Hidden Cumbernauld.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Hidden Cumbernauld.

Postby Beavis64 » Wed May 30, 2012 3:56 pm

This is a good website for an overlay of past and present maps.

http://geo.nls.uk/search/mosaic/

The slider at the top middle guides you between the old and new maps.
Beavis64
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Anarion » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:33 am

What an excellent find :D. Lived in Cumbernauld from mid-70s till 2006...The strongest memory I have of living in Abronhill was the amount of military aircraft that used to fly past (especially at low altitude and high speed) before disappearing over the hills...ah the scary days of the Cold War !
Anarion
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby daisy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:06 pm

I'm from cumbernaud so if any old residents of the area want photo's taken of their old street or house etc I can do it for you .
I have only lived here for 26 years so I'm still a newbie :) .
Does anyone remember the tramolines in Kildrum I can't for the life of me remember where exactly they were
Daisy x
daisy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby sandradee » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:31 am

The trampolines were just across from the Red Comyn pub.
sandradee
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby mjw » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:36 pm

As sandradee says the trampolines were in a corner of the current playground across from the pub, wasn't there also a putting green in the same playground. Makes me remember the also long gone sporting areas such as the tennis courts at Abronhill High, at the Oak rd playground and disused ones at Ravenswood. And the putting green in the Village and the pitch and putt course in the park, then there was the trim park at Ravenswood, that didn't last long. I think I used them all as a young unemployed in the mid 80s.
mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:53 am

Gregory's Girl school Abronhill High 'to close' by 2013

Abronhill High to merge with Cumbernauld High
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby drc » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:45 pm

Anyone got pictures or any info about the Stakis hotel that used to sit behind seafar house.Can't find anything!
drc
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby mjw » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:41 am

Don't know if it was an actual hotel or just a restaurant, but I can remember as a teenager in late 86 or early 87 dragging a couple of friends to Blaxx & Brollies I think it was called, this place had been turned into a two roomed bar, we were the only ones in the place unfortunately. It got burned down a few years later I think because I can remember climbing into it and exploring it and that must've been the early 90s. It was built on the site of hole farm.
mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby drc » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:13 am

Cheers for that.Been driving me up the wall being unable to find any info about it.I must have walked past Seafar House a million times in the mid nineties,and no idea of it's exsistance until i read about it here.Drove down there,but it was mid-summer and too overgrown to get a bearing on where it sat in relation to the roads and pavements still there.Anyway,just want to ask everyone to keep this thread going.I have gone from ashamed of where I grew up to obsessed with Cumbernaulds story thanks to this discussion.
drc
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby BTJustice » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:32 pm

My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby r055 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:37 pm

drc wrote:Anyway,just want to ask everyone to keep this thread going.I have gone from ashamed of where I grew up to obsessed with Cumbernaulds story thanks to this discussion.

Similar thoughts at this end!
r055
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby drc » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:05 am

Just wondering what other photographic gems members have in there possesion.I've a wish list of things i'd love to see again as long as your arm!Like,the chippy at the Twa Corbies pub,the big psychadelic train mural that was opposite the entrance to What Everyone Wants,the original "temporary" shopping centre,the bricked up underpass,(mentioned in an earlier post), while it was still in use,the frontage and car parks of the old Woolco/Gateway/Asda.I could go on all night!Also,seen the other day that the Toonie is up for sale for £3.5 million,so I'd get the cameras out and start snapping before the next administration flattens it.Still can't believe they knocked down the south approach to build the God awful Antonine Box.If it goes,I think the majority would miss it despite all it's faults.I certainly would.
drc
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby robertpool » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:55 am

I lived in Abronhill from 1981 - 1993 and my 3 daughters went to Whitelees and Abronhill High. Here's some photos from one of the Air Shows around 1988

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertpool ... 388201599/
Last edited by robertpool on Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:01 am

drc wrote:Anyone got pictures or any info about the Stakis hotel that used to sit behind seafar house.Can't find anything!

I never knew there was a Stakis Hotel in Cumbernauld. Hope someone has some info

Other Stakis Stuff: http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertpool ... 372500599/
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby southsider52 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:36 pm

Guys, this wasn't a hotel, it was a Stakis steakhouse - part of the "Old World Inn" chain. The lounge bar had huge picture windows and there was a terrific view across the valley below. I had many a 1970's meal there, the standard 3 course meal being, prawn cocktail, steak and chips and black forest gateau.
southsider52
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects