Glasgow Garden Festival 1988

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow Garden Festival 1988

Postby UG » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:17 pm

Excellent! Look forward to seeing the rest.
UG
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby MacotheIsles » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:40 pm

Thank you UG.

A couple more - will get others scanned as soon as...

1) Dress up day. Those of us graciously invited to attend the opening ceremony were encouraged to dress in period costume (can't remember why). Some folk did - viz the gent in the topper. I hope Their Royal Highnesses (Chas and Diana I think) appreciated it. The wee fella here certainly seemed to be entering into the spirit of things.

2) View from the Clydesdale Tower

MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby deevlash » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:07 am

[quote="MacotheIsles"

Image[/quote]
that tent thingy on the far left in the centre of the big circular area has been in the klondyke garden centre near grangemouth for years now :) The oriental garden is also there,. Its really odd seeing those pics, I went to the festival twice and remember it in part (Im 26 so was only 6 at the time and wasnt tall enough for the coca cola coaster). Then when I came to uni in glasgow I lived in a flat in cessnock in 2001 so my pal and I went for a rake around the old site. The science centre was only just finished and the BBC site was still just bushes but you could still find bits of the old railwayline and other odds and ends. The wee garden with that remains between cessnock and the science centre is great, it was crying out for a bit of tlc at the time though, I hope its not infested by junkies and ruined by now though :(
banned for being a whiny little prick
deevlash
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:16 pm

Deevlash - Glad these pics are bringing back some memories. It was one of those once-in-a-lifetime things and I was lucky enough to have a season ticket, so I was there hundreds of thousands of times. Good to know that so many bits and pieces survived too - Motherwell got the George Wylie Tin Tree and the road train went to Strathclyde Park. I never went back to the site after it closed but it's nice that a bit of garden survives(d) - a gardener I talked to at the time assured me that there was no depth beneath the topsoil so I gave up all hope that any plants/trees would persist. Glad he was wrong.

Here's a few more shots in the meantime...

1) The sun didn't shine every day. Just almost every day.

2) Bells Bridge at capacity...

3) BBC Pavilion

MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby deevlash » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:39 pm

spookily I was out today and on driving back to the southside from the west end I found the m8 to be jammed at finnieston so I went over the squinty bridge. As I was passing festival park and I was wondering last night if it was all run down I popped in for a look. It isnt. Infact its rather lovely and there were quite a few families walking around it as the snow was falling :)
deevlash
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby deevlash » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:44 pm

http://www.pistonheads.com/xforums/topi ... val%201988

I hope you dont mind but Ive cross posted your posts onto another forum Im a member of, I started a thread about the festival on there and it seems a lot of people are very interested :D
deevlash
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:20 pm

Deevlash...

You are more than welcome to post on my pics; in fact I'm very grateful to you if they're giving folk on other forums a wee bit of pleasure. The more people that see them the better. Will try and get more posted up tomorrow sometime. Maybe somebody out there will recognise their younger self in some of the crowd shots?
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:39 pm

great pics, bring back lots of memories, must look out my own, although i think mine have some dodgy clothes in them so i might not post!
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:31 pm

Come on Kitten .. you can't say that and then not post. ::):
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stinkpad » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:48 pm

MacotheIsles wrote:
2) View from the Clydesdale Tower

I think you scanned this one the wrong way round :D
stinkpad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:53 pm

MK!

Glad you like the pics - thanks. I'm sure your apparel at the garden festival was nothing short of exquisite and I have no doubt I speak for us all when I say get those photos posted; claes or nae claes.
Listen - since the Garden Festival is widely acknowledged as Glasgow's greatest ever moment in history why not organise an HG whip-round for Garden Festival 2010?
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:58 pm

Stinkpad!

No, no - I'm sure that's right. If I remember correctly they rearranged several square miles of the city into a kind of mirror image for the duration of the festival and put it all back again afterwards.

Truth to tell unless there's some text or something equally obvious in the pic I can never tell if I've scanned the slide wrong-side up or not. I should've noticed this though... apologies!
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:06 pm

Here's a few more pics...

MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:09 pm

Bastards.

I spent a good five minutes going "No.. wait.. if that's the Crane there, then this must have been taken from somewhere near the Kingston Bridge. But if it was, then..... naw hang on, that means the bridge must have been..."
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:13 pm

I'm mortified. Just noticed one of the topiary bears is b-to-f too. I'm away to look out the old service revolver and do the honourable thing.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects