School buildings.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

School buildings.

Postby BTJustice » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:22 pm

I have had a look to see if this subject has been covered before and allthough individual schools have been featured there dosnt seem to be one project thread about school buildings in general (sorry if I missed it).
Prompted by Viceroys pictures in this thread;
http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/vie ... c&start=10
It occured to me that there are a lot of buildings which were once schools, janitors houses, sheds etc, lying empty or which have been converted for other uses but still show obvious signs of what they once were.
Schools are something we have all attended (I hope) so we all have a connection to a certain one.
Maybe start by posting pictures of your own school.
This was my primary school, Holmlea primary in Cathcart;
And I will get some of my secondary (Kings park) if this thread works out.
Dave.
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:25 pm

Hi Dave. I looks like we went to the same primary and secondary. I was invited to tour Holmlea Primary before it shut down but was away working at the time.

Cheers

John
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby BTJustice » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:27 pm

Small world eh. When were you there? I wish I had gone for a look round before it shut. I wonder who we approach to get a look round now it is boarded up?
www.rewoundandfound.com

BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:40 pm

Heres my primary school. Thornwood Primary Aug 1976- June 1983

Secondary School. Hyndland Secondary Aug 1983- May 1988
Airlie Street (New Building)

I attended after the fire.

Pics from Virtual Mitchell
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:56 pm

Remember Mr Dempster? :D
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:27 pm

BTJustice wrote:Small world eh. When were you there? I wish I had gone for a look round before it shut. I wonder who we approach to get a look round now it is boarded up?

At last someone has started a School topic. I have a few photos and will get them uploaded asap.

I was just walking around Bridgeton and Dalmarnock the other day and got some photos of a school that is now used as Strathclyde Business Centre. There are a few buildings in the East End that I will try and get shots of. Also the Old Shettleston Road School which I intended to do for Past Present.

It is difficult to get into a school when it is boarded up due to health and safety. Fos and I visited Ruchazie PS and London Road PS a few months ago. I have a list of schools that are due for closure and it is better to get into the school before it closes.
I have also requested that we get access to these schools to digitally document them. May be we could start a project going. Fos and I have discussed this a few times and I would be happy to help out.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:35 pm

McShad wrote:Remember Mr Dempster? :D

Name rings a bell, but dont remember ever having him
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:57 pm

Alex Glass wrote:
At last someone has started a School topic. I have a few photos and will get them uploaded asap.

Yea, I couldnt quite believe it when I searched and couldnt find this subject covered fully in this way.

I can see what you mean with the health and safety issue, dont agree as I can take care of myself but I can see how the people in charge of the building would want to cover themselfs.

Look forward to seeing your pics,

Dave.
www.rewoundandfound.com

BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:02 pm

Alex Glass wrote:
I have a list of schools that are due for closure and it is better to get into the school before it closes.

I have also requested that we get access to these schools to digitally document them. May be we could start a project going. Fos and I have discussed this a few times and I would be happy to help out.

Sounds like a great idea, if im available on any days youre doing this then id be happy to help, even if its at nights, i usually work to 4 with a few 8oclock finishes.

Be a shame to lose some PS and SS buildings, especially old ones.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duck » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:31 pm

I hope I don't get shouted at but have so many memories and your suggestion prompted me BT!!I know at least one of the following buildings has gone but the other two are still there! Perhaps if I go on too much a moderator will move my post ( please be kind! done in the BEST possible intention:)
Anyway, way back in 69 we had to sit an exam if we wanted to go the Mungo-St Mungo's Academy - I think my exam was a foregone conclusion as my dad had taught there since before the war, been to war in the navy , married my Mum ( Manx ) while stationed in the Isle of Man, come back, retook his teaching position and my two brothers had preceeded me. Anyway, having been accepted, on the first day of term we had to assemble in the school courtyard in Parson StImage
A whole list of names were read out and you had to lsiten carefully to hear what class you were in. My dad was the head teacher in Kennedy Street but I was not headed there- me and all the others were headed to Duke Street, or what we called St Kents. ( strange, as I remember it had Alexanders's Public School all across the front) I always remember marching in our spanking new uniforms down High Street to our new school, smell of the Tennents Brewery etc!
[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r282/ranzaboy/Hidden%20Glasgow/stkents.jpg[img] The first year in st Kents you didn't know any better so you went to the dinner school which is now, I think, part of that development on the square- there were huge long tables, downstairs and disgusting food! Afterwards, when we knew better, we went to the dairy at the bottom of John Knox Street. Rolls and sausage, bacon etc, cups of soup. Does anybody remeber the wee wifie on the way up the hill on the left hand side of john Knox St, you went into her living room and paid tuppence for a wee glass of ginger. Oh and remember the Great Eastern! We went there because you got the best chips and we thought we were in some kind of five star hotel. Across the wall of our school playground was the Molendinar - so many of us got so far down the tunnel by chucking our ball over and saying " Brother, we've lost our ball " ( brothers were the ones who taught us!! ) But there was a story that if you get right down to the bend in the burn, you could sit down , and you would be taken by the stream and end up in the Clyde!!
After that, you went up to the Barony! That was the Rennie mackintosh building but we didn't know that then!. So instead of getting a bus along George Street we were big boys and either got one going along cathedral St or one going along Parly Road. Between the two Brother Adian used to whack you for being a couple of minutes late! Image
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby duck » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:33 pm

The pics that should have come up areImage
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:34 am

BTJustice wrote:
Alex Glass wrote:

Yea, I couldnt quite believe it when I searched and couldnt find this subject covered fully in this way.

I can see what you mean with the health and safety issue, dont agree as I can take care of myself but I can see how the people in charge of the building would want to cover themselfs.

Look forward to seeing your pics,

Dave.

Hi Dave

I said it was difficult but should have added "not impossible".

The Council's Pre12 Strategy will result in better facilities for teachers and pupils. This will result in the loss of a large number of old buildings. We need to start now if we want a record of what they looked like inside.

If we could organise a group to work on this I would be happy to facilitate a meeting to take this forward.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:55 pm

If anyone interested in this pm me 8) I will get back to you but not right away. so dont worry.

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

My Schools

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:54 pm

I have posted these on another topic before but they should also appear hear.

My first school was Milton Street Primary School in Cowcaddens. I attended there from 1964 -67.

When we moved I attended Ruchazie Primary School from 1967 - 71 then went to Garthamlock Secondary. I don't have a photo of Garthamlock but here is one for Ruchazie.

Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:43 pm

Two old school buildings now being used for other purposes.

The Old School - Old Shettleston Road

Strathclyde Business Centre

Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects