School buildings.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: School buildings.

Postby Liamoshea » Tue May 29, 2012 8:42 pm

Hello,
I realise it's been a while since this thread has been updated. I was fascinated to come across it. I've been noticing several abandoned school buildings, sturdy red sandstone constructions, possibly with dodgy roofs, that are crying out for something other than the wrecking ball. Few interesting examples of ways that these buildings can be reused other than as flats or by private companies....I'm thinking Kinning Park Complex. I'd love to have a chat with anyone who has noticed a defunct school building or about anything else I've raised.
Cheers,
Liam.
Liamoshea
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Guacho » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:06 pm

Noticed that the former school (latterly Anniesland College Annexe) at the Thornwood roundabout is for sale.

Given this and the school holidays, probably just as well we're having such a wet summer. To quote Penguinmonkey "too wet to go on fire" ::):
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Godsgift » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:25 am

I understand that beautiful Holmlea Primary, of my own youth and which has been lying empty for years, has been sold to be made into an Islamic school. Although I don't favour segregation in education, I'm delighted the old building with it's parquet floors, high windows and old fashioned gymnasium, will once again be used for the purpose for which it was built. God (or Allah) willing, it will stand another 100 years. Many memories of the Janny and his bucket of sawdust. :D
Godsgift
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:49 pm

http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/news/education/muslim-parents-bid-to-set-up-private-islamic-school.18015165?_=e6de89674d9f1d7968a70dad4f41b844965b4fdc

I don't see what is wrong with St. Brides. HMIe 2011

At St Bride’s Primary School, 83% of the children are bilingual and 32% are new to English. As such, the promotion of equality and fairness is embedded in all aspects of the school life. This is reflected in the vision and values of the school, for example; ‘to meet the needs of every child'.

With 20 nationalities represented in the school, children are learning about each others’ cultures and religious beliefs and about equality and fairness. For example, whole school assemblies take a multi-faith approach. The school also celebrates the main festivals of the many cultures and religions represented in the school.

At Hampden Park, in May 2010, the school launched a project called ‘Bringing Communities Together – Promoting Diversity Through Sport and Education’. This new sports project hoped to encourage the breaking down of race barriers among school children in Glasgow.

Across the school, many children participate very successfully a variety of committees such as enterprise and health. Membership of the committees reflects the make up of the school and promotes equality and fairness. For example, on the enterprise committee, children take the lead and democratically decide the best way to promote an idea or activity within the multi-cultural and multi-faith context of their school.

The school supports the learning of children with English as an additional language (EAL) very successfully. It does this through relevant and appropriate learning and teaching approaches within which aspects of equality and fairness are discussed and developed. The school successfully involves parents in the life of the school. It has established strong links with parents and uses interpreters regularly in individual and large meetings to ensure that parents understand what their child is learning and how the school is doing this.

All visitors have remarked on the multi-cultural ethos of the school. Children and staff have hosted many visits to their school including visits by Michael Russell and Nicola Sturgeon.

And the denominational secondary is pretty good as well.

A secondary school in the west end of Glasgow has received an outstanding report from HM Inspectorate of Education (HMIE).
Notre Dame High School is a denominational school for girls which
serves the north-west of Glasgow. The roll was 788 when the
inspection was carried out in November 2009. Around three quarters
of the girls attend as a result of placing requests. Around a third of
young people have English as an additional language. Young
people’s attendance was above the national average in 2007/2008 and
continues to improve. Almost a third of young people attending are
from areas of multiple deprivation
HMIe

The report for Notre Dame High School is the best report for a Glasgow secondary since the introduction of the new HMIE evaluation indicators.

Notre Dame has received an “excellent” rating – for Improvements in performance – and four “very good” for Learners’ experiences; Meeting learning needs; The curriculum; and Improvement through self-evaluation.

Inspectors praised the school with a roll of 788 for its outstanding ethos which nurtures and develops very well behaved, courteous and confident young people; young people’s wide range of achievements and a Catholic community of faith which embraces and celebrates the rich diversity of cultures.

The head teacher and her senior leadership team were also praised for “visionary leadership” and for providing “many exciting and innovative developments, for example improvements to the curriculum and professional development for all staff”.

The school was also praised for continuing to “focus on improving learning in classes” and was commended by inspectors for recognising “the scope to develop this [improvements in learning] and further improve the consistency of experience for learners”.

Inspectors praised the school for its consistently high levels of attainment in Scottish Qualifications Authority examinations and noted that “at all stages and all levels, the proportion of young people gaining awards is much better than in other schools which serve young people with similar needs and backgrounds”.

In addition, inspectors commended the fact that more than half go on to university with a further quarter going onto further education colleges

Philomena McFadden, the head teacher at Notre Dame High School, said today: “We are so delighted with this very positive report. It highlights the excellent work and many successes that our young people are achieving through the support of parents, staff and the wider community.

“Everyone at Notre Dame High School should be very proud and it is a great credit to the hard work of everyone connected with our school.”

The key strengths highlighted were:

• Outstanding ethos which nurtures and develops very well behaved, courteous and confident young people.
• The school is improving young people’s attainment and their life chances.
• Young people’s wide range of achievements.
• A Catholic community of faith which embraces and celebrates the rich diversity of cultures and faiths in the school.
• The wide range of partners and opportunities for learning which enhance young people’s experiences.
• Staff’s developing approaches to implementing Curriculum for Excellence.
• Visionary leadership of the head teacher and senior leadership team.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:15 pm

I suspect the answer is that the proposed school in the old Holmlea Scholl will not be under council control.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:12 pm

What like the Al-Qalam Primary School which got four satisfactories from HMIe in September of last year.

http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/Images/AlQalamPrimarySchoolIns20110912_tcm4-704638.pdf
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrsam » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:12 pm

My folks live in an old school! It is an old estate school in the country next to stirling. The living room has the old teachers podium and a plaque. It was built in 1869 and had a role of no more than 40 at its height. Interestingly the schoollog book survives in the cooncil archives is stirling.

Mr Sam
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

www..photobucket.com/albums/ll103/thecuriocollector

www..photobucket.com/albums/v195/tarbat2003
mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:16 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:What like the Al-Qalam Primary School which got four satisfactories from HMIe in September of last year.

http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/Images/AlQalamPrimarySchoolIns20110912_tcm4-704638.pdf

Yes something similar to that.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:17 am

Godsgift wrote:I understand that beautiful Holmlea Primary, of my own youth and which has been lying empty for years, has been sold to be made into an Islamic school. Although I don't favour segregation in education, I'm delighted the old building with it's parquet floors, high windows and old fashioned gymnasium, will once again be used for the purpose for which it was built. God (or Allah) willing, it will stand another 100 years. Many memories of the Janny and his bucket of sawdust. :D

I’d rather they knock it down than increase the provision for segregated religious education. The last thing Glasgow needs is more religious indoctrination and intolerance.
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:56 pm

i hold the belief that religious intolerance comes from the home not the school.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:59 pm

It's part of the 3 rs. Riting, wreckoning and religious intolerance.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:21 am

banjo wrote:i hold the belief that religious intolerance comes from the home not the school.

It may be initiated in the homes, but it is nurtured, propagated and perpetuated by segregated schools. Non-denominational schools help dilute the effects of parents rather than enforce them and you take a step closer to preventing the next generation being initiated in the first place.
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:51 pm

cell wrote:
banjo wrote:i hold the belief that religious intolerance comes from the home not the school.

It may be initiated in the homes, but it is nurtured, propagated and perpetuated by segregated schools. Non-denominational schools help dilute the effects of parents rather than enforce them and you take a step closer to preventing the next generation being initiated in the first place.

All I can say Cell that in the 70's supposed non-denominational schools didn't dilute anything and I went to both.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:44 pm

Non-denominational schools help dilute the effects of parents rather than enforce them and you take a step closer to preventing the next generation being initiated in the first place.

evidence please.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:02 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Non-denominational schools help dilute the effects of parents rather than enforce them and you take a step closer to preventing the next generation being initiated in the first place.

evidence please.

I don't think there is any.
Schools mirror society.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects