big

West Street / Scotland Street
big

big

Gorbals recently