The Clyde ferries

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: The Clyde ferries

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:09 pm

The Ferries at Yoker have been under threat for similar reasons previously. I predict a smaller ferry possibly one man operated will replace the current boats. It's up to the nats.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:29 am

whit,my son works in paisley ,my brother in inchinnan,none of them drive so the ferry is needed or it would put about two hours onto their daily travel.they are not alone.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby peter » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:57 am

Could b a wee venture for anyone with a rowing boat.
"I've seen them come and I've seen them go. And I've seen them Die"
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:27 pm

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:31 pm

Well it looks like the last ferry on the upper clyde will cease to operate at the end of March after at least 500 years of linking communities on both sides of the river.

Take a trip before it's too late.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:46 pm

go to you tube and type in...save the renfrew ferry,for a nice wee song and film.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:36 am

just watched a wee film and song on you tube called save the renfrew ferry,its by a clydebank guy.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:50 am

banjo wrote:just watched a wee film and song on you tube called save the renfrew ferry,its by a clydebank guy.

brilliant
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:05 am

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:41 pm

thats the one mori,did you check out his puppets and animations.some good stuff there.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue May 25, 2010 6:35 pm

A temporary service for the summer months only for the time being.

ET

25 May 2010

Glasgow is to get a new river ferry service from tomorrow.

Passengers will be able to travel from the Broomielaw to Braehead when the River Clyde

is used to link the centre of the city with the Renfrewshire shopping destination, via Pacific Quay.

Clyde Cruises plans to run the service five days a week using the 33-seater ferry MV Fencer. The River Link service will offer return fares ranging from £2 to £6. A one-way trip will take 30 minutes.

If the service is a success then a bigger boat is likely to be brought to the Clyde, says managing director Hamish Munro.

He said: “A successful experience of operating this summer could lead to the introduction of a large clipper-style catamaran on the route in subsequent years.

“We are excited about the potential for this service.

“Our experience last summer of operating sightseeing trips on the Clyde suggests there is additional demand for this more regular river link service from local people and visitors.”

The service will run from Wednesday through to Sunday each week until September 10.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:27 pm

ET

Govan Ferry sails again

13 Dec 2010

A ferry service is to operate cross the Clyde at Govan for the first time in almost half a century.
It will provide a regular crossing from the historic shipyard area to the new Riverside Museum on the banks of Yorkhill Quay.
Glasgow City Council has given the go-ahead for pontoons to be built on either side of the river and for a major upgrade to be carried out to the approach to the pontoon in Govan.
As well as being used by passenger ferries, the pontoons may in future be expanded to accommodate the River Clyde seaplane.
The work has been welcomed by Govan councillor John Flanagan who believes it will help the regeneration of the area.
A passenger ferry crossing at Govan first started in 1734. By 1900 it carried vehicles but was withdrawn in 1965 when the Clyde Tunnel opened.
A small passenger ferry on the same route closed the following year.
The new ferry service will allow people from across the city to take the Subway to Govan and then cross the water to the Riverside Museum.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby macdonald » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:37 pm

Mori wrote:A temporary service for the summer months only for the time being.

ET

25 May 2010

Glasgow is to get a new river ferry service from tomorrow.

Passengers will be able to travel from the Broomielaw to Braehead when the River Clyde

is used to link the centre of the city with the Renfrewshire shopping destination, via Pacific Quay.

Clyde Cruises plans to run the service five days a week using the 33-seater ferry MV Fencer. The River Link service will offer return fares ranging from £2 to £6. A one-way trip will take 30 minutes.

If the service is a success then a bigger boat is likely to be brought to the Clyde, says managing director Hamish Munro.

[/img]

If the service is operated properly it will attract custom. In London, Thames Clippers started a limited sevice from Embankment to Canary Wharf. It ran at odd times and the gaps in service were irregular. Usage was low. However, popularity grew and now, five or so years later they use large fast catamarans (with bars !) and run seven days aweek from early morning to after midnight at twenty minut intervals for most of the day. The service has extended eastwards from Canary Whaff to Greenwich, the O2 and Woolwich.

The operator gets financial support from TfL (London's equivalent-ish to SPTE). It is
macdonald
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Ferrymans daughter » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:46 am

Gosh this brings back memories. My father used to drive the Govan Ferry from Govan to behind the Kelvin Hall in the 1960's and early 70's. I have a great picture of him when the Daily Record ran a story on him when he pulled a man out of the Clyde after he fell in. The ferry was free to travel on, the tokens were for the ferry at Cydebank or there was another one, think it was Finnieston which you had to pay for.
Ferrymans daughter
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby darrel » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:01 am

there was another one at finnieston I have recently been scanning my dads old slides and found a few photos of the ferries I will be posting them in the next week or so when i have finished organizing them all
http://darrels.smugmug.com/
darrel
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects