Re: Sculptures and Statues around Glasgow

Postby rabmania » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:25 pm

A poignant pic HH, like it.
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby clearaspace » Sat May 16, 2009 3:02 pm

Hi.....can you tell me a bit about the history of the Reconciliation Sculpure?. Why was it put there originally.? It was mentioned about its new coating. What did it look like originally?
Also why was it placed behind Silverburn and not in a more public place?

Thanks,
Much appreciated!
clearaspace
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Alex Glass » Sat May 16, 2009 8:18 pm

Responded to your PM Clearaspace

but to add

during construction of the new Silverburn and the work at the Pollok Civic Realm the statue was removed for safety. Due to the changes that took place at the original location it was decided that the statue should be placed in a space that would provide it with some protection and still be viewable by the public.

The statue hasn't really changed much since it was originally brought to Pollok the colour hasn't changed the comment was about putting a protective coating on it to restore it to its original form having been taken away and put in storage it was felt that could be provided with more protection against the elements.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby fourbytwo » Mon May 18, 2009 2:03 pm

fourbytwo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Mon May 18, 2009 10:03 pm

I've lost the plot here, FB2. That location does not look like the old Pollok Centre yet it is quite farmiliar. Where is it?
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby clearaspace » Mon May 18, 2009 11:40 pm

That must be the one in Liverpool or Berlin?

Still trying to find out the significance of the word reconciliation to Pollock or even Glasgow. Can anyone enlighten?
In Liverpool apparently to do with slave trade and I think it may be near docks.
clearaspace
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dave » Tue May 19, 2009 6:02 am

Concert St so not too far from the docks

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 87,,2,3.06

It's head is missing in GSV but this is the only viewable angle
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby fourbytwo » Tue May 19, 2009 10:37 am

8O I did some research several years ago, but lost most of this when my Mac crashed, the view was downloaded from the web, and is one of the better images....
As far as I can remember, 4 statues were produced in total and the artist (????), intended them to be sited in locations where confrontation was a historical reference, and there was also reference to history in areas where slavery and human misery were associated.
If I am correct, they were placed in Liverpool, Belfast, Berlin and South Africa, quite why Pollok inherited this image I assume was part of a comment on Glasgow's history of religious bigotry.
However, I stand to be corrected....however, what has gone from the Pollok statue is the additional metal work at the base which proported to represent the various local communities in Pollok, but was either removed or amended by the Council because people were tripping over the small shapes representing houses.
My initial thoughts were to have the statue 'waxed' so that the weather-beaten patina would remain, and also thought it would be perfect to be located in the main mall of the new Silverburn Centre, for all to debate over, however the management decided against this, and to ensure this sculpture was not 'lost in Council vaults', harrassed the local Councillor Alex Glass to monitor its storage
So, its new 'home' is a spare piece of land opposite the bus stance, with most of its significance lost to the passer-by.
I wish I could remember who actually commissioned the work, and where, the 'original' is located, but it is certainly something that Pollok has taken to its heart, and perhaps its final location, if there is one, will truly reflect the artist's intentions....
Pay it a visit, why don't you................? :P
fourbytwo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby clearaspace » Tue May 19, 2009 11:54 am

fourbytwo wrote:8O I did some research several years ago, but lost most of this when my Mac crashed, the view was downloaded from the web, and is one of the better images....
As far as I can remember, 4 statues were produced in total and the artist (????), intended them to be sited in locations where confrontation was a historical reference, and there was also reference to history in areas where slavery and human misery were associated.
If I am correct, they were placed in Liverpool, Belfast, Berlin and South Africa, quite why Pollok inherited this image I assume was part of a comment on Glasgow's history of religious bigotry.
However, I stand to be corrected....however, what has gone from the Pollok statue is the additional metal work at the base which proported to represent the various local communities in Pollok, but was either removed or amended by the Council because people were tripping over the small shapes representing houses.
My initial thoughts were to have the statue 'waxed' so that the weather-beaten patina would remain, and also thought it would be perfect to be located in the main mall of the new Silverburn Centre, for all to debate over, however the management decided against this, and to ensure this sculpture was not 'lost in Council vaults', harrassed the local Councillor Alex Glass to monitor its storage
So, its new 'home' is a spare piece of land opposite the bus stance, with most of its significance lost to the passer-by.
I wish I could remember who actually commissioned the work, and where, the 'original' is located, but it is certainly something that Pollok has taken to its heart, and perhaps its final location, if there is one, will truly reflect the artist's intentions....
Pay it a visit, why don't you................? :P

I was there last week and took some good photies...........I agree, it seems stuck in the middle of nowhere. At the back of the shops at the delivery entrances. Only thing is it is beside bus terminuses

Thanks for the really useful info. We are looking at this kind of thing for a dissertation.
clearaspace
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby fourbytwo » Tue May 19, 2009 2:09 pm

8O 8O Yes I agree...
I did have a hard copy of a prepared submission at the Art School, some 17 pages or so, but changed my mind and presented something else, that was in 1998....If I can find it, will lodge report in these pages, and you can have it to save you some research time..... :idea:
fourbytwo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby clearaspace » Tue May 19, 2009 11:05 pm

fourbytwo wrote:8O 8O Yes I agree...
I did have a hard copy of a prepared submission at the Art School, some 17 pages or so, but changed my mind and presented something else, that was in 1998....If I can find it, will lodge report in these pages, and you can have it to save you some research time..... :idea:

Thanks.its for my daughter. She is doing it on public\private art in Glasgow........so any info would be helpful and greatly appreciated
clearaspace
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby fourbytwo » Fri May 22, 2009 10:06 am

8) ....not looking too good for file on reconciliation, searched attic but not there, have another archive, will search at weekend, but should have been in attic room......sorry :oops:
fourbytwo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby clearaspace » Fri May 22, 2009 2:43 pm

fourbytwo wrote:8) ....not looking too good for file on reconciliation, searched attic but not there, have another archive, will search at weekend, but should have been in attic room......sorry :oops:

very much appreciated!!! Running out of time at this end too!!! (if you manage to find it, would be great!)
Thanks loads!
clearaspace
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby fourbytwo » Mon May 25, 2009 5:02 pm

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv17 ... rtrait.jpg[img][http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv174/fourbytwo/selfportrait.jpg/img] :oops: Sorry about reports on Reconciliation, checked my files, several were loaned to Art School for their archives, I can only assume this was amongst the ones they wanted.......very sorry
fourbytwo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects