Anderston Centre

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Ally Doll » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:55 am

More me not wanting to open a window that high up with no one there to hang on to my heels! :roll: :wink: Will try and be braver next time!
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nach0king » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:31 am

I work at "Cadogan Square", above the centre (and immediatley below Dalriada). Demolition is currently in progress; the construction workers have erected wooden dividers to segregate us office workers from the local residents, and the local residents from the demolition team. As such, it's hard to see what's going on.

I don't suppose all of it will be knocked down as long as my company's there, but it's future is far from certain. As such, I took a few photos.

Also: someone had photos of the cats and their boxes earlier in the thread. As far as I know, the cats are fine, but have moved elsewhere in the complex.

Anyway, here are the pictures. Apologies for the poor lighting; it was just after midday, not a good time for photography.

nach0king
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby YokerBloke » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:29 pm

I'm always amazed at how bleak and empty that place looks
http://www.tracertong.co.uk
YokerBloke
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nach0king » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:37 pm

You should try working there; see how bleak and empty you feel after your first week ::):

Predictable flippancy aside, during the summer months, it's actually not bad. The high flats are populated partially by foreigners (I think they're asylum seekers but I don't want to make that assumption) and they, along with some local residents, make the little "plaza" that catches the sun quite a pleasant place to be when the sun's out. Some little kids will kick a football around while their mothers sit on the planters and watch, smiling. It's almost like all those "artist's impression" sketches of Brutalist living machines have come to life.

Then, of course, it rains, and the place empties out, bar the smokers under the canopy.

p.s. Deus Ex fan?
nach0king
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby YokerBloke » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:15 am

nach0king wrote:You should try working there; see how bleak and empty you feel after your first week ::):

Predictable flippancy aside, during the summer months, it's actually not bad. The high flats are populated partially by foreigners (I think they're asylum seekers but I don't want to make that assumption) and they, along with some local residents, make the little "plaza" that catches the sun quite a pleasant place to be when the sun's out. Some little kids will kick a football around while their mothers sit on the planters and watch, smiling. It's almost like all those "artist's impression" sketches of Brutalist living machines have come to life.

Then, of course, it rains, and the place empties out, bar the smokers under the canopy.

p.s. Deus Ex fan?
I just noticed the flags from the veranda in one of the shots. Doing their bit to brighten up the drab building.

Deux Ex! Damn straight! My favourite FPS ever!
http://www.tracertong.co.uk
YokerBloke
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nach0king » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:12 am

Yeah, I got some close-ups of the flags, too, but I liked the long shot to contrast it with the all-encompassing bleakness 8)

Deus Ex truly is a superb game. Occasionally I get the urge to reinstall it and play through it again. There are some pretty inventive ways of playing it. You should check out this site if you haven't already:

http://www.it-he.org/
nach0king
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby AMcD » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:57 pm

Looks like with Franbrough House gone, the demolition crew has finally started on the Anthony Street of the Anderston Centre.

Looks like it'll go pretty quickly.
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:03 pm

AMcD wrote:Looks like with Franbrough House gone, the demolition crew has finally started on the Anthony Street of the Anderston Centre.

Looks like it'll go pretty quickly.

Wait a mintue, is that since this morning?! I could've sworn there was a side on that building earlier! Or maybe that when I was avoiding that bus...

Anyway, I think it's a bit of a shame. The building's weird, but it's kind are going to be wiped out...
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AMcD » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:14 pm

Aye, just started this morning.

A before shot taken yesterday.
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:35 pm

These pics are from the Film Restless Natives and Im sure they are of the Anderson bus station, even with the Princess street sign (I remember the roof from when I used to be taken on the bus to visit my granny in Johnston).

And is this the famed convayor that has been talked about in this thread a few times?

Sorry if its not Anderson, the last time I got the bus to Johnston was before I went to school and Im 30 now but thought it would be interesting to this thread if it was.

Dave.
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:12 am

aye its Anderson 8)
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Apollo » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:38 pm

Nice shots. ORBIT shop sign at the end of the walkway also does the confirmation bit.

ORBIT was one of those cheap discount stores that sold 'anything', bit of forerunner to the £1 stores nowadays, but not limited to £1 :)
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dougie » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:06 pm

Didn't Orbit become a snooker club for a while?

Also, can anyone remember where the Presto supermarket was? I've a feeling it was in the Comet building originally but I'm not entirely sure.

Always great to see that travelator but I never remember it working!!
Dougie
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Apollo » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:04 am

The snooker club might have been opposite Orbit, but I never paid any attention to it, so can't be sure, but I always remember passing it.

The travelator was usually working when I was there (which was occasional), but the place was eternally deserted. Even so, it didn't seem to be be popular, with a 50/50 split of folk using/not using it. I liked as you could whizz pst the folk walking (provided you weren't lazy and walked along it) with the a fair wind blowing around you, it wasn't exactly slow.

I don't even remember a Presto, or similar supermarket, there were quite a few smaller shops though - the Comet was previously (James?) McOnomy.

Maybe it was in the area to the right of Orbit, would've been big enough, and I never went that way - usually heading for McOnomy or RSC along the travelator!
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:34 am

There was a Safeway there, I think it was next door to the church that was where the Marriot is now, the Marriot may even be on part of it.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects