Winston Barracks

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Winston Barracks

Postby Sharon » Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:02 pm

Does anyone have any photos of this in use?
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:11 am

No phots I'm afraid, however... I do have some interesting family background from the site.

My Grandfather, Percy Hurst, was posted there during WW2, where he met my Gran (a resident of Lanark). They married in '44, before he went off to Normandy, then later the Netherlands and accross the Rhine into Germany. He demobbed in Italy.

His unit, when he de-mobbed, was the 4th Royal Tank Regiment, but I'm not sure if thats who was stationed at the Barracks in '44. The 4th RTR was, I believe, the 114th Lancs regiment, but my info on this is sketchy. Wonder if theres anyone out there would know where to get better info?

I also think Lanark has a memorial Hall/museam, which may or may not have pictures of the Barracks in use. You could try contacting the local newspaper as well, the Carluke and Lanark Gazette.

On a side note, Lanark has had a barracks since way back as early as the 18th Centruary, but I'm not sure if it's always been on the same site.

Hope some of this helps/is of interest.

Jamie M
Carluke

Postby Sharon » Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:51 pm

A brief visit today confirmed the barrracks havent hanged much since I was last there. Just a little more overgrown and a few more slates fallen from the roofs.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

lanark museum

Postby leper_2000 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:59 pm

the lanark museum is a small church building at 8 West Port, Lanark
(ML11 9HD) up a bit from the shell garage. i havent been in in a few years
but im sure i rememeber there being a few photos of the place in use as well as a lot of historical stuff on the race course (one of the oldest billboard things they use for racing in britian i was told). we used to play football on saturdays in the pitches and used a couple of the buildings for changing rooms. it was in pretty bad condition then (mid 90's) and i think the danish mititary were meant to have bought it then sold it on again..i dont know much else but il have a poke around next time im home.. incidentally we used to loiter with intent in the grounds of bellfield hospital..i was gutted to hear theyd knocked it down. will see if my dad has any pictures from when we were little..
btw lanark museum Tel: 01555 666680
leper_2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Kennedy Heroin » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:05 am

According to this list of planning applications (scroll down to page 18), most of the buildings making up the barracks are scheduled for demolition.

Geograph has one picture of the barracks as they were a couple of years back.
Kennedy Heroin
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby dazza » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:34 am

Eeeh, where did you find this old thread?

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/WinstonBarracks/index.htm
dazza
-
-

Postby JayKay » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:38 pm

I hear that the scheduled demolition and redevelpment of the site (into luxury homes, needless to say) has been put on hold due to endangered bat colonies on the site.
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:43 pm

I went there when I was at primary school for a safety event (maybe 1993-4?). It was in a fairly good condition then, we used some of the buildings for lessons about how to deal with gas leaks!

Is there a station there? I remember the British Transport Police giving us a talk on how going on the railway tracks was a bad idea!
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scallopboy » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:35 pm

Ally Doll wrote:I remember the British Transport Police giving us a talk on how going on the railway tracks was a bad idea!

Except when it saves you 2 miles of muddy feet.
scallopboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Kennedy Heroin » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:54 pm

dazzababes wrote:Eeeh, where did you find this old thread?

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/WinstonBarracks/index.htm

I was on 28dayslater and someone mentioned it amongst a list of hunners found through geograph. The power of google sent me back here! :D
Kennedy Heroin
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: lanark museum

Postby JayKay » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:02 pm

leper_2000 wrote:
incidentally we used to loiter with intent in the grounds of bellfield hospital..i was gutted to hear theyd knocked it down. will see if my dad has any pictures from when we were little..
btw lanark museum Tel: 01555 666680

be nice to see any pics of Bellfield - some friends of mine now live in one of the new hooses built there.

Should also take a look at the museum next time I'm there, I'm out in Lanark pretty regularly these days.
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects