Gala Days/Parades, Fairs and Festivals

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Gala Days/Parades, Fairs and Festivals

Postby Alex Glass » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:16 pm

At this time each your many communities celebrate community life through a Gala Day or Parade. There may even be a Fair or a Festival that demonstrated a coming together of community people.

These events are part of a local tradition and will have been well documented in photographs. I thought that it would be a worthwhile project to try and discover how these community events have changed over the years.

So, do you have any old photographs or fond memories of a local Gala that you attended?

It would also be good if we could get a list of all those Galas and Fairs that are still going strong today. May will have been mentioned in the "What's On" Section but others may not. When do they usually take place each year?

Hope you can help with some old and new photos together with your memories.

Thanks to Ally Doll for prompting me to try this topic by mentioning the Carluke Gala in another thread.

I did try searching and couldn't find a similar topic so I hope it is ok.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:34 pm

Pollokshaws Carnival Day ( think this is a new one)
Govan Fair
Dalmuir Illuminations (brilliant!)
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:38 pm

Thanks Kitten

I know for years Pollokshaws people have tried a number of different events. Hope this one is/was successful.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:47 pm

My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

South Nitshill Gala Parade

Postby Alex Glass » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:00 pm

The South Nitshill Gala Week took place for many years and was held the last week in June.

In 1990 it extended to two weeks to fit in with the Year of Culture the theme that year was Mary Queen of Scots and Lord Darnley. Three years later my daughter was the Gala Queen.

I have more photos but need to scan them. Here are a couple previously posted on another topic.

They organised competitions between the local school children and had events all week. On the Saturday of the Parade they held an awards ceremony and at night there was a dance in the community centre.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Greater Pollok and Pollokshaws Intigration Network Fun Day

Postby Alex Glass » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:52 am

The fun day took place on Friday 6th July 2007 in King George V Park, Carnwadric.

The organisers hope to make it an annual event.

Here are some photos i took

Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:32 am

Website on one of the oldest galas in Glesga
Govan Fair

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dave2 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:37 am

Good to see the council showing off their new vehicles.

Advantages
Environmentally friendly,
Low Co2 production (but high methane)
Cheaper fuel
Lower speed therefore less collisions with other vehicles

Disadvantages
Higher maintenance
Must carry waste with it to base
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:31 am

Mori wrote:Website on one of the oldest galas in Glesga
Govan Fair

i was this years for first time in a good few and all i did was get into a conversation about what was more handsome the sheeps heid or counsellor steven dornan who was carrying it :D
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby neilmc » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:55 am

Alex, good to see your photos of the South Nitshill Gala: pity you can't quite see the 'Sky Dragon', the best Chinese takeaway in the area. I look forward to seeing the rest of your pics.
Gala days are one of the things that hold communities together, and it's hard to believe Southie was allowed to deteriorate so quickly in the mid '90s, not long after these photos were taken. I remember around 1995 that despicable rag the ET printed an article demanding that the flats on Parkhouse Road be demolished because they were an 'eyesore'. Funny how the place went downhill so soon after that......
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:21 pm

neilmc wrote:Alex, good to see your photos of the South Nitshill Gala: pity you can't quite see the 'Sky Dragon', the best Chinese takeaway in the area. I look forward to seeing the rest of your pics.
Gala days are one of the things that hold communities together, and it's hard to believe Southie was allowed to deteriorate so quickly in the mid '90s, not long after these photos were taken. I remember around 1995 that despicable rag the ET printed an article demanding that the flats on Parkhouse Road be demolished because they were an 'eyesore'. Funny how the place went downhill so soon after that......

I found this gem which I thought might be of interest to you Neil.

It is the Gala Parade from 1992 the year when my daughter was the Gala Queen. I have more and will post them later buth thought this one too good to post with the others.

Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby neilmc » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:44 am

Wow, great photo Alex! You can see the old Willowford Club on the right of the pic, which was linked to St. Bernard's Chapel - rumour is it was closed down because it was a 'den of sin' built on 'hallowed ground'; it is now a piece of rubbish-strewn hallowed waste land.
Look forward to the rest of the photos. I know it's not relevant to the Gala Day theme of this thread but do any of your pics show the Sky Dragon when it was still the Victor chip shop?
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:20 pm

Hi Neil

It is amazing what you find in some old photos. I didn't realise I had a photo of part of the old St Bernard's Hall.

They had a busy wee bingo session every Tuesday night. Don't know how true your story is :D

I don't think I have any photos of Victor's (the best wee chippie) although I do remember taking some black and white photos at the time of the death of a 3 year old boy on the hill. He ran in front of a bus.

I will have to see if I still have these photos to check if any included the chippie.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:36 am

neilmc wrote:Wow, great photo Alex! You can see the old Willowford Club on the right of the pic, which was linked to St. Bernard's Chapel - rumour is it was closed down because it was a 'den of sin' built on 'hallowed ground'; it is now a piece of rubbish-strewn hallowed waste land.
Look forward to the rest of the photos. I know it's not relevant to the Gala Day theme of this thread but do any of your pics show the Sky Dragon when it was still the Victor chip shop?

What was hallowed about the ground?

I think it went the way of most Social Clubs when Glasgow District Council's fully independent and non sectarian Licensing Board allowed the pubs to open all day on Sundays.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:57 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
neilmc wrote:Wow, great photo Alex! You can see the old Willowford Club on the right of the pic, which was linked to St. Bernard's Chapel - rumour is it was closed down because it was a 'den of sin' built on 'hallowed ground'; it is now a piece of rubbish-strewn hallowed waste land.

What was hallowed about the ground?

I think it went the way of most Social Clubs when Glasgow District Council's fully independent and non sectarian Licensing Board allowed the pubs to open all day on Sundays.

May be this did happen to some clubs but in the case of St Bernard's there was a fire that damaged a considerable part of the building and the Church didn't have the funds available to carry out the necessary repairs.

Not that it was well used in its final years and may even have closed before the fire took place. However, it was demolished never to be replaced.

The Church are currently looking for a buyer for the site.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects