Hidden Cumbernauld.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Hidden Cumbernauld.

Postby appleofglasgow » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:28 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/history/s ... auld_v.ram

Hopefully this page will open up a realplayer link for you.

During this video you will see the inside of an apartment, as you say, stairs, and outside the window looks like the golden eagle now I look at it more.

Does it ring a bell?
appleofglasgow
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby mjw » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:02 am

It must be the same flats at that height, look at the promo film http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-Oen9xMdaE at about 4.18 you can see them running past the original apartments though they don't go in, also the chippy can be seen at about 3.47 just above the running figures. Unfortunately the apartment level is probably now knackered remember they demolished part of it which included the ramps from the library level 3 up to the offices level 4 so the only way up there is by lift and if they happen to be all out at the same time...
mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby appleofglasgow » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:42 am

Hi, I posted that video up earlier today with the intention of giving the link here. Was so chuffed when I first stumbled across it a few months ago.

Yeah I can see something at the top o the picture at 3:47 with two people walking past...is that not there anymore or just no access?

The ramp from level 3 to 4 is still there is it not, it's just that trying to access it will bring you to an MDF DIY job where it has been blocked off.

I have only ever attempted two lifts in the fear of embarrassment if I turn up and walk out into an office (not sure what to expect). The first was in the main shopping mall and would not allow me to select floor 4 and the second was as I say, the one furthest away from the library and allowed me to go to 4 but I was met with some creepy locked doors. I will take a video and pictures on my next visit.

Ryan
appleofglasgow
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby mjw » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:46 pm

Taken this morning, this tunnel used to connect to Tryst Road and took you to South Muirhead Road before phase 4 was built in about 1980, Phase 4 was basically the straight mall from present day Argos to the shops occupying the old WmLow/Tesco store. You can see the concrete air shafts in the central reservation as you approach the covered bus stops from the east. Anybody else notice there is no 1st floor on the lift next to the library, the south town centre bus stop used to be there before it was moved to its present site. As for the old chippy on the rooftop, I think there was a stairway at the side of the present day estate agents next to the barbers across from the TSB, there's a second floor in the opticians so perhaps that is the only remaining part of the upper level. The present day chippy near the tax office used to be an RSMcColl newsagent.
mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Seamey » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:40 pm

3:47 onwards is a classic re-enactment of what me and my pals used to call the Town Centre Chase Game. Mentioned before I know, but it was basically a great big game of TIG with the whole of the Town Centre available to play in.
Seamey
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby appleofglasgow » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:09 am

Hello again mjw.

This is absolutely fascinating stuff. Thing is I don't come from Cumbernauld, I'm from Bishopbriggs. I just have an unhealthy obsession with the place.

I have not noticed that about the library lift no, I can't quite understand what you mean by that though. Does the lift not go to floor 1 at all, is this area now closed off?

Speaking of lifts, I went there on Saturday to take pictures of the lift that would take me to floor 4. Guess what...won't let me access it anymore. The feeling of annoyance was great. Got in and hit 4 and nothing lit up, just like the other lifts and then I hit it again and the doors shut, but didn't move, just the sequence the lift does when it thinks it's going no where. Absolutely gutted that I took that one time I got up for granted, and I had the p!ssing camera that day as well!. I just thought that the lift always let you up...

I wonder if I would ever be able to find someone to be so nice as to let me look around the place, every care taker I have came across seems to be a grumpy old so and so who understandably loathes their job.

Apparantly, and conveniently (sarcasm), there has been an exhibition in the centre for the last 2 weeks by various arty types etc. in the vacant units of Phase 1. Finished today, by that I'm not sure if it means like it's packed up and gone by the 7th or the 7th will be it's last day. I might get up early to go up and see if anythings there.

It probably has something to do with an art student from Edinburgh contacting me to have one of my shots of Cumbernauld College in a book to be displayed in the library.

Here we go:
http://asnse.wordpress.com/2010/02/26/today-is-yesterdays-tomorrow/
appleofglasgow
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby appleofglasgow » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:39 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KjgfHrSc8Y

A link to my finished Cumbernauld video. Nothing great, mind and change it to 720p though :P.

I'll eventually stick all the raw footage up for people to look at. Considering disabling comments for these videos because I really cannot be arsed with the usual Cumbernauld hate you get online.
appleofglasgow
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby purplepantman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:06 pm

I enjoyed your video although like all these things it'll be more enjoyable looking back
on it in twenty years time to see whats changed.

Possibly the old centre will be gone by then - which will make your film even more interesting.

appleofglasgow wrote:Speaking of lifts, I went there on Saturday to take pictures of the lift that would take me to floor 4. Guess what...won't let me access it anymore. The feeling of annoyance was great. Got in and hit 4 and nothing lit up, just like the other lifts and then I hit it again and the doors shut, but didn't move, just the sequence the lift does when it thinks it's going no where. Absolutely gutted that I took that one time I got up for granted, and I had the p!ssing camera that day as well!. I just thought that the lift always let you up...
[/url]

Possibly someone (at the centre) may have read your post where you said you'd accessed the 4th floor
and decided to ruin your return visit. Maybe someone on here (a member or a guest) read about your
exploits and decided to check it out too, got caught and they've now blown it for you(?)

Maybe not always a good idea to to announce your covert ops on a public forum.

Anyway I'm off to blow the shutter off mjw's tunnel. Shhh!
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mjw » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:52 pm

Funny how you mentioned that because when I was up shopping this morning and thought I'd see if I could get up there, it was the lift nearest Tesco on the right side of the two. It wouldn't light up when I pressed 4 either so decided just to go to the library instead but when I got off at 3 the lift indicated it was still going up presumably to 4. Couldn't get back in as people were going in at 3 and I've a very low embarrasment threshold and didn't want to look daft in front of others. By the way anyone know if the CDC social club is still open or has that been turned into offices too? should be able to get a decent view of the old chippy area from there.
As for the old level 1 bus stop, I think it got turned into a loading area, but the lift doesn't stop there anymore. Incidently wasn't there an old bus stop on the north side too that I think got wiped out when phase 4 opened, remember going there after seeing a film at the county.
mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby appleofglasgow » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:14 pm

purplepantman Lmao yeah that is very true. That is why I'm trying to overkill the place in photography. The problem is no one cares about anything until it's gone. I would kill to see the old Sauchiehall Centre from when it was an actual shopping centre from about 10-15 years ago.

And yes, I maybe shouldn't have announced on the forum. Although seeing as I've actually yet to come across anyone from the centre staff apart from an old guy shouting at me that he was going to lock up the 3rd floor bridge, then I doubt they have seen it haha.

mjw Oh wow! What a revelation. It seems you must have to trick the lifts into going to the floor then. I will have to try that. Are you sure you didn't just glance and see it with the arrow going up or something? It's worth a shot anyway. As for the lift I was in actually illuminating the level and taking me straight away, no idea why.

What is the CDC social club, because when I went up to level 4 there was a sign saying "CARD HOLDERS ONLY" or "MEMBERS WITH CARDS ONLY" or something on a brown sign in typical 60's font. Maybe something to do with that.

Oh right, it would be great for a pic to illustrate this. I always thought the bus stop leading straight onto the dual carriageway was a bit odd even by Copcutt's standards. Saying that, the look of the place seems to blend in with the centre so it never occurred to me it was bolted on later.

The discussion this thread is raising is just making me wish for a book that chartered in great detail the whole of the centre's history. Although, seeing as it's outrageously uncool to even appreciate the centre in the slightest, I doubt that will ever happen.
appleofglasgow
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby purplepantman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:27 pm

appleofglasgow wrote:What is the CDC social club, because when I went up to level 4 there was a sign saying "CARD HOLDERS ONLY" or "MEMBERS WITH CARDS ONLY" or something on a brown sign in typical 60's font. Maybe something to do with that.

I think CDC stood for Cumbernauld District Council although I'm not 100% sure as I think the local council
at that time was Cumbernauld & Kilsyth District Council. C&KDC club sounds a bit pants so it
was probably just shortened to CDC club. I may be wrong here.

It was this social club I was talking about when I wrote this a few days ago....

purplepantman wrote:About ten years ago I remember being dragged along to some social/working mens club up beside the library
(possibly on another level) to watch the Grand National. What a weird experience - it was like the decor and
fittings hadn't been updated since 1970. I was a bit drunk so it's all a bit hazy but it was weird.
Wonder if it's still open?

I'd be really interested to see what remains of it. I was only there the one (drunken) time
but I'd swear it hadn't been done up since the day it opened. I can remember it had a large
snooker room and from there you got great views of different parts of the centre.

appleofglasgow wrote:Although, seeing as it's outrageously uncool to even appreciate the centre in the slightest....

Uncool but not outrageously so. It's criminal whats been allowed to happen to "the toonie" over the years
and how/why it's ended up in the condition it's in but there are scores of different reasons for that.
The truth is most locals have a softspot for the place. They may not all admit it though!
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:36 am

CDC=Cumbernauld Development Corporation.
All the new towns when set up had development corporations.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:21 am

RDR wrote:CDC=Cumbernauld Development Corporation.
All the new towns when set up had development corporations.

It was the new democratic thing to prevent any popular say in the running of the new towns. Libyans have more say these days.

New towns were built to break Labour's control of Glasgow amongst other more worthy reasons. Why fund moregarden schemes like Knightswood and Cardonald when you could ship them out to the country and give them a ten pin bowling centre.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby appleofglasgow » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:55 pm

purplepantman Very interesting. Well it must be something to do with that sign I was describing earlier. I can't wait to see if this lift trick will work.

As for the state of the centre, disgusting isn't it. I mean I assume that the half the mess under the thing on stilts isn't original? It's clear to see what has always been there but some of it appears to have been tacked on at a later date.

The treatment of the place is despicable. Anyone I have asked absolutely loathes the centre and thinks it's hellish, and I doubt anyone would beleive me if I told them it won architectural awards in it's day and was the centrepiece of architecture all around the world for a while. That's whats truly terrible about the whole thing, just because the space is no longer considered modern, does this mean it should be left to rot and demolsihed. If this was the case then nothing would ever have survived. As stated before the Eiffel Tower was universally hated for many many years.

The problem seems to be more like a plague in this country, both the Trinity Square car park/shopping centre hybrid of Gateshead AND the Tricorn Centre of Portsmouth, both by the same architect and also both of major significance to brutalist architecture are now gone forever. Why? The public's overwhelming loathing of concrete and ignorance of the historical context for the buildings, such as the grand ideas of centralised living that Cumbernauld portrays.

Dexter St. Clair I don't really understand your post, can you elaborate.

Trinity Square, with it's, I can only guess at the time, Premiere restaurant on the rooftop.

The Tricorn Centre of Portsmouth, just a small portion of it.

Another small point, even though this building is save-able, and is considered by local residents as their favourite building of the area, Preston bus station is still making way for another Antonine-esque shopping development. Anywhere on the continent this would at least be gutted and converted...it is considered structurally sound by the way:

appleofglasgow
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby The Egg Man » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:55 pm

purplepantman wrote:..........

Maybe not always a good idea to to announce your covert ops on a public forum.

Maybe that's what Hague did wrong :roll:

Does anyone rate our chances of getting the helicopter back?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects