Sailing Doon the Clyde.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby duck » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:53 pm

I'm sure our paths must have crossed at some point on the Firth, Dugald!
Your story of the piper on Lochranza pier made me think of the days at the end of the season when the Duchess would make her last call- all those toilet rolls and bags of flour that went flying backwards and forwards from pier to steamer!! You might like these two pics - obviously en route to Campbeltown!
Oh, and not sure if you know that there is now a proper pier there again - have a read of this article!

http://www.calmac.co.uk/Default.aspx.Lo ... ang-EN.htm

Image[/url]
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dugald » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:45 pm

Thank you for the pictures of Lochranza Duck. Isn't the village a sight to behold! And the steamer too... I think I'd even have recognized that "T"-chimney on the back-end of the Duchess! Yes, I've witnessed the " toilet rolls and bags of flour"-shenanigens at the end of the season, not at Lochranza, but at Brodick. The SYHA at Lochranza was the venue for our cycling club in Glasgow's long September weekends, and many's the time we danced in the wee hall in the village to the accompaniment of a local fiddle band... great fun!

No, I didn't know there was a new pier at Lochranza. I read and enjoyed your article about the pier. I have used the Cloanaig Ferry quite a few times then cycled the grueling 28miles over the Carradale Road to C/town, so I did get to use the two Cal/Mac slips. I've slept on that ferry too (the one with the turntable)!

Happily I can't go back to the day "115 years after PS Scotia called to open the village's original pier in 1888", but I can, as mentioned in my opening post, go back to the days of the Clyde & Campbeltown shipping company's Davaar and Dalriada. One or the other called every weekday at Lochranza, so the pier was always kept busy. The war of course put an end to that. After they departed the Clyde, a wee boat (not a "puffer") called the "Ardine" took over the goods-delivery to the Kintyre/Kilbrannen ports, but she didn't take passengers, so I never sailed on her. Wonder if they have a piper piping the present day steamer departures like they did in the past.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Sailing Doon the Clyde.

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:10 pm

Here's the story of the decline of the Tuxedo Royale sister ship to the the Princess.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/mar/02/middlesbrough-nightclub-lists-poverty

The Tuxedo Princess is apparently in Greece. One wonders what kind of a state it's in.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:12 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Here's the story of the decline of the Tuxedo Royale sister ship to the the Princess.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/mar/02/middlesbrough-nightclub-lists-poverty

The Tuxedo Princess is apparently in Greece. One wonders what kind of a state it's in.

Probably scrapped in Turkey.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:37 pm

I worked only a few hundred yards to where the Tuxedo Princess was berthed at Andesrton and the staff would hand in these invites every now and then .. l still have tickets for a Edwin Starr gig on the ship and if l ever find them l will be sure to post them ::):

1980's Tuxedo Princess, Anderson Quay, Glasgow. Keyring

1989 Tuxedo Princes, Anderston Quay, Broomielaw, Glasgow

1989 Tuxedo Princes, Anderston Quay, Broomielaw, Glasgow
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:47 pm

I have some stuff on Cal-Mac on flickr for anyone who may be interested. It's info accumulated from various parts of the web and books which starts with David Hutcheson through to Cal-Mac. For items solely on MacBraynes' go to flickr and search 'MacBrayne'.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertpool ... 406945184/

where do l get all this stuff from .... l really need a good clear out!

Bobby
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:47 pm

robertpool wrote:I have some stuff on Cal-Mac on flickr for anyone who may be interested. It's info accumulated from various parts of the web and books which starts with David Hutcheson through to Cal-Mac. For items solely on MacBraynes' go to flickr and search 'MacBrayne'.

Bobby

Bobby do you find this at car boots etc?
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:58 pm

looking at your stuff there robert and could not help but see that the tuxedo folk were not too fussed how the printers would prefer to spell anderston.with or without the t.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:51 am

::):
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:53 am

Bridie wrote:
robertpool wrote:I have some stuff on Cal-Mac on flickr for anyone who may be interested. It's info accumulated from various parts of the web and books which starts with David Hutcheson through to Cal-Mac. For items solely on MacBraynes' go to flickr and search 'MacBrayne'.

Bobby

Bobby do you find this at car boots etc?

Auctions and other private collectors :) some bits and pieces do come from car boot sales
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby maxruby » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:55 am

Bobby, would you have any objection to me posting the link on the Ships of Calmac forum?
maxruby
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:20 pm

maxruby wrote:Bobby, would you have any objection to me posting the link on the Ships of Calmac forum?

no problem what's so ever
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects