Past Present Vol 2

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby McShad » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:03 pm

Would this be the same reason that section of the canal was piped underground?
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:05 pm

It isn't piped underground there :? How far do you mean, the opened up portion ?
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:16 pm

I know the wee bit you mean, but I think that was done just to create a covered area of land as the canal wasn't in use. A canal buff will know the story, are there any on here ? :-)

GCT hoped to continue the tram lines westward, but yet more arguements prevented this, and the terminus stopped just short of the bridge.
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:25 pm

This is the F&C you're on about, yes? It isnt piped anymore. It was basically abandoned
in the 1960's and some lift bridges culverted and some sections piped. It is now
open all the way from Bowling to Grangemouth once again.

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:33 pm

Yeah I remember all the construction work, must have cost quite a bit.
I've only seen one boat actually using it.
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Strike Team » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:57 pm

Great pics guys.

brickwall wrote:Goods Station and Crosvegates farm

The first pics look like the goods sidings that lay to the East of Milngavie station, which is now the station car park, rather than the main line to the passenger station that's in the present-day piccy. The track leading to the passenger station appears to run behind the photographer, the overhead pylons for the electrified main line being just visible to the right of the picture.

The Railscot site indicates that this line was electrified in 1959. No date is given for the closure of Milngavie goods station, however the clearly visible goods train and pylons would suggest that the photo was taken between 1959 and the mid 1960's, when local goods services were abolished.
Strike Team
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby brickwall » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:06 am

You're dates are correct but the first photo is slightly misleading. This photo shows the overview

The original photo was taken from th end of the platform on the right, the one I took was shot from just left of the left hand platform; I had the dog with me and the station was busy and I did not want to hassle the ticket dude for entry. Look carefully in the left of the photos and you can see the metal bridge crossing the line. BTW the new tracks are in a slightly different place to the old. Hope this helps.
eh?
brickwall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:58 pm

glasgowken wrote:The Girnin Gates, entrance to Garscadden House, Drumchapel.
The entrance to the Donald Dewar Leisure Centre is just to the right of the old opening.

Thanks for this, GK, I've always wanted to know where exactly the gates were located. My mum recalls being taken there by her father when she was young, and I'd love to take a saunter past it now. Are there any remains of the gates, or has everything been landscaped?

Tim
»»» Timelapse : Glasgow «««

»»» A History of Scotstoun ««« (UPDATED: 26 June 2007)
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:38 am

Nothing that I could see Tim, the actual gate opening was about where those four stumps are.

There's a few bits and pieces of stonework, and wall, further along the road, which I believe were part of the boundary walls to the grounds of Gascadden House, but nothing too great.
The crypt (I think that's what it is) is also still there, next to the tower blocks up the hill :?
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ninatoo » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:43 am

I saw a photo of these gates just yesterday on Vitual Mitchell while searching for Drumchapel. It had a weird description "Corporation housing: site and site preparation". It didn't look like there was any preparation going on. Supposed date was 1953.

Nina
ninatoo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:11 am

glasgowken wrote:The crypt (I think that's what it is) is also still there, next to the tower blocks up the hill :?

Sounds impressive! Is there much to see of this crypt? Apologies for the many repetitive question - I really must take a look for myself.

Tim
»»» Timelapse : Glasgow «««

»»» A History of Scotstoun ««« (UPDATED: 26 June 2007)
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:13 am

I haven't been up there in years Tim, it's not the best area to hang about with a camera ::): I'll take a look in a couple of days.

ninatoo wrote:I saw a photo of these gates just yesterday on Vitual Mitchell while searching for Drumchapel. It had a weird description "Corporation housing: site and site preparation". It didn't look like there was any preparation going on. Supposed date was 1953.

Nina

Around that area in the 1950's, the Corporation built the vast Drumchapel housing scheme. Although there really wasn't any reason to demolish the gates, until recently nothing was actually built on that exact site. The excuse was they were dangerous and being vandalised :roll:
A greater loss was the Peel of Drumry tower, furher to the west. Built in the 1530's, it was another victim of the Corpy.

BTW, on Google Earth can be seen a survivor (of sorts). Part of the original path of the road which ran around the Garscadden House estate. The Yoker Burn also ran alongside at this point before it connected with the Garscadden Burn.
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:26 pm

Past and present of govan 1960 to present day. :)

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:29 pm

Cracker Mo! :D
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Socceroo » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:07 pm

Tis Ibrox not Govan....
Socceroo