Breweries

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Breweries

Postby My Kitten » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:55 pm

Whilst looking at old pubs in Glasgow I noticed that some breweries were listed that I had never heard of -

Murdoch, Warroch and Company - Brewery in Anderston

John Struthers - Calton

Anyone got any more?

The Clockwork Beer Company, 1153-1155 Cathcart Road
Glasgow, G42 9HB

Operation since December 1997

J & R Tennent Ltd, Wellpark Brewery 161 Duke Street Glasgow
G31 1JD

Founded in 1745 and taken over by Charrington in 1963. Mainly used for brewing lager, it brewed some cask conditioned beer under the Aitken's brand between 1995 and 1998. The brewery is still in operation, but no cask ale is brewed there.

West Brewing Company Ltd Unit E8 Building 4 Templeton Businness Centre 62 Templeton Street Glasgow G40 1DA

Opened March 11th 2006, this brewpub serves authentic German style beers using authentic ingrediants and a German brewplant.

The Glaschu Brewery 250 Woodlands Road Glasgow G3 6ND

Opened in August 1994 next to their own pub, Uisge Beatha. However planning permission had not been given to the brewery and following complaints from local residents the brewery was forced to shut in March 1996. The plant was sold the Valhalla Brewery in the Shetlands.

MacLachlan's Brew Bar 57 West Regent Street Glasgow G2 2AE

Started in December 1999. Bar closed, believed to be for technical reasons and not permanently, in March 2001.

Miller's Thumb Brewing Company t/a The Canal 300 Bearsden Road
Anniesland Glasgow G13 1EB

This American-style brewpub opened in the summer of 1998. The beers are filtered and carbonated and do not fit the definition of real ale. It is believed to have closed in early 2003.

Mono Restaurant & Bar 10 King Street Glasgow G1 5QP

Glasgow's first vegan restaurant, which opened in November 2002, has installed a small plant for the production a Kolsch and fermented low alcohol fruit drinks. It is reported that due to problems with local residents, no beer is actually brewed here, but is brewed at Heather and brought to the Mono for conditioning. Although the restaurant and 1% ABV flavoured lemonandes still exist, it is reported that no "beer" products are now produced

The Pig & Whistle Brewery P & W Brewery Limited The Pig & Whistle
McNeil Street Glasgow

Brewing started in early 1984, the brewery claiming to be Glasgow's first pub brewery. Brewing is believed to have ceased by the late summer 1986.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:46 pm

I remeber a huge fire when i was a kid, around where the m8 is at seward st and someone mentioned it was the brewrey on fire ..i heard later that they demolished it... must have been around the mid 60s.

Did i imagine that or was there ever a brewery in that area ?
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:02 am

Does the former Strathalbyn Brewery, in Clydebank, count?
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby neilmc » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:43 am

onyirtodd wrote:Does the former Strathalbyn Brewery, in Clydebank, count?

Well, it had a Glasgow postcode (G81).

The problem with a lot of the brewpubs mentioned in Kitten's original post is that the beer is made with malt extract, which means they're more or less larger scale Boots' home-brew kits. I found the beer in Miller's Thumb pretty one-dimensional, and MacLachlan's beer always seemed to have a metallic tang to it - nothing to do with the fantastic stainless steel conditioning tanks they had above the bar, I hasten to add! Is the Clockwork still brewing? I haven't been in there for a couple of years.

Glasgow was famous at one time for its stouts and porters, and I would love to have tasted "Glasgow Porter". Tennents used to produce a good stout (so my old dad says), and apparently they still brew one for export only - I guess it's too good for us locals.
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby pwm437 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:58 pm

Warroch Street in Anderston named after one of the co-owners of the Anderston Brewery

Struthers Street later became Tobago Street in Calton, and originally named after Robert Struthers the brewery owner. Struthers later became the first Provost of Calton.
pwm437
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Breweries

Postby Smartalex » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:03 pm

My Kitten wrote:The Pig & Whistle Brewery P & W Brewery Limited The Pig & Whistle
McNeil Street Glasgow

Brewing started in early 1984, the brewery claiming to be Glasgow's first pub brewery. Brewing is believed to have ceased by the late summer 1986.

Don't know about a brewery but there is a pub on McNeil Street called The Pig And Whistle:-
Smartalex
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:32 pm

neilmc wrote:I hasten to add! Is the Clockwork still brewing? I haven't been in there for a couple of years.

Glasgow was famous at one time for its stouts and porters, and I would love to have tasted "Glasgow Porter". Tennents used to produce a good stout (so my old dad says), and apparently they still brew one for export only - I guess it's too good for us locals.

The Clockwork has changed hands a couple of times and no longer brews anything.

Younger of Alloa Sweetheart Stout which can be seen in the domestic market with Ann still on the label maybe brewed at Wellpark but I think Tennents sub contract beer production to Bellhaven.

ImageImage
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby neilmc » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:15 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
The Clockwork has changed hands a couple of times and no longer brews anything.

Younger of Alloa Sweetheart Stout which can be seen in the domestic market with Ann still on the label maybe brewed at Wellpark but I think Tennents sub contract beer production to Bellhaven.

Shame about the Clockwork; at least they had an adventurous range of brews.

I meant to say that the Tennents stouts I was talking about weren't the sweet variety; they apparently brewed a dry stout on draught, and the export variety is/was a strong stout. Probably a combination of Guinness domination, and Tennents own push on lager, caused its demise.
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Breweries

Postby Ally Doll » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:24 pm

My Kitten wrote:Mono Restaurant & Bar 10 King Street Glasgow G1 5QP

Glasgow's first vegan restaurant, which opened in November 2002, has installed a small plant for the production a Kolsch and fermented low alcohol fruit drinks. It is reported that due to problems with local residents, no beer is actually brewed here, but is brewed at Heather and brought to the Mono for conditioning. Although the restaurant and 1% ABV flavoured lemonandes still exist, it is reported that no "beer" products are now produced

I guess that explains the dusty looking machinery at the side of the pub!
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:16 am

Mono and Monorail. What a combination. Buy records, buy Becks and crisps sit on a sofa and read sleeve notes. Without leaving the premises.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alan L » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:25 pm

The Clockwork still sells "own brand" beers, though I doubt they're brewed on site.

I tried their lager last night, and it was rank.
Alan L
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:26 am

Alan L wrote:...........................................

Serves you right for drinking lager :wink:
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alan L » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:44 pm

onyirtodd wrote:Serves you right for drinking lager :wink:

Funnily enough, I expected a reply along those lines. :P

I don't mind a pint of real ale now and again, but often a nice cold pint of lager does the trick. Not that boufin' pish righ enough.
Alan L
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby gwendle » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:49 pm

Alan L wrote:The Clockwork still sells "own brand" beers, though I doubt they're brewed on site.

Off there the now to see some of the most miserable and stand offish bar staff I have ever....ever seen.

Tis handy though. :twisted:
gwendle
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby John » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:41 pm

Agreed that the bar staff in the Clockwork seem to go out of their way to avoid having to serve you. It used to be so much better but has gone badly downhill since the latest owner took over a while back.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects