Hidden Cumbernauld.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Hidden Cumbernauld.

Postby mjw » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:17 pm

The cinema building is still there, in the mid-late 80s it was turned into Moll Flanders which was a pub/restaurant though for some reason I never visited it, anyway it's now a religious coffee shop thing. I've got good memories of the old cinema, watching Grease twice once with the family and another with my pals, seeing Spiderman, and going with my mum to see Close Encounters of the Third Kind, only one screen but the film used to change regularly. In the flashback bit of the Cumbie News it was mentioned (probably 40? years ago) that they were building a cinema in an underground parking lot so it wasn't even originally there, they created it out of a car park 8O

Ah the Vineyard, the smell of the place was musky and mysterious, wine and cigars and sweeties all combining to create a high.

I can't remember the sports shop in the market hall but I do remember the record shop, rising sun records wasn't it? it was called something else beforehand, anyone remember the toy shop there? I bought the solution to the Rubiks cube there, didn't help at all.

There was a Tempelton and a Galbraiths, one was turned into a Presto.

Think someone mentioned the temporary shopping centre in a previous post, here's a pic of it among the remnants of the old Muirfield hamlet.

mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Beavis64 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:54 pm

That's a great pic mjw, what year was that taken do you know?
The two old houses near the bottom must be where the kfc and beefeater are situated now i reckon.

I remember me and my brother cycling down the ramps from the library on level 3 i think, skidding round every corner on the slippery tiles all the way down to the bus stop, great fun..

The town hall under 18 discos were good in the late 80's where you could meet folk from other areas of cumbernauld, where normally it would be unsafe to venture!
Beavis64
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby kildrumboy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:41 pm

thats a cracking picture i have never seen this view before, can you or anyone elaborate on the views, I cant get my head around where this is exactly in relation to what i grew up with and whats there now. Is this where the British Legion / Car Wash units are now just up from Asda, if that is correct then I never appreciated that there was a old shopping centre there, I can remember a long time ago a chip shop being around there, wasnt there a family that also lived there and had so many kids they knocked Two houses together to accommodate them , (that might not be right just local gossip). More Questions than answers sorry but all part of the history / fun.
kildrumboy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Chris » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:13 pm

Hopefully this will make it a bit clearer KB

http://binged.it/St60gu

Chris
Chris
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby drc » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:49 pm

Cheer for the pic of the temporary shopping centre.Incredible to see how many original buildings where removed from that area.Another memory occured to me today,at the other end of the path to the underpass in the picture,(the Carbrain end near the top of Glenhove Road),there stood a big concrete monolith with a pattern cast on the hidden side facing the bushes,and a plain,flat side facing up to the underpass.Anyone know what that was all about?Grew up in Glenhove Road in the 80's and used to play up there in the fields where Asda is now.Think it's time someone started a Hidden Cumbernauld forum!
drc
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby AP72 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:08 am

I wonder what state the old tunnel under central way is in? Suspect the foundations for phase 4 will have destroyed the north end but at least 3/4 of it must be intact. They replaced the air vents recently in the central reservation and the south end is still bricked up.. Anyone remember the tiny rs mcoll now the chippy opposite moriartys?
AP72
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby DavidMcD316 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:45 am

glad this threads been brought back to life the last week or so!!

an old tunnel under central way ? any more info on this im unaware of this.
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby AP72 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:02 pm

Linked St Mungos Road to Tryst Road and ran under Central Way... If you go down to the car park under Phase1 along from the old cinema, walk to the end almost directly under where the clock is now you'll still see the old south tunnel entrance bricked up. Think it has a door as it was used for storage after being closed. No idea what it is used for now...
AP72
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby marmionman » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:16 pm

Was it pedestrian tunnel (ie underpass) or vehicles as well?
dont remember it but might just need memory jogged.
marmionman
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby DavidMcD316 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:28 pm

AP72 wrote:Linked St Mungos Road to Tryst Road and ran under Central Way... If you go down to the car park under Phase1 along from the old cinema, walk to the end almost directly under where the clock is now you'll still see the old south tunnel entrance bricked up. Think it has a door as it was used for storage after being closed. No idea what it is used for now...

thanks for that. ill have a wee look next time im over there.
Didnt move to Cumbernauld til 1982, and of course by that time Phase 4 was already there.
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby AP72 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:38 pm

Some great images to be found here:
http://entropicmodern.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... l-and.html
Great image showing golden eagle hotel and rbs bank with nothing round it.. Templetons supermarket, market hall etc hadn't been built yet... Sure there is one here as well showing a rainy night outside rbs bank in the days before it was covered..
AP72
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby DavidMcD316 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:10 am

AP72 wrote:Some great images to be found here:
http://entropicmodern.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... l-and.html
Great image showing golden eagle hotel and rbs bank with nothing round it.. Templetons supermarket, market hall etc hadn't been built yet... Sure there is one here as well showing a rainy night outside rbs bank in the days before it was covered..

fantastic set of photos - what a find!!

i just KNEW there was shops on the left hand side on the Seafar ramp, i just hadnt had proof.
i also noticed how run down the centre looks by late 70s early 80s.
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby AP72 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:42 pm

Here are some more:
http://www.retronaut.com/2012/04/cumber ... land-1968/

http://www.glasgowarchitecture.co.uk/cu ... centre.htm

I love these as it shows just how much buggering about has happened with this building. In the first link look for the image of scan bookshop and the tsb bank with a crane in the background. A man is walking in the open air across a bridge... Now look in the second link for the third image added 28th April 2011... This is the same walkway now covered in... To complete the story this walkway is now the back of rj mclahlan opticians and the cumbernauld news offices...
AP72
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby DavidMcD316 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:18 pm

Those pics are great! You are right about the buggering around with the building. There's a few photos I have no idea where they are. The materials used to build it must have been poor as the buildings are looking run down only a few years after getting built.
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby kildrumboy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:03 am

The poor state of the buildings could be due to styles issues ie although they were ahead of thier time they dated quicker than other modern buildings , however I have concerns over the materials that were used in the construction of the town centre as I grew up in Kildrum and recently the flats in Ainslie were knocked down due to structural problems and way back in the late seventies we were decanted from our street for a year as the concrete flooring was cracked and had to be replaced, there were a number of streets that had this problem and as Kildrum was one of the first areas built in the New Town I would have presumed that similar materials and or building techniques were used in the building of the centre at this time. Has anyone else heard of any similar issues. I have bookmarked the link where all these pictures are and cant wait to show my parents as a number of these are before my time but they will probably remember and bring back some good memories , thanks for the link.
kildrumboy
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects