Anderston Centre

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Apollo » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:29 pm

Basically they seem to have removed everything that wasn't part of any of the multistorey buildings.

If you remember the sloping roadway that led down from the fire station, then that roadway and most of anything that was between it and the bus station has gone. A pic would be worth a thousand words, but I never thought to take a pic of nothing the day I wandered about there, if you know what I mean.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stranger » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:18 am

typical you go away for fifteen years and they go and change things
stranger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dougie » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:42 pm

Hi

I did a project on the Anderston Centre for a course and I always found it quite a fascinating building. I think it was the largest development of its kind in Europe for a time.
I don't remember the travelator ever working, it always seemed to be switched off and the lifts at the far end would work occasionally so you never knew when you got in if you would come out for a while!
Latterly, the only shops I remember are the cafe, the newsagents, The Sound Centre, John Menzies (in the bus station), The Crucible Club (does anyone remember if there was a restaurant in the hexagonal podium alongside the Crucible) and the Pot Black pub. Until a couple of years ago, there was still a sign for Comet in Douglas Street.
One last point, the Anderston Centre is included in a list of Glasgows interesting buildings:-
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/lo/features/7012482.html

Thanks
Dougie

PS In reply to one of the earlier posts the pub beside the bus station was the Coach Inn on Blythswood Street.
Dougie
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Dougie » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:44 pm

Apollo

I took some pics of the Travelator/ escalator areas just before the bus station shut down, when I find them I will post them.

Dougie
Dougie
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby AMcD » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:05 am

Looks like the demolition of the Argyle Street side of the centre is about to start.

They cut down all the trees last week, and the front buildings have been partitioned off from the rest of the centre, with fences going up round the perimeter. The gatehouse in the service road has been moved further into the complex as well.

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=55.859683~-4.266306&style=a&lvl=18&scene=500689

Can't find the link on skyscrapercity.com to the plans for the site, but I believe it's another office/luxury flat scheme to be built on the site.
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:14 am

Yeah noticed that last night Alan, cheers for posting it :) Heres the proposal and the SSC link

Cadogan Square
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Schiehallion » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:32 am

AMcD wrote:Looks like the demolition of the Argyle Street side of the centre is about to start.

Forever immortalised in the Carling advert as the scene of the goal.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTzvMCl4Ses

This is the full length version with the SECC walkway and (I think) Buchanan Galleries. All shopping centres look the same to me.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:53 am

Schiehallion wrote:
AMcD wrote:Looks like the demolition of the Argyle Street side of the centre is about to start.

Forever immortalised in the Carling advert as the scene of the goal.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTzvMCl4Ses

This is the full length version with the SECC walkway and (I think) Buchanan Galleries. All shopping centres look the same to me.

I don't think I've ever seen it all the way through, thanks for that! 8)

I think the shopping centre is St Enoch's.

On the development, I noticed the trees had been cleared too, was surprised at how different it all looks.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:29 pm

I noticed the work starting last week... just forgot to post anything

As for the shopping centre in the advert, its not St Enoch or Buchanan Galleries. Doesnt even look like Braehead. The biggest clue is the coloured pattern on the floor
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:40 pm

I think it's braehead.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:41 pm

McShad wrote:As for the shopping centre in the advert, its not St Enoch or Buchanan Galleries. Doesnt even look like Braehead. The biggest clue is the coloured pattern on the floor

I thought it was St Enoch's because of the pillars and because there are only two Regis Hairdressers in Glasgow on Google maps... if it's not there then I don't think the shopping mall is in Glasgow!

There's a Millies Cookies too...

(I think this may be getting a bit sad, I apologise! :oops: )
Last edited by Ally Doll on Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:43 pm

I thought it was Braehead for a minute, but there is a Millies cookies in one shot, in a corner unit....

No, I don't think its Braehead either... its not a glasgow mall
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:50 pm

Watching that Carling ad reminded me that, in another HG thread looking for unsung landmarks, I was going to nominate the Birness multis at Pollokshaws which crop up in just about any city scape photo looking south due to their height and being built on a hill. They are forever creeping into rooftop photos on this site.

I never noticed in the telly version the view you get of them when the ball first goes out the window at the start.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:54 pm

Dont worry ally you arent sad, I am!

Braehead Floor Plan

http://www.braehead.co.uk/insidebraehead.pdf

Showing Millies at the corner, with a gap (as in a space not teh shop) (both seen in the clip) and a Regis too.

:wink:
Last edited by My Kitten on Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:00 pm

Livingston shopping centre :?:
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects