Glasgow's skyline

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow's skyline

Postby Alex Glass » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:30 pm

Dave

It is my understanding that there is still a number of legal agreements that need to be agreed between the developer/SPT/Railtrack.

The decision was taken at the Planning Committee a week past last Tuesday.

I am sure there is still a long way to go before any work starts with this development. At a section to the South it is proposed to build in the gap which is near Queen Street Station at Buchanan Subway Station. It may be possible that this is where the link will be provided. I don't think it is within the application to provide a link directly from a Queen Street Platform.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Matt Quinn » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:50 pm

crusty_bint wrote:take a look at http://www.skyscrapercity.com for new projects in Glasgow (and the rest of the planet for that matter!). The talest structures in Glasgow are the Blue and White Vale flats in Parkhead.

Whitevale and Bluevale are 28 floors according to the site you linked to...

Red Road is 30; the tallest dwellings in Europe when they were built and for some years afterwards...
Matt Quinn

Postby dave2 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:07 am

Alex Glass wrote:Dave

It is my understanding that there is still a number of legal agreements that need to be agreed between the developer/SPT/Railtrack.

The decision was taken at the Planning Committee a week past last Tuesday.

I am sure there is still a long way to go before any work starts with this development. At a section to the South it is proposed to build in the gap which is near Queen Street Station at Buchanan Subway Station. It may be possible that this is where the link will be provided. I don't think it is within the application to provide a link directly from a Queen Street Platform.

Sorry Alex, my bad. There is a proposal from TS (AIUI SPT have to get money from TS for such schemes) to add an 8th high level platform where the current Queen St car park in, as part of the remodeling of the station concourse (longer platforms, more circulation space) and the possible removal of the catering units nearest George Square to allow an enlarged circulation area, with new retail units where the current taxi rank on North Hanover St is (ie next to the new Platform 8).

However I feel that boxing in the bus station is a big mistake.
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:25 am

dave2 wrote:However I feel that boxing in the bus station is a big mistake.

yup, look at how crap anderston bus station was. Never mind fumes, horrid little dark corners for neds/thugs/molesters to hang about in...
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dave2 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:27 am

The only saving grace for Buchanan Bus station is the open feel to it, generated by lots of glass, openings / windows onto the streets surrounding it, the glass roof in the travel centre (bits of), and a bloody big hole in the middle to park buses not in use.

Now, a Bus station on top of a car park, with loads of escalators up, like the ones in cineworld.... but would First Bus ever get a coach to the top?

that would truly add to the skyline.
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tedmaul » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:14 am

dave2 wrote:I see that the council have today rubber stamped the next big change on the skyline - the extension of Buchanan Galleries onto the site of the current car park and the building of a multi storey car park above Buchanan Bus station. now it's up to the Scottish Exec/Governement to decide what happens.

I haven't seen the 'artists impression' of this plan - full of happy couples walking their dogs in, erm, a shopping mall - but I got a shiver when I first read these proposals and had hoped GCC would stamp on this lunatic nonsense. Some hope, I suppose. It's probably asking too much for the Scottish Executive to make a sensible decision on this. It really is an utterly appalling idea as if Glasgow city centre has a shortage of i) shops and ii) cars.
Jim Hacker: "Are you saying that winking at corruption is government policy?"
Sir Humphrey: "No, no, Minister. It could never be government policy. That is unthinkable. Only government practice."
tedmaul
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:16 am

My Kitten wrote:
dave2 wrote:However I feel that boxing in the bus station is a big mistake.

yup, look at how crap anderston bus station was. Never mind fumes, horrid little dark corners for neds/thugs/molesters to hang about in...

you forgot to mention bus spotters
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby AlanM » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:25 pm

dave2 wrote:The only saving grace for Buchanan Bus station is the open feel to it, generated by lots of glass, openings / windows onto the streets surrounding it, the glass roof in the travel centre (bits of), and a bloody big hole in the middle to park buses not in use.

Now, a Bus station on top of a car park, with loads of escalators up, like the ones in cineworld.... but would First Bus ever get a coach to the top?

that would truly add to the skyline.

The bus station in Boston, is above the main line railway station, with stances on several levels - the buses go round a big spiral ramp to get to the correct level and as its fairly open the fumes don't really build up - it was very clean and well run too!
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dave2 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:13 pm

The issue here would be the nice trainshed at Queen St being glass and putting a bus station above it could be tricky.

Of course if there is a master plan to rebuild / relocate the city centre colleges onto a site near Alan Glen's site, and away from to College of Building and Printing site, then that would also make a good Bus station, again with good links to Queen St. However, I can't see online / recollect wheat the plan for the college rationalisation was. The Edinburgh bus station is quite nice for a closed in one, as the shops only overhand the passenger concourse and the edge of the bus area. This would be a square of parking above the current bus stances, with a nice 'hole' in the middle if it was applied to the bus station.
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bilco8 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:15 am

From Oswald Street car park.................
Error: Witty comment not found
bilco8
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby bilco8 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:19 pm

From the top of Buchanan Street shopping centre car park.
bilco8
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby bilco8 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:24 pm

bilco8
First Stripe
First Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects