Hidden Cumbernauld.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Hidden Cumbernauld.

Postby AP72 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:41 pm

Always find it fascinating how this, one of the most derided buildings anywhere holds so many memories for so many people. Dont want to reopen the whole "bin it" vs "keep it" debate as to be honest I can see both sides of the argument, but right now is a very crucial period... I wrote to Jamie Hepburn MSP to ask if NLC had intimated to him if they or Campsies Centres will bid the £3.5m the administrators of the current owners are looking for the building (Phase 1 that is in its current 'state').. Getting it into council ownership is the only way forward...

For the record im in the keep it camp... Why? Yes it was a building too far, yes it has failed in almost every function it was intended but as the Channel 4 Demolition programme noted in 2005, cities spend millions trying to get an iconic building and here is one just needing to be reinvented. Maybe it was just because it was the '60s but at least they tried something different... World's first indoor Town Centre, UK's first Indoor Shopping Centre must be worth something... Maybe not...

The Demolition programme showed what could be done were it not for the shocking attitude of NLC... If it is in public ownership they cant hide behind the "we dont own it" line as we would all own it and they would be accountable... Pipe dream? Google what Birmingham City Council were able to do with the Bullring - a building whose history is every bit as famous as this one....
AP72
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby DavidMcD316 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:39 pm

AP72 wrote:Always find it fascinating how this, one of the most derided buildings anywhere holds so many memories for so many people. Dont want to reopen the whole "bin it" vs "keep it" debate as to be honest I can see both sides of the argument, but right now is a very crucial period... I wrote to Jamie Hepburn MSP to ask if NLC had intimated to him if they or Campsies Centres will bid the £3.5m the administrators of the current owners are looking for the building (Phase 1 that is in its current 'state').. Getting it into council ownership is the only way forward...

For the record im in the keep it camp... Why? Yes it was a building too far, yes it has failed in almost every function it was intended but as the Channel 4 Demolition programme noted in 2005, cities spend millions trying to get an iconic building and here is one just needing to be reinvented. Maybe it was just because it was the '60s but at least they tried something different... World's first indoor Town Centre, UK's first Indoor Shopping Centre must be worth something... Maybe not...

The Demolition programme showed what could be done were it not for the shocking attitude of NLC... If it is in public ownership they cant hide behind the "we dont own it" line as we would all own it and they would be accountable... Pipe dream? Google what Birmingham City Council were able to do with the Bullring - a building whose history is every bit as famous as this one....

ive been to the bullring. its amazing what they done to it. cumbernauld the town and the town centre has suffered decades of neglect from council after council..
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mjw » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:01 pm

It must've been this forum where someone told me about the Douglas Campbell Show on Flikr, thanks for that. Anyone else recognise the photos listed as Deadwood Lane? surely that's the clay mine up towards Palacerigg, the one of the wee reservoir with the campsies in the background is the clincher. Never heard the track being called that before.

Incidently there's another cave-in near the old one, this time involving a lot of bricks, perhaps it was an undiscovered exit?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby commandlinegamer » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:30 pm

DavidMcD316 wrote:i just KNEW there was shops on the left hand side on the Seafar ramp, i just hadnt had proof.

?

The shops on the left are all still there. They're not all occupied, though. Difference now is the glassed in walkway and roof.
commandlinegamer
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby appleofglasgow » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:21 am

Re joining this topic we think on the same wavelength AP72

I have some images of the connecting walkways that took you to the ASDA/Woolworths site but not of the actual building itself. Just the walkways.

There is a new page on Facebook (I don't think you need to have an account to view it) dedicated to old photos I have chucked a good few dozen on (Ryan McGrory).

I have linked to the main photos page for you guys to have a look.

I am pleased to see that others are starting to get a bit passionate about trying to retain and rennovate this iconic building, winner of world architectural awards, as opposed to just thinking short-sightedly and saying "demolish it".

:)

Linky:
http://www.facebook.com/OldCumbernauldPictures/photos
appleofglasgow
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby banjo » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:00 pm

homes under the hammer on just now.(greengairs) cumbernauld.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DavidMcD316 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:05 am

on facebook there is a page called 'old cumbernauld'.

last night it posted photos of Woolco inside and out!! :D
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby appleofglasgow » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:00 pm

Yes, I already said David... ::):

I'm Ryan on there contributed most of the photos. Got some more coming.
appleofglasgow
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby DavidMcD316 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:27 am

appleofglasgow wrote:Yes, I already said David... ::):

I'm Ryan on there contributed most of the photos. Got some more coming.

excellent stuff. i thought there had been an internet ban on phase 3 photos! :)
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby marmionman » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:15 pm

Thanks for posting these Ryan the pics of woolco are amazing.
The John menzies one is a cracker as well. I had forgotten it was split over 2 levels.

I went through central way on the bus on Monday and couldnt belive how characterless that section of the centre looks now.

Did it go straight from woolco to Asda does anybody remember? Or was there somebody else in between times.
marmionman
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby DavidMcD316 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:27 pm

it went from Woolco - Gateway - Asda.

the 'new' Asda was built in 1994.
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fauldsman » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:39 am

Hi guys. Great thread btw. There was talk and some photos of the old A73 road and bridge at Cumbernauld train station. That bridge has now been removed sadly and a new bridge put in its place. This is because the long awaited electrification of the line is coming closer and the old bridge was unsuitable, too low or something. Here are some pics of what it looks like now.

Looking south from the station buildings to where the bridge used to be-

The new footbridge-

Looking across the new bridge-

The view west from bridge-

The view east-

Station buildings and the scar left by the old bridge's removal-

View from up the route of the old road-

Another view of where the bridge was looking north-

Another view of the new bridge-

Looking west from the platform-

Fauldsman
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby DavidMcD316 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:51 am

thanks for those excellent pictures.

very sad they got rid of that old bridge.
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fauldsman » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:18 am

Aye, it was a shame it became redundant in the construction of the new town. I have always felt that Cumbernauld was centered in the wrong place and it would have been better had it been centered on the station instead. Down in the valley as it were instead of on a high boggy moorland ridge...ah, what could have been...
Fauldsman
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby DavidMcD316 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:33 am

it is strange how far they built the town centre from the train station and also how they never built a station in Abronhill, but one 30 seconds away in Greenfaulds.
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects