Hidden Cumbernauld.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Hidden Cumbernauld.

Postby Vinegar Tom » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:30 pm

Mori - Thanks, I really enjoyed that. 26 minutes well spent - I am almost a convert.

Did you notice the name of the band at the church hop?
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:02 am

Vinegar Tom wrote:

Did you notice the name of the band at the church hop?

The name SUEDE on the drum kit. 8) did they get fame ?
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby marmionman » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:18 pm

Does anybody remember the name of the old computer store that was on the same level as goldbergs and wimpy, but at the top of the escalaltors. Right beside the exit doors out onto the roof car park where sax nightclub was.
Compu-byte or something. I spent alot of my childhood in there looking at the spectrum collection.

A couple of other cumby memories
Top end of marmion place in greenfaulds was a swing park, forest behind it, which had a trail through it which took you out at the back end of melrose primary.
Everybody was a bit scared of the forest due to rumours of a "bad man" - nobody knew why he was bad.

Also near here was what I remember being some kind of Orchard at the top end of greenfaulds. Near a cracking ropeswing.
Did anybody else spend hours drooling over those star wars badges in john menzies that had flashing light eyes?
marmionman
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby purplepantman » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:44 pm

marmionman wrote:Everybody was a bit scared of the forest due to rumours of a "bad man" - nobody knew why he was bad.

The Greenfaulds Man (or The Bad Man)
Legend has it that a man of unkempt appearance and poor manners
frequents the woods of Greenfaulds. He hides behind trees and jumps out
scaring small children and old ladies. His motivation for such behaviour is
unknown but it is said he is closely related to the “Old Grey Lady of Maryhill”.
The Myths and Legends of Old Cumbernauld by Joseph Kerr (1886)
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Beavis64 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:03 pm

marmionman wrote:Does anybody remember the name of the old computer store that was on the same level as goldbergs and wimpy, but at the top of the escalaltors. Right beside the exit doors out onto the roof car park where sax nightclub was.
Compu-byte or something. I spent alot of my childhood in there looking at the spectrum collection.

A couple of other cumby memories
Top end of marmion place in greenfaulds was a swing park, forest behind it, which had a trail through it which took you out at the back end of melrose primary.
Everybody was a bit scared of the forest due to rumours of a "bad man" - nobody knew why he was bad.

Also near here was what I remember being some kind of Orchard at the top end of greenfaulds. Near a cracking ropeswing.
Did anybody else spend hours drooling over those star wars badges in john menzies that had flashing light eyes?

Yep I think you're right it was compu-byte or computer byte, i bought many vic 20 and c64 games in there.
I remember the bad man rumour, but was that not Beany from Marmion... ;-)
The orchard was in the ivanhoe woods and that rope swing was the best i ever swung on i reckon.
Do you remember the old play park opposite melrose primary school football pitch? I used to love sitting in the big metal car, then throwing sticks up at the conker trees round the west side of the school...memories.
Beavis64
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby marmionman » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:42 pm

The swingpark beside the football pitches rings a bell but only vaugely...I do remember watching a pupils Vs teachers match there one day when they let us all out of class early. I too spent alot of time throwing sticks at cheggy trees around Greenfaulds.
I'm going to back some some time for a wander round about I think.
I also remember there being an amazing adventrue playground on the right hand side of the hill going from the bottom of marmion place down to the shop and "playschool" as it was at the time. I think these buildings are probably demolished by now, and the Adventrue playground will all be houses now. Might google earth it and see.
I used to walk all the way from Greenfaulds up to the town centre with my mother most days, for the messages.

Main reason for this though was the car kept gettign nicked from the tryst car park.

If I recall correctly the big shop that used to be outside just to the left of the town clock face "gregorys girl" also had a brilliant games section. Might have been woolworths or woolco.

We moved away when I was 8, so all my memories are from before then. Although we were still up the town centre all th time even when we moved away. Particulalry to go to the library, where we would race my Dad up the ramps while he took the lift. I also attended a kids party held in the round community centre somebody posted a picture of earlier.
I was gutted when they demolished the old part of the town centre, I wish they had tried to do somehing with it instead.
marmionman
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby r055 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:43 pm

The game shop was mega-byte :wink:

Hi all,
Just joined and have really enjoyed skipping through this monster thread. Lived in the 'nauld all my days and only just recently started exploring it again...

I've started a new project as a new years resolution to go back to all the places I remember growing up in and generally getting up to no good and start using my camera to take captures of things that are not bloody horses, dogs or cars!
My thoughts were to take the photo(s), tell a story about the photos and possibly investigate the history of such structures, places and areas.

I've only just started, so would appreciate any tips, suggestions etc...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ross_mille ... 704109561/

Might be picking your brains in the very near future...

Cheers
Ross
r055
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby marmionman » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:32 am

Mega-byte!
Well done sir.
marmionman
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby marmionman » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:36 am

anybody ever swim in the hidden quarry in Dullatur? Drive past the location of the old dullatur clubhouse, stragiht through crossroads past tennis courts, down round corner then a 2 minute walk thorugh the forest.
I only discovered this place in my teens. An amazing place. Legend was that it was possible for the water to go below freezing without actually freezing. Felt like it anwyay.
marmionman
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby marmionman » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:01 pm

good photos of the bmx track btw.
marmionman
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby DavidMcD316 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:03 am

great thread this.

so many memories.

cumbernauld resident from 1982-2007.

can anyone remember there used to be chickens in the barried off area in front of the st enoch clock ? or did i imagine it ?

scots corner
beatties
megabyte
tandy
john menzies
presto
whatever one wants

and of course, the ultimate shop...Woolco!!
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby r055 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:06 am

marmionman wrote:good photos of the bmx track btw.

Thanks mate.

Does anyone here have any images or photos of the broom road BMX track when it was first opened?
r055
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby DavidMcD316 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:42 am

r055 wrote:
marmionman wrote:good photos of the bmx track btw.

Thanks mate.

Does anyone here have any images or photos of the broom road BMX track when it was first opened?

never knew about the broomroad one.

only knew about the one between Condorrat and Westfield.
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Beavis64 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:51 pm

I remember the 1st bmx track that was opposite opposite where Broadwood Stadium is now, that was the best one with the massive jumps. 8) but then it moved to st maurice's and just wasn't the same.. :?
Beavis64
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Nizzy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:27 am

DavidMcD316 wrote:great thread this.
can anyone remember there used to be chickens in the barried off area in front of the st enoch clock ? or did i imagine it ?

I think chicks were housed there every Easter.

I've recently moved back to Cumbernauld and was saddened to read of the death of Brian Miller, the town artist. A few years ago I looked his number up in the phonebook, called him to say I was interested in finding out more about the new town's history and his part in it and suggested going for a coffee to talk about it.

Instead, he and his wife - she was a town guide for a while when Cumbernauld's status as 'the town for tomorrow' required them - invited me into their home and I spent a fascinating few hours there going through his amazing pictures. I believe there was some sort of exhibition/reading (he wrote plays, too) in the theatre on Saturday (27 January), but I missed it.
Nizzy
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects