The building, designed by Sir Robert Rowan Anderson, was gifted to the people of Govan for use as a community centre by Lady Dinah Pearce in memory of her husband, Sir William Pearce, who died in 1888.
The first departments of the Pearce Institute first opened in 1904. It offered Govanites reading rooms and clubs, a library, a gymnasium, cooking and laundry departments, and a retiring room.
Disused stairway leading to MacLeod Hall stage:
Top of the stairs
Dressing Room 2
The MacLeod Hall provided a grand venue for dances and social gatherings, with its organ, stage and gallery.