Glasgows Cobbled Streets and Lanes

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgows Cobbled Streets and Lanes

Postby Fat Cat » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:25 am

Vinegar Tom wrote:Glasgow Ken - I had a roll n' sausage from that van earlier this year - it was fairly manky, but I was starving :)

Fat Cat - you were probably too young to remember (3?) , but do you have any family stories about your Broad Street home?

The area is well worth a visit.

Just really what my mum has told me. My folks came over from Ireland in the 50s and stayed in a room in Duke Street until they could afford a palatial room and kitchen in Broad Street at £150. My mum says it was like Buckingham Palace to them. Seven of us in two rooms (happy days!).

I'll need to get her to refresh my memory and will post back.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:55 pm

Re. Broad Street, the only actual living quarters left are two closes and a caravan site. The rest is industrial buildings, units, etc. Quite an interestin street.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:25 pm

Sydney Rosewater wrote:Re. Broad Street, the only actual living quarters left are two closes and a caravan site.

Indeed, just opposite this building.

Couldn't believe it when I saw the two closes in the middle of all the
industrial stuff. (forgot to get a photo of the closes :()
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:20 pm

One of the remaining tenements in Broad Street will be burned into my memory forever.

I was in my first day in a new job , being trained on the job , straddling the apex of the tenement roof - not a good place to be!! A slate roof can feel so insecure - bits move , it is slippy , and it's a long way down to the pavement 8O

Kindly advised by my trainer that if I slid on the way down , I shouldn't grab the skylight frame ( the only thing to grab !) as it would only come away in my hands.
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:55 pm

This one is Butterfield Place in Port Eglinton.

The cobbles are the "crazy pave" type which seem older than the usual geometric types ( any clues folks because I have not re-read this thread entirely , only for repetition?)

Looking at the old OS maps , this street was originally part of Butterbiggins Road before it was cut by the railway. The site occupied currently by the tyre depo was shown in the 1892-94 sheet as "Glasgow Railway Switch & Crossing Works"

Old OS

Bigger map
>big map<
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peetabix » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:35 pm

Woodside Terrace Lane

Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Rucola » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:00 pm

The cobbles in Lynedoch Street are smoother than any I've ever seen. Have they just been worn down by decades of traffic, or were they always posh extra-flat extra-smooth ones?
Rucola
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Peekay » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:43 pm

Possibly not the right thread, but best place for it I s'pose without starting a new'un.

Round the back lane of Times Square boozer there's odd iron kerbs. They are 1 1/2" thick for about 10 yards, then a modern gap then they double up to 3" wide for about 10 yards. They cover the gutter as well(if you think of a back-to-front "L" you'll know what i mean) and have a cross-hatch pattern on the top that's flush with the pavement.

Any ideas what they are/were for? I don't think it's to do with trams but I may be wrong. If anyone's in that neck of the woods before I'm back you'll see what I mean and a photie would be handy. They're kinda difficult to explain.

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:11 pm

Peekay wrote:Possibly not the right thread, but best place for it I s'pose without starting a new'un.

Round the back lane of Times Square boozer there's odd iron kerbs. They are 1 1/2" thick for about 10 yards, then a modern gap then they double up to 3" wide for about 10 yards. They cover the gutter as well(if you think of a back-to-front "L" you'll know what i mean) and have a cross-hatch pattern on the top that's flush with the pavement.

Any ideas what they are/were for? I don't think it's to do with trams but I may be wrong. If anyone's in that neck of the woods before I'm back you'll see what I mean and a photie would be handy. They're kinda difficult to explain.

PK

It was to stop the cart wheels bashing off the edges of the Kerb stones - there is quite a lot of these still around the town
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:06 am

Anyone seeking an example of how not to lay cobbles should visit the Claremont Street end of Royal Terrace Lane. They're up and doon like a whore's drawers and severly restrict disabled access to the rear of the buildings on Royal Terrace and Royal Crescent. Not good.

Last edited by onyirtodd on Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:55 am

Fossil wrote:
Peekay wrote:Possibly not the right thread, but best place for it I s'pose without starting a new'un.

PK

It was to stop the cart wheels bashing off the edges of the Kerb stones - there is quite a lot of these still around the town

Thanking you. There probably is hunners about just that's the wee bit I smoke at at the back of the pub and hadn't noticed them before. I shall now go and astound the boozer with my new found knowledge.

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:18 pm

At the corner of Mosspark Boulevard and Bellahouston Drive: a glimpse of the old dedicated tram track which ran along the Boulevard from Dumbreck Road to Paisley Road West at Halfway. Trams last used this track in 1960 and the rails have long since gone of course. But as far as I am aware all the setts still lie undisturbed beneath the grass.

viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:16 am

Blimey 8O I didn't think there would be any trace left of that. Nice find :D
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peetabix » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:27 pm