Hidden Cumbernauld.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Hidden Cumbernauld.

Postby appleofglasgow » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:32 am

Had a look at the linked gallery. I'm sure I've seen it before but the size of those pictures is terrible.

Added the guy on Facebook in the hope he has bigger versions but just doesn't have enough webspace to but the larger ones up!

Ryan
appleofglasgow
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby mjw » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:33 pm

purplepantman wrote:"There's a limit to what planners can do. All they can do is provide the framework.
It's the people who make the town - and make it live".
Magnus Magnusson

Watched that film a hundered times at least.
Fair brings a tear to ma wee een every time.

Anyway, found some great Cumbernauld pics on here...

http://cumbernauldwhatsitcalled.co.uk/photowhie.html

This one of Cumbernauld House surprised me...

I had no idea the old council offices were so expansive.
You'd never know they'd ever been there.

I did a yts scheme in the mid 80s in Cumbie House, and the CDC offices were a sizeable construction, in two floors in parts and it was possible to lose your bearings, the typing pool was the small office to the bottom right and to its left was planning where you could've seen the town centre plans which had the area now occupied by Tesco as designated for Marks and Sparks. I can only recall being in the big house a couple of times, there was an entrance from the car park into the portacabin offices, good times back then even if I didn't entirely agree at the time, half pints at the Nine Dragons being a highlight.
mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby applemaca » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:50 pm

"had the area now occupied by Tesco as designated for Marks and Sparks."

Really? I'd always assumed the rumours surrounding M&S were just that....rumours.

Any idea why M&S never showed face in "the Toonie" then?

And btw! the nine dragons served the best sweet & sour pork balls known to man...... :wink:
“Let me in old pensioner……for I am a bogus gasman, wi fake ID, n’am here tae ransack yur hoose!”
applemaca
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Nizzy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:27 pm

cumbycritter wrote:Hi all, for more info on Cumbernauld and some help with the discussions on here then visit http://www.cumbernauldwhatsitcalled.co.uk
Could do with some suggestions also for adding to site, ta all.Cumby critter.

Loved Brian Miller's film footage. Was back in town for the first time in a while at the weekend and was saddened to hear of his passing. Further information on the featured Cumbernauld United/Celtic match can be found here:

http://www.celticprogrammesonline.com/PROGRAMME%20COVERS/6768/cumbernauld/cumbernauld6768a.htm
Nizzy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby mjw » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:23 pm

applemaca wrote:"had the area now occupied by Tesco as designated for Marks and Sparks."

Really? I'd always assumed the rumours surrounding M&S were just that....rumours.

And btw! the nine dragons served the best sweet & sour pork balls known to man...... :wink:

Don't know why they never built here but I've heard that they prefer to buy the land and the CDC were only offering to lease it to them, it's funny how it still lingers of unfulfilled promise as there was an apparent planning application a couple of years ago to convert the Dunnes store to M&S. While I believe companies like M&S are money grabbing gits they would set up shop here if they thought they could make a killing, they don't think they can so they won't.
mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Icecube » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:35 pm

The BP garage/mini market near Broadwood is branded M & S but its a franchise apparently.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby applemaca » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:46 pm

mjw wrote:
applemaca wrote:"had the area now occupied by Tesco as designated for Marks and Sparks."

Don't know why they never built here but I've heard that they prefer to buy the land and the CDC were only offering to lease it to them, it's funny how it still lingers of unfulfilled promise as there was an apparent planning application a couple of years ago to convert the Dunnes store to M&S. While I believe companies like M&S are money grabbing gits they would set up shop here if they thought they could make a killing, they don't think they can so they won't.

I wonder if their opinion would be different if the town centre had stores the like of these still trading as well as the present lot.............Malcolm allan's, Malcolm Campbell, Gulliver's Presto, Galbraith's, Templeton's, Wimpey Bar, Clarks, Shoefayre, Barratts, Dixon, Mothercare, Woolco, CO-OP, Goldbergs, WEWW, Kay's, Bow's, Arnott-Simpson, McKay's, Dalziels, City Bakeries, DER, Radio Rentals, Lunn Polly, Thomas Cooke, Halfords, Scottish Power, Scottish Gas, Focus, Adams, Remnant King's, Beatties, More Store,
Fopp.........or retailers like them? Alleviating the locals need to head en masse into Glasgow to shop.

I wonder also, just how many £millions drain out of the local economy every year due to the lack of will or desire on the part of NLC to give Cumbernauld the retail centre it needs & deserves?
Last edited by applemaca on Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
“Let me in old pensioner……for I am a bogus gasman, wi fake ID, n’am here tae ransack yur hoose!”
applemaca
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Beavis64 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:42 am

Some cracking old pics of cumbernauld in here http://cumbernauldwhatsitcalled.co.uk/photowhie.html
Anyone know where greenfaulds children's home used to be in the 2nd picture? Never heard of it before only heard of a greenfaulds farm before the area was constrcucted.
Beavis64
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby mjw » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:26 pm

Beavis64 wrote:Some cracking old pics of cumbernauld in here http://cumbernauldwhatsitcalled.co.uk/photowhie.html
Anyone know where greenfaulds children's home used to be in the 2nd picture? Never heard of it before only heard of a greenfaulds farm before the area was constrcucted.

That's part of the reason why the CDC got away with obliterating what was pre-1956 because everyone thought all there was a handful of farms. But anyway I can remember stumbling across a mansion type house in Greenfaulds in the mid/late 80s that was the Labour Social Club that was subsequently bulldozed for the building of an old folks house, it was completely out of character in the midst of a corporation housing area. Don't know if this was the same building as in the photo but there was a sizeable scattered settlement in Greenfaulds before the new town, that's what gets me about the CDC did they have to knock down everything they didn't construct, couldn't they have worked with the established roads/buildings that they inherited? the only things to survive the Corporation were the trees.
mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Beavis64 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:56 am

Yes I know what you mean, years of historical culture simply demolished to make way for new housing just doesn't seem right and probably wouldn't happen today.
I think you're right about the greenfaulds labour club I remember playing next to it when i was a kid back in the late 70's
Some info about the house here http://www.cumbernauldwhatsitcalled.co.uk/greenf.html
Beavis64
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby applemaca » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:29 pm

I'm thinking one the two buildings slap bang in the centre of the area circled by the greenfaulds loop road might be the buildings you're talking about? http://www.flickr.com/photos/applemaca/

P.S. I've forgotten how to paste an image along with a post, or have things changed?.... :?
applemaca
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Beavis64 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:52 pm

Hey Applemaca that's a great pic of greenfaulds, have you got any more like that?
I reckon you're right about the 2 buildings in the centre of the pic, they look like they're exactly where abbotsford road is now built.
Beavis64
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby applemaca » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:57 pm

Beavis64 wrote:Hey Applemaca that's a great pic of greenfaulds, have you got any more like that?
I reckon you're right about the 2 buildings in the centre of the pic, they look like they're exactly where abbotsford road is now built.

of greenfaulds in particular? or Cumbernauld in general?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/applemaca/ ... hotostream
applemaca
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Beavis64 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:53 pm

Both 8)
Beavis64
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby applemaca » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:39 pm

Beavis64 wrote:Both 8)

I've a 20/30 odd, I'll dig 'em out and scan them soon as old chap.
applemaca
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects