Evening Times News Sellers shouts

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Evening Times News Sellers shouts

Postby Toby Dammit » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:53 pm

Can't remember where his patch was now (outside Queen's Street possibly?), but his cry was "Eyems. Eyems. Eyems. Eyems. Eyems. Eyems." very rapidly over and over again. Very odd.
travel, films and stuff https://freakydog.wordpress.com/
Toby Dammit
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:57 am

there's at least one guy in Argylle Street whose shout of "Vinyl Times!" always amuses me. Glasgow in mainstream fetish newspaper shocker!
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby TEAMSANO » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:28 am

i remember when i sometimes stayed overnite at my grans house in castlemilk (70's) that you would get guys walking the streets on the sunday morning shouting "PAYYY-PERRRRRR"
TEAMSANO
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:13 am

Times are giving away free loaf of Kingsmill bread today( only the city centre vendors)

'Getyerreccesionlofabried heeeare'
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scottland » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:59 am

I remember as a boy in the outlying housing schemes there would be a late night Daily Record paper seller, about 10 o clock I would begin to hear the cry of Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaily R'cord.

Anyone remember a wee guy at football matches who would roam the terraces, crying erra macaroon bars and spearmint chewing gam, Why was it only Macaroon bars and spearmint chewing gam he sold.
Aye,well.
scottland
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Make it a double » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:53 pm

Corner of Polmadie Road and Wolseley Street in Oatlands , around 1967_1970 - Guy would shout what sounded like "Ad- Ji - Tote" - With particular emphasis on the 1st "T".
Last edited by Make it a double on Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make it a double
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Make it a double » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:56 pm

Corner of Polmadie Road and Wolseley Street in Oatlands , around 1967_1970 - Guy would shout what sounded like "Ad- Ji - Tote" - With particular emphasis on the 1st "T". Think it was meant to be " Eve-ning -Times" !!
Make it a double
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby rotten milk » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:34 pm

can't remember where from but "eeeee-ni ti"

the 'eeeeeee' is quite long, the 'ti' very short (like sayin 'times' but you don't get the 'mes' out ::): )
inflexion goes down on the 'eeeee-ni', but suddenly up on the 'ti', so it's likea surprised question rather than a statement ::):
hey, d'ye think it's ootside yir in?
rotten milk
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Make it a double » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:08 pm

TEAMSANO wrote:i remember when i sometimes stayed overnite at my grans house in castlemilk (70's) that you would get guys walking the streets on the sunday morning shouting "PAYYY-PERRRRRR"

Spot on - castlemilk sound that we all heard !
Make it a double
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby macdonald » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:26 am

That rings a bell. Was it at Shawfield?

scottland wrote:I remember as a boy in the outlying housing schemes there would be a late night Daily Record paper seller, about 10 o clock I would begin to hear the cry of Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaily R'cord.

Anyone remember a wee guy at football matches who would roam the terraces, crying erra macaroon bars and spearmint chewing gam, Why was it only Macaroon bars and spearmint chewing gam he sold.
macdonald
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby scottland » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:04 pm

I remember him at Ibrox.
Aye,well.
scottland
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby vikelt » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:53 pm

It wasn't just one guy shouting about macaroon bars and spearmint chewing gum, it was loads of them, at every groud around Glasgow (don't know about outside Glasgow but it's probable). I always wondered why it was only those items. I remember them from the 50s and 60s particularly. Anyone know why just those items? Should this actually be another thread?
vikelt
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:29 pm

vikelt wrote:It wasn't just one guy shouting about macaroon bars and spearmint chewing gum, it was loads of them, at every groud around Glasgow (don't know about outside Glasgow but it's probable). I always wondered why it was only those items. I remember them from the 50s and 60s particularly. Anyone know why just those items? Should this actually be another thread?

Swedgers

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:19 pm

vikelt wrote:It wasn't just one guy shouting about macaroon bars and spearmint chewing gum, it was loads of them, at every groud around Glasgow (don't know about outside Glasgow but it's probable). I always wondered why it was only those items. I remember them from the 50s and 60s particularly. Anyone know why just those items? Should this actually be another thread?

And Lanarkshire. The only other items sold at football matches were Pies 'n' Bovril (from the pie stall), and Kwenchy Cups 'n' Chipmunk ready salted crisps (usually from carboard boxes carried round the perimeter of the pitch). The latter being about twice the size of yer standard bag of crisps. I have never seen them sold anywhere other than at football matches, and you never saw any other brand there.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:19 am

There was still a guy who came round the Shed at Firhill in the early 90's selling the macaroon/chewing gum combo. I presume they worked on their own and had no affiliation to the club therefore their choice of wares would be dictated by what they could carry and get through the turnstile and what was relatively marketable.
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects