Old Maryhill Station

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Old Maryhill Station

Postby bagpuss_thecat » Sat May 01, 2004 6:47 pm

I'd heard rumours that it still existed, and I've just read in 'Glasgows Railways' that it does - to an extent. When it was removed in 1964, and the Co-op was built on it 15 years later, they reserved space in the basement for a single track terminus. Seems plausible, as the tunnels are still there (according to a friend who lives nearby).

Does anyone know if the tunnels are still accessable, and where they would head to? I presume the Co-op entrance is blocked off for security reasons, but what about in the other direction? Anyone fancy a wander down sometime?

The current Maryhill station is going to have a junction put on it very soon, and split off to Anniesland, complete with Dawsholm Station. Do the old station tunnels lead easterly (I think), and head into town?
bagpuss_thecat
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Fossil » Sat May 01, 2004 7:05 pm

..dont know if this is true but I heard that the station is under the shopping centre... and can be ahem viewed if you nice to the security folk cough :wink:. Has anyone else heard this or even seen it :?: :?

-f-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Pgcc93 » Sat May 01, 2004 8:05 pm

There is an opening near Shakespeare Street that has a metal gate and has enough room for a single railway track and platform underneath the shopping center. Last time I checked it out it was flooded at the entrance but if it was dry you could get a few pics if the flash on yer camera is powerful enough. :wink:
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Sat May 01, 2004 8:58 pm

Dont forget that this station was a goods station, and mainly carried coal. So there were no platforms or ticket offices. Have a look at old photographs and see what I mean. As for where the lines led, get yourself an old map of the area. The Mitchell Library, or Maryhill Public Library (the gift of Andrew Carnagie) will have these.
Best, Ronnie, born and bred in Gilshochill.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Sat May 01, 2004 11:03 pm

Ronnie wrote:Dont forget that this station was a goods station, and mainly carried coal. So there were no platforms or ticket offices. Have a look at old photographs and see what I mean. As for where the lines led, get yourself an old map of the area. The Mitchell Library, or Maryhill Public Library (the gift of Andrew Carnagie) will have these.
Best, Ronnie, born and bred in Gilshochill.

Ronnie,
careful consideration was given to the fact that the new station was slightly South of the Shopping center (directly below It) but served it directly and had nothing to do with the Beeching closures of the day.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Old station entrance perhaps...

Postby ibroxexile » Sun May 02, 2004 4:13 am

I am not sure if the shopping centre you refer to is the Tesco on maryhill road?

If so, I think if you go from the bottom of the car park to your left is the remainder of an old bridge and i have been informed that there is a tunnel there, whether it is accessible i don't know but i live nearby so i will take a look and post some photos of it.

If i am thinking of somewhere else just ignore this post, it is very late and i am very tired, can't remember street names at all...
'the two most abundant elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity'
-Harlan Ellison
ibroxexile
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby DVF » Sun May 02, 2004 8:18 am

I think any thoughts of reopening the line were abandoned a few years ago. Further up the line in the old Ruchill golf course the tunnels there have been flattened and several hundred houses are being planted there.

The way I'd heard it the whole shopping centre had been built on stilts and a basement station area the entire size of the building and car park is available. :?:

There was a planning application a couple of years ago to build a nightclub in the space down there. Nothing came of it though.

I need a sig so's I don't have to keep writing stuff to end a post.
DVF
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby james73 » Sun May 02, 2004 5:38 pm

Ronnie wrote:Dont forget that this station was a goods station, and mainly carried coal. So there were no platforms or ticket offices. Have a look at old photographs and see what I mean.

Wrong. It was both a passenger and goods station.

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Old Maryhill Station

Postby james73 » Sun May 02, 2004 5:49 pm

bagpuss_thecat wrote:I'd heard rumours that it still existed, and I've just read in 'Glasgows Railways' that it does - to an extent. When it was removed in 1964, and the Co-op was built on it 15 years later, they reserved space in the basement for a single track terminus. Seems plausible, as the tunnels are still there (according to a friend who lives nearby).

Does anyone know if the tunnels are still accessable, and where they would head to? I presume the Co-op entrance is blocked off for security reasons, but what about in the other direction? Anyone fancy a wander down sometime?

The current Maryhill station is going to have a junction put on it very soon, and split off to Anniesland, complete with Dawsholm Station. Do the old station tunnels lead easterly (I think), and head into town?

Right. The original Maryhill (later Maryhill Central) is the one that's closed
and the shopping centre has been built above it's original location. By all
accounts, yes, there's space under the centre for a single line platform.

Originally, the line continued under Maryhill Road and off under the Forth
and Clyde canal. This tunnel portal is still visible at the area of the
Chapel Street industrial estate. From there (as DVF said) it headed through
Ruchill until it reached Balmore Road, where there was a station, Possil Central.
This station building is still in place, as shown below.

Possil Central Station building, 2003

From there, the line headed east, crossed the Queen St main line at Cowlairs,
and looped around Balornock, before heading south and connecting to the
former Buchanan St main line that headed to Cumbernauld. *This* section
was goods only, as Possil Central was a passenger station.

The current Maryhill station (formerly Maryhill Park) is on a completely
different line from the old Maryhill Central.

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon May 03, 2004 9:01 am

Took these out Hamilton way on Saturday

Bridge

Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby james73 » Mon May 03, 2004 2:08 pm

A partial scan of an old Glasgow streepmap. Shows Maryhill Central
and also shows the about-to-be-restored Maryhill to Anniesland chord.

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tip2tail » Mon May 03, 2004 3:28 pm

The Modern Fossil wrote:Took these out Hamilton way on Saturday
Bridge

Ahhh, the old Kemp Street bridge! Me and nuttytigger used to use it to cross the railway all the time when we were younger. (Oh wait thats like 2 years ago!)

The best bit is they closed it as it wasn't very safe at night and loads of neds were jumping people on it. It was to be knocked down and replaced with a more safe one as far as I remember but yet again South Lanarkshire Council talking out of their arses! Thing is people have to walk to either end of Kemp Street now to cross or down onto the Hamilton Central Platforms and over the station bridge.
Mark Young
http://www.tip2tail.co.uk || [email protected]
tip2tail
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby scotia47 » Thu May 06, 2004 1:58 pm

james73 wrote:A partial scan of an old Glasgow streepmap. Shows Maryhill Central
and also shows the about-to-be-restored Maryhill to Anniesland chord.

Looking at that old map and seeing just how extensive Glasgow's suburban rail network used to be truly makes my mind boggle. We can now only imagine what it would be like today if it wasn't for the Government at the time, Beeching et al. :x Putting aside issues such as money, demand, capacity etc. for a moment, how much of the network shown on the map do you reckon could be fully restored at some point in the future? I'm aware that most if not all of the tunnels are still intact, but there are probably things such as houses and industrial buildings blocking sections of line in a few places (nothing some TNT won't fix... j/k).

I remember when SPT were thinking about reintroducing trams to the streets of Glasgow a few years back, that the plan was to use the site of the old Maryhill Central station as a terminus for the initial service between Maryhill and Easterhouse. They issued a series of leaflets describing the route. Unfortunately, I lost all of them a long time ago. :( Can anyone remember exactly how the Maryhill site was going to be utilised for the new tram service?

One more thing, does anyone know when the restored Maryhill-Anniesland chord is going to be up and running? It would certainly make travelling from Summerston to Milngavie/Balloch/Helensburgh by train a heck of a lot more convenient.
scotia47
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby james73 » Thu May 06, 2004 5:09 pm

scotia47 wrote:Looking at that old map and seeing just how extensive Glasgow's suburban rail network used to be truly makes my mind boggle. We can now only imagine what it would be like today if it wasn't for the Government at the time, Beeching et al. :x Putting aside issues such as money, demand, capacity etc. for a moment, how much of the network shown on the map do you reckon could be fully restored at some point in the future? I'm aware that most if not all of the tunnels are still intact, but there are probably things such as houses and industrial buildings blocking sections of line in a few places (nothing some TNT won't fix... j/k).

Not a lot, cos the willpower will never be there. :? As you say, most tunnelled
sections are still there, but other parts have been significantly built-on, such
as Partick West station - now buried under the Clydeside expressway. Houses
and other buildings occupy other parts, and there's either a brick viaduct
or earth embankment missing at Yoker Riverside on the L&D line, for example.

scotia47 wrote:I remember when SPT were thinking about reintroducing trams to the streets of Glasgow a few years back, that the plan was to use the site of the old Maryhill Central station as a terminus for the initial service between Maryhill and Easterhouse. They issued a series of leaflets describing the route. Unfortunately, I lost all of them a long time ago. :( Can anyone remember exactly how the Maryhill site was going to be utilised for the new tram service?

No, but I'd like to have a swatch at those leaflets :D

scotia47 wrote:One more thing, does anyone know when the restored Maryhill-Anniesland chord is going to be up and running? It would certainly make travelling from Summerston to Milngavie/Balloch/Helensburgh by train a heck of a lot more convenient.

The path of the chord under the F&C canal has been tidied up. Looks like
they'll be moving in soon to lay the track. I'm not sure if the trains will
terminate at Anniesland though. Can someone confirm this? I thought
that the idea was to open a new station at Dawsholm, and continue the line
through to Anniesland, but to simply terminate the service at Dawsholm
station itself?

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tip2tail » Thu May 06, 2004 5:24 pm