Hidden Cumbernauld.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Hidden Cumbernauld.

Postby Alycidon » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:39 am

The University of Sheffield has just put online four thousand photos of Britain in the 60s and 70s. They were the collection of JR James, Chief Planner at the Ministry of Housing and Local Government in the 1960s, later Proferssor of Town and Regional Planning at Sheffield. There are a lot of maps and plans, but plenty of photos too. They cover both new town centres and the dereliction they replaced. The Scottish set is mainly Cumbernauld, but there are some vintage Glasgow shots in there as well
Link to home page
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jrjamesarchive/sets/
Scottish Set
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jrjamesarchive/sets/72157634491896533/
The story behind the slides, forgotten in a drawer for thirty years and digitised by a couple of gallant graduates, is here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29082338
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby paulmcelroy1969 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:13 pm

Long time since I have looked at this forum.

I was sent a link to a video on youtube of what appears to be footage of someone exploring the old fireclay mines

Excellent stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQVzHFZIP1Y
paulmcelroy1969
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Beavis64 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:52 pm

There's an abandoned clay mine exactly like that in Allandale near Castlecary - Cumbernauld.
I've been down so far but need there's some flodding and need a better torch before I go down again...
Beavis64
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Icecube » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:24 pm

Pretty sure thats the Glencryan mine. Great stuff.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mcmillan » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:40 am

Does anyone know who was the architect of abronhill high school (Gregory's Girl)? ... Thanks
mcmillan
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby DavidMcD316 » Tue May 12, 2015 1:01 pm

the high rise flats in Alanfauld Road are correctly being demolished.

All the high rises will be gone within a few years.
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby appleofglasgow » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:31 pm

So guys, who has saw the horrid (or lovely depending on what side of the wall you are from) Royal Blue colour the centre is being painted?

It absolutely destroys the 60s character of the beige and brown.

As a firm supporter of Phase 1s retention and preservation/renovation, I am devastated.
appleofglasgow
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby commandlinegamer » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:04 pm

I'm not sure what to make of the exterior painting of the town centre at the moment.

The navy blue looks okay I suppose, but the lighter blue they've used for highlights (particularly the windows) doesn't really match.

Hard to make a judgment though, as only a fraction has yet been painted.
commandlinegamer
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby purplepantman » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:26 am

I think blue is a wonderful choice of colour. After all, most of all the really great things in the world are blue. Like the sky, and the deep blue sea, and the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, made famous by the Laurel and Hardy song of the same name.

Leonard Cohen sang of the famous blue raincoat;

"It's four in the morning, the end of December
I'm writing you now just to see if you're better
The 'Nauld is cold, but I like where I'm living
There's music on South Carbrain all through the evening"

The biggest animal in the world is the blue whale.
One of my favourite nineties bands is Deacon Blue.
Yes blue is a nice soothing colour and will make a pleasant change from seagull shit.
Give the blue a chance. You might grow to like it.
Don't be blue about the blue.
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Julz » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:13 am

So long since I've been on here (the joys of ill health!)

Anyway, just in case anyone was interested in a mooch around the highest of the high flats I thought I'd post this -

"On Saturday 12th September, the top floor of Cumbernauld's tallest building will be open for public access, with one last opportunity to get a unique view of our town before the block is demolished. Stuart House, in Burns Road, will be open as part of this year's Doors Open Days programme of events, and Sanctuary Cumbernauld will also be hosting an exhibition of pictures and showing plans for their continued housing developments around Cumbernauld. Stuart House will be open for public access from 10:30am until 4pm and there is no need to book in advance."

I lived on the 5th floor as a kid and the view was pretty good so from 19 it'll be cracking. They were great flats inside space wise, but freezing cold.
Julz
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby purplepantman » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:55 pm

Icecube wrote:Pretty sure thats the Glencryan mine. Great stuff.

It's definitely the Glencryan Mine.
There's a cracking set of pictures by a guy called Dave Walsh on flickr and they tie in with some of the footage in the video.
The comments on some of the pictures are a mine of information too.
(Did you see what I did there? :D )

https://www.flickr.com/photos/62170329@ ... 801661387/
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby jock78 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:48 pm

Hi Cyclo 2000,
never thought I would have to defend planners but here goes 'Down goes stumpy i' the ink' as the great man wrote.
Planning a new town is difficult because all the good sites are occupied and only the marginal land is available,.
Scotland was the home of the father of town planning, Patrick Geddes who saw towns based on a 'Valley Section' and functioned by the interaction of Work, Folk and Place, if you like, where you live, where you work and the environment around you. I see this as transport, communications economic activity and environmental impact.

I worked at Livingston in the mid 60s, planning main drainage until the traffic guys left and I was re-treaded as a highway engineer. Put together the basis for a computer model of the town and thought planning was all about that.

Subsequently studied for a planning diploma at Strathclyde Uni where a lecturer who's name I unfortunately do not recall, pointed out that the problem in planning a newtown was that they were conceived as in two dimensions, but existing towns had multiple dimensions, or interactions. Putting this simply, you do not have your old neighbours, the local pub or the wee corner shop.

I was knocked back initially on my thesis as it was 'too transport orientated' so I re-submitted a load of 'tat' that was
considered OK!

Please do not knock the planners they get a lot of stick doing a difficult job.

Incidentally cyclo 2000.

I processed all the Barclays cycle stations in Westminster while pointing out to all that would listen that promoting cycling in these congested streets would lead to many fatalities given the action of HGVs at gyratories- Was I wrong?

John Minelly C eng, MICE, Dip TP, MRTPI (ret)
jock78
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:24 pm

I tend to see Town Planners as being a bit like Social Workers - whatever they do, however they do it, it is usually deemed utterly wrong. Which is not to say there weren't screw-ups, but here we are with a lot of hindsight, and the Town Planners are very often the scapegoats, it seems.

Anyhow, it's nice to see Patrick Geddes being namedropped :D

Lucky Poet - CSE Woodwork, 50m Swimming Cert.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby RDR » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:21 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:I tend to see Town Planners as being a bit like Social Workers - whatever they do, however they do it, it is usually deemed utterly wrong. Which is not to say there weren't screw-ups, but here we are with a lot of hindsight, and the Town Planners are very often the scapegoats, it seems.

Anyhow, it's nice to see Patrick Geddes being namedropped :D

Lucky Poet - CSE Woodwork, 50m Swimming Cert.

I don't blame town planners so much as the politicians who are usually at the back of them.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplepantman » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:32 pm

purplepantman wrote:"There's a limit to what planners can do. All they can do is provide the framework.
It's the people who make the town - and make it live".
Magnus Magnusson
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects