Hidden Cumbernauld.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Hidden Cumbernauld.

Postby applemaca » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:27 pm

uploaded a few more......... http://www.flickr.com/photos/applemaca/ ... hotostream

Abronhill 1968/69 by Applemaca, on Flickr
“Let me in old pensioner……for I am a bogus gasman, wi fake ID, n’am here tae ransack yur hoose!”
applemaca
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby mrsam » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:01 pm

All of these photies got me wondering, anyone got any photies of Cumbernauld High.?

Mr Sam
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

www..photobucket.com/albums/ll103/thecuriocollector

www..photobucket.com/albums/v195/tarbat2003
mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby applemaca » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:34 pm

Abronhill farm 1965 I believe by Applemaca, on Flickr

Site of Abronhill Farm Present by Applemaca, on Flickr

A sort of "Then & Now"

The road running past Abronhill Farm in the 1965 photograph was Slamanan Road.
In the google maps capture, the road marked "Pine Close" is running almost exactaly on the line of the old Slamanan Road.

Hope Angus doesn't mind me using his photo?

I often wonder if they filled in the cellar while demolishing the farm buildings, it could be accessed via a trap door behind the staircase in the main building. If they didn't? Well................................... 8)
“Let me in old pensioner……for I am a bogus gasman, wi fake ID, n’am here tae ransack yur hoose!”
applemaca
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Beavis64 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:20 am

Some great and interesting pics applemaca, good to see what the areas of cumbernauld were like before it was built up into the town it now is.
Hope you have more more us... :) Meanwhile I'm off to Pine Close with a large spade....
Beavis64
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby applemaca » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:58 am

"Wardpark - Abronhill.
To serve the Wardpark - Abronhill - Whitelees area it has been necessary to find a suitable alignment for a road, radial in character. to run from the existing road A.80 at Burroughs, under the new road A.80, past the various areas of development to join the main hilltop road system at the Greenyards junction south of the railway. These determining factors have been accepted in the design of this route, firstly because its character as a radial road should be preserved and, therefore, it should connect to similar roads at either end, and secondly because in any case it is not possible to find any economical routes across the deep glens to the north and east of the Cumbernauld House policies which separate the villages from the main hilltop.

After considering a number of possible alignments, particularly in the vicinity of the railway. the most suitable from economic and physical points of view follow the Slamannan Road from its connection with the existing road A.80, through an improved bend at Wardpark Farm, across the railway slightly west of the existing road bridge and sweeping eastwards along the south facing slopes of the North Whitelees hilltop to join a wide arc on levelling ground and emerging on a straight south western route parallel to the electricity grid line and to the south east of the existing Back o' Bog Road to join the Greenyards junction. There would be one point of access from this radial road to Wardpark Village, one each to the Wardpark and Whitelees industrial areas and two to Abronhill Village. It would have to be constructed as a dual carriageway from trunk road A.80 to Wardpark and from Greenyards junction to the westerly connection with Abronhill Village. The remainder can be a single carriageway except at the connection with Whitelees industrial area.

With regard to feeder roads within these villages, the Wardpark site presents certain difficulties particularly in levels. Access to the site can be obtained from the radial road on the line of Slamannan Road, the eastern side of which is being developed industrially, but since this village, by its isolation and land form with southern slopes, is particularly suitable for better standard housing, it is felt that an alternative vehicular outlet should be arranged. Investigations are now proceeding into the possibility of combining Cumbernauld Village and Wardpark as one community with access to the northern radial road in the vicinity of the Monument. The position is complicated by the fact that traffic from Dullatur. which will increase in quantity if further building development takes place there, will have to pass through Cumbernauld Village to reach the new trunk road A. 80 at the junction at Old Inns.

Abronhill Village is served by a simple feeder road in the form of a ring road giving access to culs-de-sac for housing development."

Some interesting place names mentioned here. Anyone have any idea who wrote this & when?

by Beavis64 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:20 am

"Some great and interesting pics applemaca, good to see what the areas of cumbernauld were like before it was built up into the town it now is.
Hope you have more more us... Meanwhile I'm off to Pine Close with a large spade...."

Let me know when and I'll join you..... ::):
applemaca
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby mjw » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:12 am

applemaca wrote:I'm thinking one the two buildings slap bang in the centre of the area circled by the greenfaulds loop road might be the buildings you're talking about? http://www.flickr.com/photos/applemaca/

P.S. I've forgotten how to paste an image along with a post, or have things changed?.... :?

After looking at the 1957 map, the two buildings might be called 'The Coppice' and 'Inchanagh' and one must've been renamed Touchwood House and used by the Labour Social Club at a later point. The Children's home was slightly to the north of there on the site of the present day Bowling club's car park or thereabouts, the field which was to the home's south can still be seen as an open space to the west of Ivanhoe Road.
mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby applemaca » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:50 am

After looking at the 1957 map, the two buildings might be called 'The Coppice' and 'Inchanagh' and one must've been renamed Touchwood House and used by the Labour Social Club at a later point. The Children's home was slightly to the north of there on the site of the present day Bowling club's car park or thereabouts, the field which was to the home's south can still be seen as an open space to the west of Ivanhoe Road.
[/quote]

Hmm...not sure I agree. what's confusing me is you mentioning the "1957map". I don't think either "The Coppice' and 'Inchanagh' (if that's the names of the two buildings in the 1970's map) are visible in the 1957 map......but I'm not putting the mortgage on it.

I have the two images west of the image I uploaded but nothing to the north.......but I know a man who does!..... :D

btw........a wee search of the Glasgow General Directory 1927 revealed this

"Cullen, Peter F. (of John Cullen & Sons, Ltd.), ho. Inchanagh, Greenfaulds, Cumbernauld".
applemaca
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby mjw » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:53 pm

applemaca wrote:

Hmm...not sure I agree. what's confusing me is you mentioning the "1957map". I don't think either "The Coppice' and 'Inchanagh' (if that's the names of the two buildings in the 1970's map) are visible in the 1957 map......but I'm not putting the mortgage on it.

I have the two images west of the image I uploaded but nothing to the north.......but I know a man who does!..... :D

btw........a wee search of the Glasgow General Directory 1927 revealed this

"Cullen, Peter F. (of John Cullen & Sons, Ltd.), ho. Inchanagh, Greenfaulds, Cumbernauld".[/quote]

Sorry Apple meant to mention it was the ordnance survey map from that year and the two buildings are marked on it, anyway after looking again at the 1969 map it's clear that Inchanagh was renamed Touchwood House for whatever reason and that Greenfaulds Home was gone by 1969 and was at the site I mentioned previously. The photo you've uploaded would have shown the Greenfaulds Home if it was still there but obviously the CDC bulldozers had been active in this part of the town. Great photos by the way, any more would be very well received
mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Beavis64 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:31 pm

Cumbernauld New Town 1 by Beavis64, on Flickr

Cumbernauld New Town 2 by Beavis64, on Flickr

Some pics of shiny new Greenfaulds/Condorrat and Ravenswood probably mid 1970's I reckon..
Beavis64
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby mjw » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:01 am

From map of 1957, it's actually quite concerning comparing what has been bulldozed with what we see these days, the CDC must've been so sure of themselves

mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby AP72 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:15 pm

For some reason bing.com/maps has an old satellite map of the town (google more up to date) - pre big car park at Greenfaulds Station... You can clearly see the line of the old road leading up to what was Lenziemill level crossing (and on into Greenfaulds)... Just near the '300' contour line bottom left.... btw, anyone had a look at this:
https://eplanning.northlan.gov.uk/Onlin ... 0232%2FFUL
AP72
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Julz » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:55 pm

appleofglasgow wrote:
There is something across from the library that is closed and I'm sure there is another bit with a massive roller shut down on that floor also. Really not sure though.

The pictures are going on Flickr and I will let you know asap when they appear, the video is getting edited together into a montage along to a period piece of library music to complete the mood of the place.

I know this post was a while ago, but I'm new here. I've lived in Cumbernauld all my life.

The bit with the massive roller shutter was this when you came out of the library, turned left and walked along a bit? If so it could have been the old Town Hall. It is up on that floor. It's been shut for many years though. Most recently it was kitted out as a soft play area for children by a company called Scotia Play, but it got too expensive to run. It's a criminal waste because it's a huge, fabulous space. It was replaced by the New Town Hall on North Carbrain Road.
Julz
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Beavis64 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:14 pm

That was the old town hall, I only know this because I used to go to the under 18's disco on sat nights there many years ago :)
Beavis64
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:57 am

Brian Miller -An obituary
After a spell as a technical illustrator with Rolls-Royce, the promise of a new house for his growing family led him to an interview with the Cumbernauld Development Corporation. A few abstract doodles on the card separating examples of technical illustration caught the eye of the interviewers and he found himself being appointed as town artist for the growing town, the first such position in the UK.

Cumbernauld in the early 1960s was at the forefront of modern town planning, and attracted professionals from around the world to work. In this cosmopolitan and forward thinking atmosphere, he was given free rein to help develop the town, adding colour and environmental artworks to the rapidly growing community, as well as designing logos, signage and exhibitions to promote the town to investors and industry.

The Herald
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:57 pm

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects