Glasgow's Ghost Streets

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby elgee » Sun May 06, 2007 11:52 pm

Get a fekkin street map or use Streetmap ya twit. Tis HiddenGLASGOW yer on ffs
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cybers » Sun May 06, 2007 11:55 pm

Excalibur wrote:Is that last picture from just off Kilmarnock Road, heading into Newlands?

Theres also a road which stretched from the top of Birgidale Rd in Castlemilk to the village of Carmunnock, but has now been blocked off at the Castlemilk end. I've no idea if any posts exist on this however, or if it was anything more than a farm track.

I know this road you mean. It used to run to a building that is just to the east of Carmunnock think it was a council depot of sorts though please don,t quote me on that.
Road got sealed at Castlemilk end in 81 i think. it had a branch that took you out in the middle of Carmunnock. was never much more than a track as i remember it
cybers
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Graham » Sun May 06, 2007 11:57 pm

elgee wrote:Get a fekkin street map or use Streetmap ya twit. Tis HiddenGLASGOW yer on ffs

Did you stay up late to post that? :roll:
I was banned for being homophobic.
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Mon May 07, 2007 12:14 am

Excalibur wrote:Theres also a road which stretched from the top of Birgidale Rd in Castlemilk to the village of Carmunnock, but has now been blocked off at the Castlemilk end. I've no idea if any posts exist on this however, or if it was anything more than a farm track.

In that same ballpark! There's a Road at the end of Blaeloch Dv that takes you here;

I've always been told this is an old Army Barracks (nothing on Google) and meant to go for a wee lookie. Does anyone know any different

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cybers » Mon May 07, 2007 12:20 am

Thats the old gunsight m8 it is posted on here as i seen it the other night.
Used to kick around up there in my yoof...:)
cybers
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby elgee » Mon May 07, 2007 12:34 am

Och aye,that ill be it, stayed up too late, got tired n emotional. ::): Feks sake....
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Graham » Mon May 07, 2007 6:20 am

elgee wrote:Och aye,that ill be it, stayed up too late, got tired n emotional. ::): Feks sake....

Naww, I just thought you were all excited...what with being able to stay up past 8pm because it wasn't a school night :wink:
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Excalibur » Mon May 07, 2007 2:15 pm

cybers wrote:
Excalibur wrote:Is that last picture from just off Kilmarnock Road, heading into Newlands?

Theres also a road which stretched from the top of Birgidale Rd in Castlemilk to the village of Carmunnock, but has now been blocked off at the Castlemilk end. I've no idea if any posts exist on this however, or if it was anything more than a farm track.

I know this road you mean. It used to run to a building that is just to the east of Carmunnock think it was a council depot of sorts though please don,t quote me on that.
Road got sealed at Castlemilk end in 81 i think. it had a branch that took you out in the middle of Carmunnock. was never much more than a track as i remember it

It was only when I looked at a map the other night, trying to find a street in Carmunnock onto the Braes that I noticed it. The map showed it as a complete road so it must be an oldish map. I've certainly never noticed it in all the times I've been at the roundabout in Ardencraig Rd but then I've not exactly been looking for it.
Excalibur
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Excalibur » Mon May 07, 2007 2:18 pm

Peekay wrote:
Excalibur wrote:Is that last picture from just off Kilmarnock Road, heading into Newlands?.

It's not Newlands, it's Auldhouse. That's Mossgeil Rd you can see down the wee lane! I live in the 'orrible broon flats at the top of the hill to the right. Great views over Glasgow from the Hillpark shops if anyone is interested.

PK

Yep, also great views from any of the top floor flats on Hillark Drive as well.
Excalibur
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Peekay » Mon May 07, 2007 2:28 pm

Excalibur wrote:
Peekay wrote:
Excalibur wrote:Is that last picture from just off Kilmarnock Road, heading into Newlands?.

It's not Newlands, it's Auldhouse. That's Mossgeil Rd you can see down the wee lane! I live in the 'orrible broon flats at the top of the hill to the right. Great views over Glasgow from the Hillpark shops if anyone is interested.

PK

Yeah. I'm pi$$ed off the 'Shaws aren't getting blown down. That would have been 'the' place to watch it from. Damn those miners!

@Cybers. Do you mean gun (sight) or gun (site)? I've searched for both and cannae seem to come up with anything.

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Graham » Mon May 07, 2007 2:41 pm

Peekay wrote:

Yeah. I'm pi$$ed off the 'Shaws aren't getting blown down. That would have been 'the' place to watch it from. Damn those miners!

PK[/quote]

Just been reading Glasgow at a Glance and it has the Pollokshaws Development Area flats listed as part of Glasgow's "architectural wealth" describing them as " a mixture of high and low housing blocks arranged to combine interesting interlocking spaces with variety of view" :roll:
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowgub » Mon May 07, 2007 9:56 pm

Excalibur wrote:
cybers wrote:

It was only when I looked at a map the other night, trying to find a street in Carmunnock onto the Braes that I noticed it. The map showed it as a complete road so it must be an oldish map. I've certainly never noticed it in all the times I've been at the roundabout in Ardencraig Rd but then I've not exactly been looking for it.

The road you are all talking about is still there technically though now its really a lane. It was recently tarmaced by the council. It goes from the top of Birgidale road and comes out in Carmunock at Windlaw (drive?)Its surrounded by hedgerows and one side of it is owned by the farmer and the other side is council owned.
glasgowgub
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Mon May 07, 2007 10:02 pm

Does it not eventually lead to a landfill site G/gub :?:
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Graham » Tue May 15, 2007 3:40 pm

Bilsland Drive

Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Tue May 15, 2007 3:53 pm

glasgowgub wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
cybers wrote:

The road you are all talking about is still there technically though now its really a lane. It was recently tarmaced by the council. It goes from the top of Birgidale road and comes out in Carmunock at Windlaw (drive?)Its surrounded by hedgerows and one side of it is owned by the farmer and the other side is council owned.

I used to walk along there when i was wee (mid 80s) as my gran lived on Ardencraig Rd. I remember a farm building or something at the Castlemilk end but i think it burnt down

memories...
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects