Glasgow Central Station & Railways

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow Central Station & Railways

Postby Josef » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:23 pm

Why would you want connectivity between Glasgow airport and Prestwick airport? The rail link to Prestwick is fine, as long as your plane doesn't arrive after 11 p.m. or so.

On a related subject of which: coming back from Rome last year, our plane landed twenty minutes late, and we got out just in time to see the (last) bus service to Glasgow/Edinburgh driving off empty on the timetabled dot, leaving bemused Italians and unamused locals to pay upwards of forty quid for a taxi.

Integrated transport in action.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Targer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:47 pm

The simple answer to your question Josef is yes to connections between Glasgow/Prestwick airports. Perhaps I should also have included Edinburgh and its airport to the transportation infrastructure?. Business cannot tolerate delays.
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dugald » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:55 pm

shuffle wrote:[\
A £180m fleet of electric trains will be introduced on the Scottish rail network.
Siemens will supply 130 new carriages, providing 9,000 more seats, which will be brought into use by the end of 2010.
Finance Secretary John Swinney announced the deal, which will see 134 jobs created to operate and maintain the fleet and the expanded depots.

The statement by First ScotRail managing director Mary Grant,that: "This is the biggest electric trains order in Scotland for a decade. ', is a bit vague.Does this mean the trains and carriages will be not be built in Scotland? If so, why is it Scotalnd cannot build them themselves? And, are things so bad regarding employment in Scotland that the creation of a mere 134 jobs is rated as a newsworthy item? If the trains and carriages were built in Scotland, I'm sure this would create more than134 jobs.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby shuffle » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:13 pm

First Scotrail would obviously have been looking for the best deal possible,so if that means buying from another country then so be it. The trains will actually be built in England if that's any consolation.
shuffle
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:27 pm

Does this mean the trains and carriages will be not be built in Scotland? If so, why is it Scotalnd cannot build them themselves?

The manufacturers were shut under Thatcher.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:30 pm

shuffle wrote:First Scotrail would obviously have been looking for the best deal possible,so if that means buying from another country then so be it. The trains will actually be built in England if that's any consolation.

Thank you for the information Shuffle. Yes, knowing they are at least being built in Britain is I think, a fair consolation.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Targer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:45 pm

Its not enough to know these trains are to be built in Britain (England) but the way things are these days where is the design/engineering work been done?.
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dave2 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:18 pm

What design work? This is just a variant on an existing design (used as a 3rd Rail type in the South of England, and a normal OHLE electric train from London-Northampton etc, and as Diesels in the Manchester area, including up to Edinburgh/Glasgow with TPE) by Siemens (a German Company), who do have UK design and engineering Rolling Stock division, but IIRC the construction takes place in Germany still.

IIRC the only UK based manufacturer is Bombardier (Canadian owned), who built the (latest generation) diesels used on the Edinburgh-Glasgow line, and are currently working on the new underground carriages for London underground.

Scotland has no Rolling Stock Manufacturers - AIUI Brush Barclay at Kilmarnock, and Glasgow Works in Springburn only do maintenance and refurbishment, not construction.
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:30 pm

Dugald wrote:.
shuffle wrote:[\
A £180m fleet of electric trains will be introduced on the Scottish rail network.
Siemens will supply 130 new carriages, providing 9,000 more seats, which will be brought into use by the end of 2010.
Finance Secretary John Swinney announced the deal, which will see 134 jobs created to operate and maintain the fleet and the expanded depots.

The statement by First ScotRail managing director Mary Grant,that: "This is the biggest electric trains order in Scotland for a decade. ', is a bit vague.Does this mean the trains and carriages will be not be built in Scotland? If so, why is it Scotalnd cannot build them themselves? And, are things so bad regarding employment in Scotland that the creation of a mere 134 jobs is rated as a newsworthy item? If the trains and carriages were built in Scotland, I'm sure this would create more than134 jobs.

Dugald at present First Scotrail use Deisel units throughout Scotland. These were built by Bombardier a French Canadian Firm. I now maintain these units as do all the guys at Edinburgh Haymarket depot. We also have to Bombardier engineers sharing an office with us in Queen Street Station in Glasgow. There are expansion plans that are going ahead for a massive new depot in Bathgate and the expansion of Shields depot in Glasgow There is also a new depot being built in Perth so the 134 jobs is just a start . But there will be a knock on effect of thes jobs that will then create more employment. The problem I see is due to Thatcherism appernticeships were killed off and all companies in the UK are desperate to find the skilled workforce to fill these highly skilled vacancies.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dave2 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:25 pm

I was driving through Southside last week and noticed here http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=cathcar ... 4&t=h&z=19 that there is what looks likes the abutments of a second bridge across Clarkston road, just to the south of the current one (ie from the end of the wee car park, parallel to the main track and running parallel to Cathcart station between Devlin road and the current tracks).

Was this ever used as I have assumed above, and if so where did that line go?
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:03 am

hazy wrote:Dugald at present First Scotrail use Deisel units throughout Scotland. These were built by Bombardier a French Canadian Firm. I now maintain these units as do all the guys at Edinburgh Haymarket depot. We also have to Bombardier engineers sharing an office with us in Queen Street Station in Glasgow. There are expansion plans that are going ahead for a massive new depot in Bathgate and the expansion of Shields depot in Glasgow There is also a new depot being built in Perth so the 134 jobs is just a start . But there will be a knock on effect of thes jobs that will then create more employment. The problem I see is due to Thatcherism appernticeships were killed off and all companies in the UK are desperate to find the skilled workforce to fill these highly skilled vacancies.

Thank you very much Hazy, for the detailed and intersting answer to my questions. I am of course quite familiar with the Bombardier company. They seem to get most of the technical jobs in Canada these days. They have had many handouts from the Federal Government , an attempt no doubt to keep the Quebecois content to remain part of Canada. At the outset Bombardier employed quite a high percentage of UK people; left-overs from the pre-Thatcher apprenticeships you mention.

When Canada's first subway started operating in Toronto in 1954, it was with rolling stock built by "Gloucester Coach" or some such name. These days, the rolling stock is, as you can readily guess, built by Bombardier. The Toronto rapid transit system is continually expanding so you can imagine Bombardier has a "good thing" going.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:03 am

hazy wrote:Dugald at present First Scotrail use Deisel units throughout Scotland. These were built by Bombardier a French Canadian Firm. I now maintain these units as do all the guys at Edinburgh Haymarket depot. We also have to Bombardier engineers sharing an office with us in Queen Street Station in Glasgow. There are expansion plans that are going ahead for a massive new depot in Bathgate and the expansion of Shields depot in Glasgow There is also a new depot being built in Perth so the 134 jobs is just a start . But there will be a knock on effect of thes jobs that will then create more employment. The problem I see is due to Thatcherism appernticeships were killed off and all companies in the UK are desperate to find the skilled workforce to fill these highly skilled vacancies.

Thank you very much Hazy, for the detailed and intersting answer to my questions. I am of course quite familiar with the Bombardier company. They seem to get most of the technical jobs in Canada these days. They have had many handouts from the Federal Government , an attempt no doubt to keep the Quebecois content to remain part of Canada. At the outset Bombardier employed quite a high percentage of UK people; left-overs from the pre-Thatcher apprenticeships you mention.

When Canada's first subway started operating in Toronto in 1954, it was with rolling stock built by "Gloucester Coach" or some such name. These days, the rolling stock is, as you can readily guess, built by Bombardier. The Toronto rapid transit system is continually expanding so you can imagine Bombardier has a "good thing" going.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Toaster » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:21 am

dave2 wrote:I was driving through Southside last week and noticed here http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=cathcar ... 4&t=h&z=19 that there is what looks likes the abutments of a second bridge across Clarkston road, just to the south of the current one (ie from the end of the wee car park, parallel to the main track and running parallel to Cathcart station between Devlin road and the current tracks).

Was this ever used as I have assumed above, and if so where did that line go?

Possibly part of the old Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Line? It went via Cathcart.

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/Lanarkshire_and_Ayrshire_Railway/frame.htm
Toaster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:36 pm

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:28 pm

Dex please tell me nobody got paid for that film. 8O
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects