School buildings.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby tobester » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:06 pm

Alex Glass wrote:
I have a list of schools that are due for closure and it is better to get into the school before it closes.

I have also requested that we get access to these schools to digitally document them. May be we could start a project going. Fos and I have discussed this a few times and I would be happy to help out.

Are we any further forward with this idea yet, i think itd be good to do
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:28 pm

Here are some photos of my first primary school. I am amazed to report that I was able to take these pictures without any concerned citizens phoning the powers that be and I also managed to evade arrest by the boys in blue. I now live a life of fear and desparation on the run and will forever fear the midnight knock on the door.

'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Fossil » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:20 pm

^^^ pervert ::):
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby John » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:29 pm

Fossil wrote:^^^ pervert ::):

Yes but you knew that anyway. :wink:
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby scaryman2u » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:16 pm

It`s simple, go at the week-end when the school is closed :wink: I have videos of some games my under 10/s11/s12s/13s teams played in . The question is... do I destroy them :?: or do we watch it and have a laugh :?:
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Tureen Street school

Postby balaclava » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:36 pm

Here are some pictures of Tureen St school. First bit from 1875. There are three seperate school buildings and a janitor's house.

Found it by accident as Tureen St doesn't exist any more. It is now Milroad Drive. Aparently called Tureen St because there was a pottery there.

Most of it is derelict but the newest building is a nursery. http://www.eastend.org.uk/projects/calt ... street.htm

The janitor's house has a 1984 datestone and the whole place has been stonecleaned but there is Heras fencing and missing windows. Anybody know what's going on with the place?

Strangely the Glasgow story says it has been demolished! http://www.theglasgowstory.com/image.php?inum=TGSA02494

General view

School name

Janitor's house

Date on chimney

View of back with Rathbone CI name board but they must be long gone

Second school building

Missing window

Third building - nursery
balaclava
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:47 pm

Rathbone's long gone aye. The ground floor of the central building is some sort of comunity hall or something.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:10 pm

The jannie's house at Tureen St is currently used by a housing association and pensioner's groups. The nursery building is being used as a nursery. The middle block is in quite poor repair, but there's a hall and kitchen which is used by a few community organisations.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:40 pm

The wee school in Garscadden Road, once a school for handicapped kids, and now housing.

GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Hayfield school

Postby balaclava » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:58 pm

Thanks for the feedback on Tureen Street. There seem to be a few part used schools around.

I started getting interested in old Glasgow Schools because of Hayfield Deaf Centre. It uses part of the Hayfield School in Old Rutherglen Road/Moffat St in the Gorbals and was under threat of closure earlier in the year. It now has a new ten year lease and should be safe.

The building looks odd but makes more sense when you see pictures of the main school that used to be there.

http://www.theglasgowstory.com/imagevie ... =TGSA02455

Bits of the gateposts have been saved for a seat in the car park of the new flats built on the site.

Designed in 1903 by John Hamilton there are bits of Glasgow style mixed in but the building isn't listed.

The interior was converted in the 80s and 90s and nothing much of the original survives. The main school was demolished around 1984.

Got some information on this from this database - although it seems to be off line today. http://www.codexgeo.co.uk/dsa/building_ ... id=M005657
balaclava
Just settling in
Just settling in

Sir John Maxwell School

Postby balaclava » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:58 pm

Also by John Hamilton - built in 1907 and due to close soon. Pollokshaws thread has info on how this fits into the Shawbridge plans.

This one isn't listed either.
balaclava
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby MotoMad » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:31 pm

Cant find pictures of any of mine!
Pikeman Nursery - Knightswood
Corpus Christi Primary - "
St Thomas Aquinas - Jordanhill

:cry:
crusty_bint wrote: i.e. they're not a bawhair away from Dickensian!
MotoMad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Shawlands Primary

Postby balaclava » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:11 pm

First of the John Hamilton schools although I think this must have been extended at a later date. Quite a few schools had extra floors added in the 20s.It was started in 1893 and added to twice by the same architect before 1905.

From the side it does have a hall which has some of the Glasgow style bits and there are some nice gateposts in the alley down the side of the school

balaclava
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Alex Glass » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:06 pm

Great photos balaclava :D

I had a couple of the John Maxwell but they didn't look as good as your photos. Shawlands is also a great building.

There are also some interesting school buildings in Govanhill.

Keep up the good work :wink:
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Dalmarnock Primary School

Postby Alex Glass » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:33 pm

The old beside the new.

Work has started to demolish the old building.

Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects