Hidden Cumbernauld.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Hidden Cumbernauld.

Postby Icecube » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:47 am

I suspect there is a more than a bit of 'slash' taking by the above new members PPM.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby jinty » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:52 am

Please can somebody help me before im declared officially insane! Apparently there is an actual Castle Cary which the small place of Castlecary is named after, cant find any information on it at all, and whenever i mention it, no one seems to have heard of it??
jinty
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Icecube » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:56 pm

It sure does Jinty, its a private dwelling restored by a previous owner, one (the late) Hugo B. Miller who was also a local historian of note.

http://www.falkirklocalhistorysociety.co.uk/home/index.php?id=68

The house is situated off the Walton Road just at the railway bridge.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mjw » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:47 am

There's a bit of subsidence affecting the stream that feeds the Glencryan reservoir, it's about 200 yards upstream and the water disappears into the hole and presumably the old mine workings.

mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Icecube » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:13 pm

Good yin! I think a bit of ground near there has been fenced off for a while? Though the burn was flowing normally. This means the wee reservoir isn't getting fed by the burn? and this also means the Glencryan doesn't supply the Red Burn then?
Interesting, a wee wander on the cards. PPM? ye there?
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby purplepantman » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:36 pm

Icecube wrote:Good yin! I think a bit of ground near there has been fenced off for a while? Though the burn was flowing normally. This means the wee reservoir isn't getting fed by the burn? and this also means the Glencryan doesn't supply the Red Burn then?
Interesting, a wee wander on the cards. PPM? ye there?

I'll dig out my trunks!
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mjw » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:44 pm

Couple of old images from the old A80/A73 junction at the Spur in the village, first from a postcard that was put up for sale on ebay and the other was printed in the Cumbie News a few months ago. Seems a terrible waste to put the dual carriageway on top of this junction within spitting distance of the Spur, the more I see of the old Cumbernauld the more I realise that the CDC screwed up quite a lot of things.

mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Icecube » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:59 pm

The polis directing traffic up the Wilderness Brae [to left] with Glasgow Road [to right] behind him?

Yes MJW the CDC arhitects and town planners must have been tripping on something when they designed the new town. They nearly ruined an historic village with hundreds of years of history.
North Motherwellshire Council aint much better.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mjw » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:08 am

Learnt a couple of things this week I didn't know before about Cumbernauld, firstly that it was meant to be a lot bigger 8000 acres compared to the eventual just over half. The 8000 acres was to cover both Dunbartonshire and Lanarkshire county council land, but Lanarkshire tried to block any of their land being used and rather than fight it the government pressed ahead with it using only Dunbartonshire land, which was of poorer quality eg mines, peat bogs etc, also meaning the train station would be nowhere near the town centre. The other point was that they considered building the town in the valley around the train station, with the town centre in Carbrain, everybody knew about the limitations of the hilltop site and yet it still won out, incredible eh?
mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Beavis64 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:39 am

Has anyone ever been to the Lenziemill Archive Centre to look at old photos, plans, etc of Cumbernauld before it was developed?
I grew up in Greenfaulds in 1973 and would be interested to see how all the different areas of the town looked before the houses and roads were built.
Beavis64
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby purplepantman » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:29 pm

mjw wrote:Couple of old images from the old A80/A73 junction at the Spur in the village, first from a postcard that was put up for sale on ebay and the other was printed in the Cumbie News a few months ago. Seems a terrible waste to put the dual carriageway on top of this junction within spitting distance of the Spur, the more I see of the old Cumbernauld the more I realise that the CDC screwed up quite a lot of things.

Icecube wrote:Yes MJW the CDC arhitects and town planners must have been tripping on something when they designed the new town. They nearly ruined an historic village with hundreds of years of history.
North Motherwellshire Council aint much better.

A couple of Past/Present pictures would confirm all of the above. What a shame!

Beavis64 wrote:Has anyone ever been to the Lenziemill Archive Centre to look at old photos, plans, etc of Cumbernauld before it was developed?
I grew up in Greenfaulds in 1973 and would be interested to see how all the different areas of the town looked before the houses and roads were built.

Yes. They're a very nice and helpful bunch.
I have more than a little interest in how it all looked before the New Town was built and they have
quite a good collection of pictures of all the old farms n' stuff.

Angus Mor wrote:There are other limekiln's down Castlecary Glen.

Does anyone have any pictures of these? Are they worth a visit?
According to various maps, there does seem to be significant remains but I think they might be quite
tricky to reach(?). I'm not sure how much will be left after the A80 upgrading work.
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mjw » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:29 pm

Anyone know what this is? is it a lint pond? must've walked past this hundreds of times and never noticed it, it's near the mine entrance, the walls are made of bricks.

mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Icecube » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:40 pm

Can you pinpoint it? I'll have a gander up there.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mjw » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:56 pm

Icecube, It's about 30 yards in from the right side ofthe path just before the bridge over the stream from Glencryan reservoir as if you were walking from Abronhill/Cumbie High, ie fifty yards from the mine entrance. Just across from this is a flood coming out of subsided hillside, wonder if this is where the stream is diverted to after going underground? this was dry last sunday.Anyway back to the round structure, there seems to be a round drain in it leading to a pipe that empties into the stream.

mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Icecube » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:09 pm

Brilliant MJ. That 'll be the Glencryan leaching out from its underground travels, well done! I'll up there shortly.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects