Glasgow's Ghost Streets

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Glasgow's Ghost Streets

Postby e2wufos1 » Tue May 01, 2007 10:53 pm

I've noticed while going along Royston Road on the bus that on the waste ground opposite Stronsay Street and Stroma Street that theres one of the old Concrete lamp posts and always wondered why it's there as the piece of land it's on looks like it used to be an old railway or something.

If I can i'll try and get a photo of it but wondered if anyone can shed some light on this?

Cheers

Jim
e2wufos1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Tue May 01, 2007 11:35 pm

Loads of "ghost streets" around Drumchapel, where the tenements have been demolished.
Thick grass now covers most of the sites, so it's quite weird seeing a grid of streets, with lamp posts, (and the odd post box) but no buildings between, just grass.
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Glasgow's Ghost Streets

Postby The_Clincher » Wed May 02, 2007 4:11 pm

e2wufos1 wrote:I've noticed while going along Royston Road on the bus that on the waste ground opposite Stronsay Street and Stroma Street that theres one of the old Concrete lamp posts and always wondered why it's there as the piece of land it's on looks like it used to be an old railway or something.

If I can i'll try and get a photo of it but wondered if anyone can shed some light on this?

Cheers

Jim

I think i know where you mean....just before Siemens Street.

I think this can also be seen at Dumbarton Road heading west from the bottom of Dyke Road along toward Yoker Ferry Road...i'm certain there must have been houses there at some point! :?:
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Wed May 02, 2007 6:49 pm

The_Clincher wrote:I think this can also be seen at Dumbarton Road heading west from the bottom of Dyke Road along toward Yoker Ferry Road...i'm certain there must have been houses there at some point! :?:

There was a Cleansing Dept yard at the corner of Dumbarton Road opposite Dyke Road - was demolished late 1980s and I'm sure I've read something about tenements along the stretch of waste ground that you've mentioned Clincher, I think that subsidence may be the reason the ground hasn't been built on since.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Verbal Kint » Thu May 03, 2007 12:21 am

glasgowken wrote:Loads of "ghost streets" around Drumchapel, where the tenements have been demolished.
Thick grass now covers most of the sites, so it's quite weird seeing a grid of streets, with lamp posts, (and the odd post box) but no buildings between, just grass.

I know the ones you refer to Ken I have passed them on the number 9 bus before.

Wish ihad taken some pics now :(
Verbal Kint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby e2wufos1 » Thu May 03, 2007 6:05 am

The_Clincher wrote:
e2wufos1 wrote:I've noticed while going along Royston Road on the bus that on the waste ground opposite Stronsay Street and Stroma Street that theres one of the old Concrete lamp posts and always wondered why it's there as the piece of land it's on looks like it used to be an old railway or something.

Cheers

Jim

I think i know where you mean....just before Siemens Street.

I think this can also be seen at Dumbarton Road heading west from the bottom of Dyke Road along toward Yoker Ferry Road...i'm certain there must have been houses there at some point! :?:

The place i'm talking about is in the East end mate theres a motor auction place called Manheim or something similar on a hill above it.
e2wufos1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The_Clincher » Thu May 03, 2007 6:01 pm

Yes, E2wofus....the place you mean in the east end is next to Siemens Street....i passed it the other day......it does look kinda spooky

The Area you mean i think is where the text says "Royston Road".....am i right?
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby e2wufos1 » Thu May 03, 2007 6:37 pm

The_Clincher wrote:Yes, E2wofus....the place you mean in the east end is next to Siemens Street....i passed it the other day......it does look kinda spooky

Yes thats correct and the lamppost i'm talking about is roughly bottom middle of your photo.
e2wufos1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Thu May 03, 2007 6:47 pm

There is a whole series of wee streets that still have ther lamp posts and hedges where the prefabs used to be at the corner of Prospecthill road and Aitkinhead road.
I was down there today taking a pic for the past present thread and thought "I should take a few pics of this area but there is no thread to post them in". Silly me. I will go back down if I get time.
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Thu May 03, 2007 7:11 pm

The_Clincher wrote:Yes, E2wofus....the place you mean in the east end is next to Siemens Street....i passed it the other day......it does look kinda spooky

AKA The Gemmy. 8)

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Thu May 03, 2007 8:04 pm

I was particularly chuffed to find this one, the remains of Houston Street behind Harry Ramsden's in Tradeston.

When you're taking the East Kilbride/Tradeston exit from the M 8 east bound, you get a great view of it, as a lorry rams you up the arse!

Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby vinny » Thu May 03, 2007 8:16 pm

didn't realise docks were filled in right in front of the co-op building.
vinny
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Thu May 03, 2007 8:41 pm

I remember Houston St well, it ran through Weir St, Pollok St and Watt St ending at Shields Rd. Would that be Weir St on the left of the second pic ?
And do you know what the cul-de-sac was called Shiehallion ? Houston Place, maybe. Nice post Schiehallion, you brought some memories back there ::): Especially the defiant single close standing there 8O I remember the demo guy`s aking them to move before they pulled the building down round about them. Sorry for going on there, but, it cheered me up ::):
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Fri May 04, 2007 12:49 am

scaryman2u wrote:I remember Houston St well, it ran through Weir St, Pollok St and Watt St ending at Shields Rd. Would that be Weir St on the left of the second pic ?

And do you know what the cul-de-sac was called Shiehallion ? Houston Place, maybe. Nice post Schiehallion, you brought some memories back there ::): Especially the defiant single close standing there 8O I remember the demo guy`s aking them to move before they pulled the building down round about them. Sorry for going on there, but, it cheered me up ::):

I'm sure it was Weir St. If you look at the old maps it was Cathcart St but I'm sure Cathcart St changed it's name to Weir St at a later date.

Aye the cul-de-sac is Houston Place.

The reason I was so interested in this photo was I was trying to locate Ardgowan Place, a slum lane with little light where my mother's family grew up in squalid conditions. The slums were ticketed meaning a plate was put up specifying the maximum number of people allowed to live in the house.

Ardgowan Place ran north-south from across from the cul-de-sac, Houston Place. I've marked the site of it here in yellow

Here's a link to a picture from Virtual Mitchell showing in more detail what life was like on that wee yellow line. These kids are actually the first three born of of my mother's 9 siblings outside number 30 showing the slum conditions they lived in trapped between tenements like rats. That wee lassie is now an extremely old woman in a south side residential home with extreme Alzheimers.

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitchell/image.php?i=10774&r=1&t=4&x=1
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri May 04, 2007 7:16 am

I'm not saying look on the bright side of life but they have shoes on. look clean and live in a house like many of their contemporaries. Maybe we should be worrying about present day kids being brought up in unhappy homes.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects