The River Kelvin

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

The River Kelvin

Postby Socceroo » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:48 pm

THE RIVER KELVIN

Had a wee search and could not find much in the way of specific threads although it is obviously mentioned in many threads due its geographic position running through the heart of Glasgow into the Clyde.

I took a walk along the Kelvin the other day whilst I was still off work. It never fails to amaze me the amount of remnants from our Industrial past that you can see along the Kelvin. Each time I walk along its banks I seem to see another old Railway Bridge Pier, or another old Railway Viaduct, another old Outfall or another old Service Viaduct that I have not seen before.

I intend to revisit with a better Camera with a wider angle lens and take some better quality photos. I only took my wee point and shoot Camera as my original intention was to go for a good walk rather than taking photos.

I would also love to see some photos of these old Bridges when they were still in use.

THE RIVER KELVIN AFTER A HEAVY NIGHTS RAINFALL

KIRKLEE BRIDGE

OLD RAILWAY BRIDGES / RAILWAY VIADUCT

OLD RAILWAY VIADUCT

OLD RAILWAY VIADUCT AND REMNANTS OF DISMANTLED BRIDGE

DISMANTLED RAILWAY BRIDGES

BELMONT STREET BRIDGE

KELVIN WEIR

THE KELVIN AQUEDUCT

RAILWAY BRIDGE (STILL IN USE)

Anyone know anything about the history of all these Railway Bridges and Viaducts which cross the Kelvin? It must have been a very busy area at one time given the amount of Industrial remnants which are evident.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:03 pm

Thanks for starting this thread soceroo, some nice views of this beautiful river, you should organise a walk round the river, i bet it's full of mystery and intrigue. :)
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:17 pm

From last years walk along the Kelvin with John Hume as our guide :)

Built when the Botanic Gardens were laid out to link both sides of the river.

Remains of a flint mill last used in the 60s.

The lade that fed the flint mill - with John Hume holding court!

Kelvin Bridge showuing the water pipes carrying Loch Katrine water.

And, doesnt Glasgow look nice and relaxed in the sun :)

Cracking day.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby McShad » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:24 pm

Heres a picture I took years ago looking down on the river from one of the bridges... I think it was the bridge near Kelvinside Academy.

Had a hard time convincing someone that it was the middle of the west end... so peacful and tranquil!
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby elgee » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:33 pm

Good idea Mori, I would like that. A walk along the Kelvin with people who know about it sounds like a very enjoyable day out to me.
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:59 pm

Is that the one at QM Drive? Always wondered what it was from the bridge, s I never noticed it until we started getting this crappy weather. I've often seen neds down there having fights! :?
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:04 pm

Cheers Mori.

I used to in my much fitter days go running along the Kelvin. I used to notice all the old bridges and stuff but never gave them much thought, although i used to get (and still do) great enjoyment at the beauty of Kirklee Bridge each time i came round the bend and it came into view.

Kirklee Bridge is really quite something, a real wealth statement there.

I know a wee bit about Kirklee Bridge and i know a bit about the monumental Kelvin Aqueduct. But with regards to most of the many other bridges across the Kelvin i know very little.

Superb photos Sharon, yep on a warm sunny day there is no better City to be.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:05 pm

Mori wrote:you should organise a walk round the river

Someone should start a list...

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:07 pm

This summer will be the first one I've stayed in Glasgow for. I've always missed out, because the nice weather in May was always during exam time. I can't wait to actually see what the West End is like properly in the summer, and to be able to drink outside in Ashton Lane! The Kelvin also looks far nicer on a sunny day - at the moment it just looks brown. :(
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ElectricSprout » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:00 am

You can't beat a sunny day but I definitely prefer the Kelvin on a sunny Winter's day coz in the summer it's so overgrown that you can't even see the river when you're walking right next to it!

ElectricSprout
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:10 am

Stunning photos!

Many of those former bridges were still intact when I was a schoolboy and would walk from Wyndford to Cleveden using some of these bridges to access what we always thought was a shorter walk. It wasn't really, but it was scenic and interesting and sometimes fraught with the odd nut job lurking in places.

Sad to see that so many of them have finally been dismantled. They belonged in the whole to the Caledonian Railway and part of the LMS line too ( from my understanding the companies were all tied up in some ways before nationalisation) and obviously served the stations of Kirklee, Kelvinbridge, Maryhill, Botanics etc, etc.

Apart from that I don't know too much more about the bridges, but there is something unique about the three bridges (if they are still in place) up at the Botany/Dawsholm - where I think a railway viaduct, road viaduct and waterway (?) aquaduct all cross over each other. I am sure there is someone on here to correct any erroneous information I may pass on!
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ElectricSprout » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:18 am

Just posted a few of the railway bridges over here.
ElectricSprout
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Mark N » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:48 pm

Whereabouts is the still-in-use railway bridge shown in the last photo of the first post ?

I hope we get even more photos of the Kelvin here, it really is a beautiful river!
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby vinny » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:11 pm

Mark N wrote:Whereabouts is the still-in-use railway bridge shown in the last photo of the first post ?

I hope we get even more photos of the Kelvin here, it really is a beautiful river!

That's what i was wondering. Perhaps near the new Kelvindale station?
vinny
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby e2wufos1 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:19 pm

vinny wrote:
Mark N wrote:Whereabouts is the still-in-use railway bridge shown in the last photo of the first post ?

That's what i was wondering. Perhaps near the new Kelvindale station?
Your totally right mate it's the viaduct that runs between Maryhill and Kelvindale stations over the River Kelvin.
e2wufos1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects