Past Present Vol 2

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Past Present Vol 2

Postby peasy23 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:07 am

Glasgow Council's disposal facility at Polmadie is due for demolition in the next couple of months, it was built in the 50's and the site has been sold off to a private company (Viridor) who will now make a profit from the city's rubbish.
Attachments
image.jpg
plant.jpg
User avatar
peasy23
First Stripe
First Stripe
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:03 pm

Re: Past Present Vol 2

Postby BTJustice » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:14 pm

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

The West of Scotland VW club.
http://www.vwscotclub.co.uk

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
User avatar
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1516
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:57 pm
Location: Cathcart

Re: Past Present Vol 2

Postby Lawman » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:09 pm

peasy23 wrote:Glasgow Council's disposal facility at Polmadie is due for demolition in the next couple of months, it was built in the 50's and the site has been sold off to a private company (Viridor) who will now make a profit from the city's rubbish.



Quite a nice looking building, considering it's use.
Lawman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:32 am

Re: Past Present Vol 2

Postby Socceroo » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:37 pm

Lawman wrote: Quite a nice looking building, considering it's use.


Beauty is in the eye of the beholder right enough.
User avatar
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1367
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:51 pm
Location: Mount Flo, Glasgow

Re: Past Present Vol 2

Postby peasy23 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:27 pm

I've mentioned elsewhere that I've worked in Glasgow Council's Polmadie workshop for 26 years, but we've been shipped out an the building has been demolished in the last few weeks. Here's a then and now from just about a month apart! I'm a few yards out with the second pic. :oops:
Attachments
workshoppastpresentwest.png
User avatar
peasy23
First Stripe
First Stripe
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:03 pm

Re: Past Present Vol 2

Postby Josef » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:10 pm

peasy23 wrote:I've mentioned elsewhere that I've worked in Glasgow Council's Polmadie workshop for 26 years, but we've been shipped out an the building has been demolished in the last few weeks. Here's a then and now from just about a month apart! I'm a few yards out with the second pic. :oops:


They're both excellent panoramas. And a good subject. Ta.
User avatar
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 8144
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:43 pm

Re: Past Present Vol 2

Postby Gerry B » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:02 pm

A wee Half Cheated Past Present
Image

Today
Image
The Last Time I looked In The Mirror! I Was Still There......
User avatar
Gerry B
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:39 pm
Location: South Lanarkshire Now...

Re: Past Present Vol 2

Postby yokerboy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:51 pm

Thanks Brian

RE PAST PRESENT VOL 2.

1.Speirs Hall: I remember going to some discos there in the early 1970s. I rememeber the hall being a bit run down. ProbablY around 1973? There was a fire it it( rumoured to be due to young guys drinking in the building). Sad loss.
2. Yoker boudary pictures: older members of my family remember a cemetery where the Mill Street flats are now.
yokerboy
Just settling in
Just settling in
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:46 pm

Re: Yoker - Past & Present

Postby yokerboy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:02 pm

Thanks Brian.

1.Spiers Hall: remember as a tweenie going to discos there. The building was later set on fire I think around 1973? by some young teenagers drinking in it. Not sure if it was meant, but happened. It was later knocked down. Sad.

2.Yoker Mill Road: older family remembers a cemetery on the grounds of the flat.

3. Yoker WW11 bombs: You are correct as my late mother grew up in Earl Street and has told me about the first bomb falling on Langholm St. I remember seeing as a kid the area of Blawarthall Street which was later rebuild. Now demolished. She also told my about the Yoker distillery being bombed and having a terrible fire. She told me a story about seing a lone germana bomber dropping stick bombs.
yokerboy
Just settling in
Just settling in
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:46 pm

Re: Yoker - Past & Present

Postby yoker brian » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:44 pm

yokerboy wrote:Thanks Brian.

1.Spiers Hall: remember as a tweenie going to discos there. The building was later set on fire I think around 1973? by some young teenagers drinking in it. Not sure if it was meant, but happened. It was later knocked down. Sad.

2.Yoker Mill Road: older family remembers a cemetery on the grounds of the flat.

3. Yoker WW11 bombs: You are correct as my late mother grew up in Earl Street and has told me about the first bomb falling on Langholm St. I remember seeing as a kid the area of Blawarthall Street which was later rebuild. Now demolished. She also told my about the Yoker distillery being bombed and having a terrible fire. She told me a story about seing a lone germana bomber dropping stick bombs.



Hi yoker boy

To the best of my knowledge and fairly extensive research there has never been a cemetery or burial ground in the Yoker area, up until the opening of the Kilbowie/Dalnotter cemeteries in Clydebank, The deceased of Yoker were routinely buried in Renfrew Churchyard or Arkleston - funeral cortèges were given free passage on the Ferry at one stage, although there was a court case in the 19th century as it was disputed whether free passage was allowed on the return journey!!

Clydebank dog track once stood where the Yokermill / Glasgow Road flats stood, prior to this it was a collection of small cottages
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
User avatar
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1425
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:28 pm
Location: Im here, where are you?

Re: Past Present Vol 2

Postby Alycidon » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:51 am




You actually should be standing on the southbound carraigeway of the GSO to get the true shot, bit more dangerous though :D
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
User avatar
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1047
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:11 am
Location: Eaglesham

Re: Past Present Vol 2

Postby BTJustice » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:35 pm

Alycidon wrote:



You actually should be standing on the southbound carraigeway of the GSO to get the true shot, bit more dangerous though :D


I did think I was risking a fine and 3 points on my artistic license with that shot but with a muddy field full of angry looking cows I chose not to go off road and onto the M/way.
Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

The West of Scotland VW club.
http://www.vwscotclub.co.uk

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
User avatar
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1516
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:57 pm
Location: Cathcart

Re: Yoker - Past & Present

Postby yokerboy » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:10 pm

Hi Brian,
Thanks for this reply. Maybe the older relative is confused abouth a graveyard at The Yoker/Clydebank boundary. I don't remember it being a bit younger. I do remember Social Security building being about there,looking like an old prefab type building!
yokerboy
Just settling in
Just settling in
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:46 pm

Re: Past Present Vol 2

Postby yokerboy » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:48 pm

Re: Annielands Road. I remember these house being delirect and running through the gardens down to the railway line when a kid. Yes Knocked down to build the shopping centre.
yokerboy
Just settling in
Just settling in
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:46 pm

Re: Past Present Vol 2

Postby banjo » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:07 am

yokerboy,the social security building stood between hamilton st and napier st next to laidlaws garage.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 3197
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:26 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 9 guests