Anderston Centre

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:01 pm

To true. Everything from the Buttery to the brolly is indeed dead or dying. The only shop remaining from child hood is Victor Morris which continues to go from strength to strength. What Everyone Wants is long gone, along with all the shops which inhabited the pavement across from it. At the bit where the buses used to exit on the corner was a great wee cafe, but the name escapes me...anyone know?
If no body's perfect, why practise?
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:05 pm

Missing Records probably being the exception that proves the rule in that part of town. It's been in a couple of locations in the area, but still seems to be surviving.
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:09 pm

JayKay wrote:Missing Records probably being the exception that proves the rule in that part of town. It's been in a couple of locations in the area, but still seems to be surviving.

Seems to be getting smaller and smaller though.

I remember when it was two shops, Missing and Rewind. It was an excellent shop back then. Remember the tiny upstairs vinyl bit? I bought tons of records from them.

I get the impression it was at its height when it had the shop round the corner from where it is ow, the one on two levels. It was at that time they had a shop on Great Western Road and one at the Trongate.

Now they're both gone and they're back in a wee, almost pokey shop.
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:35 pm

JayKay wrote:Missing Records probably being the exception that proves the rule in that part of town. It's been in a couple of locations in the area, but still seems to be surviving.

I was talkin to one of the guy's in Missing a while back and said that business was down due to the folk downloading from the net. Hence most of the shops closing down.Sign of the times.

West End records down in Partick Cross was one of my faves, the guy always beat the price that Virgin,HMV and the now gone Tower Records were asking 8).
Last edited by Pgcc93 on Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:08 pm

No surprise about record shops being hit by downloading. I remember West End Records well, always a good place to pick up that limited edition CD single or whatever that was totally sold out in the city centre.
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:37 pm

Dr. Lightning wrote:I remember when it was two shops, Missing and Rewind. It was an excellent shop back then. Remember the tiny upstairs vinyl bit? I bought tons of records from them.

:D Me too. Mind the big fat guy that worked in there? When he came upstairs
you felt the whole floor move!

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:54 pm

james73 wrote:
Dr. Lightning wrote:I remember when it was two shops, Missing and Rewind. It was an excellent shop back then. Remember the tiny upstairs vinyl bit? I bought tons of records from them.

God yeah, I remember him!

I bought loads of Smiths stuff, a lot of early Teenage Fanclub and BMX Bandits stuff. And loads of Cud singles.

I liked Cud. They were wonderfully mad.
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:09 pm

james73 wrote:

James H

Loving that avtar & signature mate. Started watching Monkeydust a few weeks ago. Class as!
If no body's perfect, why practise?
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:36 am

Strangely, I've never walked in the area of the anderston Centre for years, though I've driven through the roads they've pushed through it. Even so, it was a complete surprise to see how it had changed, so much of the part towards the city simply having been vapourised. There was me posting ages ago about this being the site of a travellator. Had to think hard as to why Clydeforth Computers was familiar, then remembered they had tried to sell us a (crap) digital document filing system yonks ago. Not their fault, they were all pathetic back then.

There would have been another pic showing the structure of the upper building above the Hilton offices, although it's an interesting structure, all the vertical features just form a meaningless blur in a pic as they've weathered and lost their original sign. You'll have to go an look for yourself to get the effect.

Somebody's not reading the signs.

These guys have been here almost since day 1, not even updated their phone code!

An orignal feature, managing to survive the years.

Another survivor.

Original decoration.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:21 pm

The rest of my Anderston Centre pics. I'd guess there are more than the desired residents running around there, since the residents are clearly actively promoting the large, furry feline variety. I'd advise a little caution when walking around at ground level, as it looks as if they just empty the litter boxes over the edge of the nearby balconies 8O

Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stranger » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:43 pm

sorry im a little bit behind on this topic just joined the forum

i remember the travelator in the eighties you went up the escalators at
the east end and the travelator kind of took you over the top of the travel centre to the shops i seem to remember they boxed it in in the late 80s
is this part of the centre still there or has it been demolished?

stranger

ps if you want to see one of the rare occasions that it was working
find a copy of restless natives they must have switched it on for the film
cause i can hardly remember it working any other time
stranger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby stranger » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:45 pm

also wasnt there an exhibition hall at the shopping centre
seem to remember going to a careers show there when i was at school
stranger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby yourebarred » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:43 pm

my mate has a flat in the dalriada, but he's in china until august. hope they dont knock it down before then, he'd get a fucking fright!
yourebarred
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:16 pm

Afraid the travelator and escalator section is the part that's gone, though the adjacent bits they connected are more or less still there.

I must have been lucky, the travelator was usually running whenever I was there, enjoyed walking along and whizzing past the folk that elected not to use it. Always though it was mean of the owners only to put one in though, so you still had to walk out conventionally.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stranger » Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:57 pm

wow it must look a bit wierd have they knocked down the old travel centre
i thought the travelator was on its roof
stranger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects