Civic Christmas Decorations

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Civic Christmas Decorations

Postby My Kitten » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:12 pm

Glasgow's are certainly looking a bit shabby.

What would you like to see in Glasgow's fine city centre?
Are there decorations you are ashamed of? proud of?

I'd like to see more decorations around the city, there seems to be a lack of willingness by businesses to titivate the outsides of their businesses. Out city is cold and depressing looking enough in this weather, surely we deserve some twinkles?

Sauchiehall Street, Buchanan Street, Argyle Street and along the clydeside are my particular bug bears at lack of twinkliness.

Out of town decorations too - Dumbarton's - they give me a chuckle.
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Civic Christmas Decorations

Postby Fat Cat » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:32 pm

My Kitten wrote:Glasgow's are certainly looking a bit shabby.

What would you like to see in Glasgow's fine city centre?
Are there decorations you are ashamed of? proud of?

I'd like to see more decorations around the city, there seems to be a lack of willingness by businesses to titivate the outsides of their businesses. Out city is cold and depressing looking enough in this weather, surely we deserve some twinkles?

Sauchiehall Street, Buchanan Street, Argyle Street and along the clydeside are my particular bug bears at lack of twinkliness.

Out of town decorations too - Dumbarton's - they give me a chuckle.

Glasgow's decs are crappy. Same shabby old stuff that was put out when I was young (which wasn't yesterday).

The shops don't even bother any more. Sauchiehall Street and Buchanan Street used to be good but not any more. And now they want to open on Christmas day.... FFS

They should put a bit more effort into it. The council have got the cheek to make putting on the lights an all ticket affair. To control the massive crowds :!: How long before they charge?
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:59 pm

I'm sure there are some in the council who would have a powercard meter installed in George Square so that the public can pay for the lights.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:47 pm

I've just seen the Eiffel Tower on the news, all lit up with sparkly lights. Is that just for Christmas ?
If so, that's the way to do it.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:58 pm

Can't remember if it ws just a Christmas thing, but the Eiffel Tower used to go sparkly lights on the hour at night.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Smartalex » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:22 pm

I believe that more stores should take the same route as the old Lewis's window displays on Argyle Street at Christmas most shops now are too interested in showing their products and wares than being more involved in the christmas spirit.

It's all about the Money these days. :(

Bridgeton Cross even has a few light-up Decorations and a Tree, If they can survive there the can survive anywhere.
Smartalex
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mr moto » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:38 pm

as a kid i always looked forward to going to goldbergs to see their christmas display in the window and meet santa :D
as for the eiffel tower? yes it is lit up all year round after dark, but they always have something special each year for christmas .
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:19 pm

I dont care what the decorations look like, as long as they put them up in DECEMBER and not one month, or even two months earlier than that!

Bah, humbug!!!
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:23 pm

The colours are crap in Glasgow, it looks like an even cheaper, even tackier version of the Blackpool illuminations...

They should do it like they do in Aix. Simple, but tasteful:

Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:45 pm

The fact that people were willing to que for the tickets knowing that the lights are the same has not detracted from the event. The switching on of the lights at George Square has become more popular in the last 5 years. For the health and safety of the public it was decided that this year the event would be all ticket.

I am sure there are a lot more people who appreciate the lights, however old are those on display in George Square.

Its is a shame that some people are unwilling to accept the effort that is made to light up this part of the city and those around GoMA. But to each there own.

I do agree that more effort could be made to light up some of the main shopping streets. Unfortunately no progress is ever made with this suggestion. I am aware that this is regularly raised with the shop owners.

I should also point out that although it does appear to be the same lights every year there was additional funding made available last year to improve some of the lights within George Square.

I like the lights within the City. However much this may appear to be a minority view and its not just because I have to.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby e2wufos1 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:49 pm

Smartalex wrote:I believe that more stores should take the same route as the old Lewis's window displays on Argyle Street at Christmas most shops now are too interested in showing their products and wares than being more involved in the christmas spirit.

Does anyone have any old photos of the Lewis's display in the old days?
e2wufos1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:02 am

There's a very brief shot of Lewis's at Christmas in this Glasgow transport video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWc5sjaB3V0
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:19 am

Speaking as a resident of North Lanarkshire whose own hometown lights are a few bulbs short of the nocturnal eruption of extravagant splendour one might expect, I am very pleased to see the fantastic shows provided by individual households in the past few years. Long may their reindeers sparkle.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Margaret » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:18 am

Alex Glass wrote:The fact that people were willing to que for the tickets knowing that the lights are the same has not detracted from the event. The switching on of the lights at George Square has become more popular in the last 5 years. For the health and safety of the public it was decided that this year the event would be all ticket.

I am sure that a lot of the people who queue for tickets are parents and grandparents of young children - the same people who put a lot of effort into bringing "magic" into certain events their children's lives.

More and more householders are decorating their houses and gardens - I know that last year my granddaughter (and me) found more "magic" in these displays than from the civic display. I must admit we got most pleasure from Carlton Place and the Suspension Bridge - a lot of this to do with storytelling as we crossed the bridge.

You need to look for the "magic" of the lights - some people will see shabby decorations that have been trotted out year after year other people look with their eyes half shut and a lot of imagination
Margaret
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby retired tiger » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:55 am

glasgowken wrote:There's a very brief shot of Lewis's at Christmas in this Glasgow transport video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWc5sjaB3V0

Just had a nostalgia trip watch glasgowbus's tram vids, excellent :D
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects