Glasgow Garden Festival 1988

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow Garden Festival 1988

Postby Giffer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:03 pm

In your words Mori..it was only an opinion.
Giffer
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Mori » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:32 pm

Giffer wrote:In your words Mori..it was only an opinion.

Thats the 1st ive heard of anyone slate the 1988 GGF !, no doubt there will many more like you.

In my opinion the city turned around after the festival, i seen the demised docks and waterfronts from the the then government that shut down most of the shipbuilding from when i was a youngster during the 60s/70s.

For me and many 100s of 1000s of Glaswegians this was a Godsend and brought much prosperity and recognition to the City.

Are you excited about the 2014 CWG or is the feeling mutual like the 1988 GGF ?
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:39 pm

i loved it.thought it was here one day and gone the next though.much needed colour at just the right time and not too harsh on the pocket as i recall.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:39 am

Getting an early family season ticket was an unusually good decision for me. Great place to take the young ones and I enjoyed a carefully watched pint of German beer on most visits and a ride on the trams.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pointyears » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:12 pm

Does anyone have any pictures of the talking one-eyed alien cactus thing that was at the GGF?
Pointyears
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:35 am

Pointyears wrote:Does anyone have any pictures of the talking one-eyed alien cactus thing that was at the GGF?

Only in HG would you get a question like this!! brilliant.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ninatoo » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:48 am

I was rummaging through my Gran's papers today on a genealogy hunt (she died in 1995 so she wouldn't mind me going through her things). I came across this! In her typical way, she made a note on the ticket of the day she attended. She made notes about everything, and I mean everything! This date was four days after her birthday so it could have been a birthday treat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ninatoo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Verbal Kint » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:35 pm

Verbal Kint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:42 pm

I have been going through some old VHS tapes and found the full 2hr long BBC coverage of the royal opening.

https://youtu.be/kOKTI0UeekQ

Dave
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:53 pm

Ooh, that's my night shift viewing sorted!
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pointyears » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:56 pm

BTJustice wrote:I have been going through some old VHS tapes and found the full 2hr long BBC coverage of the royal opening.

https://youtu.be/kOKTI0UeekQ

Dave

Many thanks for posting this! Happy Easter!
Pointyears
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:41 pm

3 years since the last reply on this post and 30 years this year since the festival.
To mark the occasion I have put my then and now pictures together in a wee video;

Dave
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:45 pm

Thank you Dave!

I must have been one of the few Glaswegians who never managed to visit the Garden Festival. At that time i worked for a funeral company in Glasgow who were notorious with their staff turn around (eventually I too left) but found myself always 'on call' at the weekend despite their being one other guy who could have taken a turn but he found a way to get out of it and would be so smug about getting along to see it.

He would never swap or offer to take his turn and the bosses of the company never challenged him, allowing him instead to run riot until he up and left and went on to a big chain of funeral directors. His met his Waterloo eventually when he left the big chain and returned to the family firm only to be dismissed some months later.

If it wasn't being 'on call' it would be a wedding or private hire to a racecourse so I never did get along and it is one of my biggest regrets.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:46 am

Delmont St Xavier wrote:Thank you Dave!

I must have been one of the few Glaswegians who never managed to visit the Garden Festival. At that time i worked for a funeral company in Glasgow who were notorious with their staff turn around (eventually I too left) but found myself always 'on call' at the weekend despite their being one other guy who could have taken a turn but he found a way to get out of it and would be so smug about getting along to see it.

He would never swap or offer to take his turn and the bosses of the company never challenged him, allowing him instead to run riot until he up and left and went on to a big chain of funeral directors. His met his Waterloo eventually when he left the big chain and returned to the family firm only to be dismissed some months later.

If it wasn't being 'on call' it would be a wedding or private hire to a racecourse so I never did get along and it is one of my biggest regrets.

I did manage to go, which since I wasn't living in Glasgow at the time was an achievement in itself. I remember it being a very sunny hot day and it being very very busy. I was impressed at the time but less impressed with the legacy of it, which I can't think of anything that was a direct result of the garden festival.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Rachaelmacfarlane » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:41 am

Hey Alan!

I work for the Crowne Plaza- would it be okay if we shared your Dad's pictures?

It's our 30th anniversary of opening in September :)

Many thanks
Rachael
Rachaelmacfarlane
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects