Hidden Cumbernauld.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby zolita1908 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:30 am

Unfortunately not, but Cumbernauld College have an exhibition on just now for the 50th Anniversary, so I'll have a look for you there on Tuesday.
Barefoot and No Longer Pregnant

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zolita1908/
zolita1908
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:46 am

Beavis64 wrote:Hey I grew up in Greenfaulds from 75 - 95, don't suppose you have any pics of the area when it was being buitt, etc , my mum has some in her loft but it would take hours to find them.

Please dig around the loft (you never know what else you might find).

Now back onto old Cumbernauld stuff purlease, it is a projects thread after all
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Hidden Cumbernauld.

Postby Seamey » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:33 pm

I used to slide on that slope on the right hand side.

Evacuee from Drumchapel, then Ravenswood 1970-78
Seamey
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Beavis64 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:54 pm

Do you remember you used to be able to hire wee bikes in front of the old Presto, I had great fun racing my brother on the slippy tiles when they were wet.
Beavis64
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:15 pm

Beavis64 wrote:Do you remember you used to be able to hire wee bikes in front of the old Presto, I had great fun racing my brother on the slippy tiles when they were wet.

I remember that, thought I was havering. Was the roof marked out like roads so you could ride along them. No pictures of this I'm afraid :cry:
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Seamey » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:38 am

It operated as a place for hiring bikes for a few years in the early 70s and then the markings were there to cycle on in the evenings and when it closed down.

Also went to Uncle Bob's cinema show in the town hall every saturday morning. All these slopes and carparks in the town centre made great a great play area, we played "town centre chase game", which was a big game of tig, but with the whole of the town centre as playing area.

Another bit of Cumbernauld I couldn't work out what it was for was down by Our Lady's High, on Dowanfield Road, a water drain with waterfall feature into a huge storm drain?
Seamey
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Beavis64 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:36 pm

I went to our lady's high school from 85-89 and used to play in the reservoir sewer thing.
There was a large pipe at the top and you could walk through all the way to ravenswood, well that was the rumour anyway.
Beavis64
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re:

Postby Beavis64 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:39 pm

zolita1908 wrote:Unfortunately not, but Cumbernauld College have an exhibition on just now for the 50th Anniversary, so I'll have a look for you there on Tuesday.

I went to the exhibition today and was in and out in 5 mins.
For a town with 50 years of history that was a joke! There were about 20 framed pictures hanging up on walls with no historical books or papers included. Surely they could have taken more than the 30 mins that they must have used, to come up with a decent exhibition for the 60,000 or so folk that now live in cumbernauld.
Beavis64
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re: Re:

Postby My Kitten » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:44 pm

Beavis64 wrote:
zolita1908 wrote:Unfortunately not, but Cumbernauld College have an exhibition on just now for the 50th Anniversary, so I'll have a look for you there on Tuesday.

I went to the exhibition today and was in and out in 5 mins.
For a town with 50 years of history that was a joke! There were about 20 framed pictures hanging up on walls with no historical books or papers included. Surely they could have taken more than the 30 mins that they must have used, to come up with a decent exhibition for the 60,000 or so folk that now live in cumbernauld.

I thought the 50 years website was a load of crap too. Not made it to the exhibition yet, but i might not bother now. I think they are ashamed of the town. Apart from the town centre, which was just designed wrongly in bits IMHO the town in itself is pretty good (well was when i was growing up there).

Surely some publications could have been released to mark the 50 years, what a waste. Everything is geared towards the Antonine Centre, which IMHO again gives nothing to the town. The bit of the town centre that was there originally was better!
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mr. B » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:12 pm

I heard that a book about the towns history is being published later this year, is this true? If so when is it released, i'd quite like to get it.
Mr. B
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Long Time No Post So...

Postby Cyclo2000 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:56 am

There are three Gillespie, Coia and Kidd buildings extant in the town.
Our Ladies High School in Seafar is currently under refurbishment so now might be your last chance to see the Pill Box inspired entrance, complete with gun slits! It's a huge slab laid flat and jutting out over playing fields, overlooking the A80 and appearing more like the headquarters of some secretive Geneva based Drugs Manufacturer than a Scottish local authority school. Right across the road is that strange sewerage outfall feature mentioned earlier in these forums. In the woods behind this you'll find a number of Art Installations in the manner of Tim Stead of Café Gandolfi fame. Don't know if they're anything to do with him- seem to recall it was a schools project but still – they’re there and worth a look..
Sacred Heart Church in Kildrum is an unusually shaped Chapel which sits on a slope and features a confusion of stairs. Its modernist interior is remarkable and well preserved and it's uber-modernist art glass windows are worthy of a visit in themselves. Sadly, the central courtyard has now been roofed over but the wee shop’s still there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Sacred_Heart_RC_church_cumbernauld.jpg
Cumbernauld College is a bastardised version of itself nowadays but still features at least one brutalist elevation worthy of note. It looks like the Eagle spacecraft from Gerry Anderson’s Space1999.

Worth noting too that not far away is Sir Basil Spence's Kilsyth Academy - surely one of only a few Spence buildings left around Glasgow.

There’s a film here
http://www.bestlaidschemes.com/moviezone/new-towns
about New Towns.
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mr. B » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:32 pm

There's also the Gillespie Kidd and Coia Church in Kilsyth, St. Patricks. It's one of only Four Gillespie, Kidd and Coia Churches with all its original Features still intact and has been renovated a few years ago. it has large strange shaped roof.

Here's the Interior.

Mr. B
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby My Kitten » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:42 pm

nice photo, they certainly liked their arches!

I'd love to do a shoot of all the Gillespie, Kidd and Coia buildings that are still about. Anyone up for it? I'll start a thread as I have video etc of Sacred Heart.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:53 pm

My Kitten wrote:nice photo, they certainly liked their arches!

I'd love to do a shoot of all the Gillespie, Kidd and Coia buildings that are still about. Anyone up for it? I'll start a thread as I have video etc of Sacred Heart.

Could I nominate tedmaul?
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jamesie1970 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:48 pm

GK&C also did Braehead Road...
Theres an exhibition of there 50s and 60s work sometime in November, I think at the Art School, I've got the details somewhere...

Nope, the 50th anniv photo exhibition wasnae much cop.
Lets dae wur ain!

Heres where you hired bikes and Seameys slide

Here its getting built

and here it is in the model

And here, cos My Kitten asked ages ago, is the Golden Eagle
outside

and inside
Harness your hopes to the folks with the liquor with the ropes.
Jamesie1970
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects