Glasgow Central Station & Railways

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:01 pm

Alycidon wrote:The book is excellent - it was in my Chrissy stocking this morning!! Best of all I get an acknowledgement as one of my photographs is used in it. Big buzz to see my name listed with the famous railway photographers like Derek Cross, H.C. Casserley, W.A.C. Smith. Family have officially classed me as unable to live with for the day.

Well done Alycidon.

That must have been a double Christmas surprise for you.:)
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:56 am

found these in a shoebox full of old pics. I think the year was 1985?

Check the Glasgow wifies ::):

Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:47 am

Pgcc93 wrote:Image

I should know some of those railway folk at the bottom of the Time Office stairs but I don't recognise anyone!

Funny to think I would've been about 5 yards from that pillar above the phones!
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:54 am

Doesn't everything in those photographs look polished?
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:19 pm

Schiehallion wrote:
I should know some of those railway folk at the bottom of the Time Office stairs but I don't recognise anyone!

Funny to think I would've been about 5 yards from that pillar above the phones!

I can only make out Jimmy 'Here' Inglis wearing his distinctive blue Shedmaster overcoat who's talking to my old man wearing a grey jumper.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duck » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:57 pm

I bought this internal newspaper from Central Station, dated November 1968 , on ebay. If anybody is interested ( maybe Schiehallion et al ) I could try copying it onto A4 size paper and scanning it . It's actually on fullscap size and I had forgotten that even existed! Remember having to write essays and exams and stuff at school on fullscap?
The contents are: a piece from R.M.Shand, Station Manager about how much it costs to run the station ( inclusing £12 for whistles!) ; an article about the recent installation of the history making electronic newscaster; Mutual Improvement classes by James E.Norman, Parcels/mails Inspector; a really amazing piece about the problems of metallic dust caused by the introduction of the electric multiple units; an "Ode to Boab" , dedicated to one of the station's apparently best-liked personalities, Big Boab; quite a few passenger comments, all good for PR and a list of internal staff arrivals/departures, transfers, retirements etc.
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:03 pm

duck wrote:I bought this internal newspaper from Central Station, dated November 1968 , on ebay.

I'd love to see it Duck - Mr Shand (Station Managers back then were always Mr!) was a good friend of my Dad's.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:07 pm

Pgcc93 wrote:I can only make out Jimmy 'Here' Inglis wearing his distinctive blue Shedmaster overcoat who's talking to my old man wearing a grey jumper.

Is that your Dad in the top one standing alone G? You know I thought of Jimmy when I saw the blue overcoat but I'm thinking the coat's too blue, he's too young looking! But then it was 20 odd years ago!
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:22 pm

Schiehallion wrote:
Pgcc93 wrote:I can only make out Jimmy 'Here' Inglis wearing his distinctive blue Shedmaster overcoat who's talking to my old man wearing a grey jumper.

Is that your Dad in the top one standing alone G? You know I thought of Jimmy when I saw the blue overcoat but I'm thinking the coat's too blue, he's too young looking! But then it was 20 odd years ago!

Aye that's him caught skiving off. I was in the middle of doing the Daily Station Orders in the SM's office and took a few pics.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:25 pm

duck wrote:I bought this internal newspaper from Central Station, dated November 1968 , on ebay. If anybody is interested ( maybe Schiehallion et al ) I could try copying it onto A4 size paper and scanning it . It's actually on fullscap size and I had forgotten that even existed! Remember having to write essays and exams and stuff at school on fullscap?
The contents are: a piece from R.M.Shand, Station Manager about how much it costs to run the station ( inclusing £12 for whistles!) ; an article about the recent installation of the history making electronic newscaster; Mutual Improvement classes by James E.Norman, Parcels/mails Inspector; a really amazing piece about the problems of metallic dust caused by the introduction of the electric multiple units; an "Ode to Boab" , dedicated to one of the station's apparently best-liked personalities, Big Boab; quite a few passenger comments, all good for PR and a list of internal staff arrivals/departures, transfers, retirements etc.

I'd also love to see a bit more of this :)
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:14 pm

Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Knight of the Thistle » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:50 am

Just a quick note to anyone going out for todays Bristol-Glasgow charter (class 47 hauled) arriveing @ 13:20 in central has been cancled by network rail due to flooding doon south.

Cheers Chris.
Knight of the Thistle
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:57 am

Interesting building on the last pic Alex. Does anyone know what's in there ? I guess it's the central signal control.

Here's a photo I meant to post before, the Central Station bridge viewed from Argyle St before rebuilding. Date is around the late 1890's.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:04 pm

glasgowken wrote:Interesting building on the last pic Alex. Does anyone know what's in there ? I guess it's the central signal control.

Here's a photo I meant to post before, the Central Station bridge viewed from Argyle St before rebuilding. Date is around 1890's.

Nice Central Bridge pic Ken.

The top floor of the building is the Signalling Centre and is also the location of the Glasgow Central station announcer who operates the big departure board too.

Go to http://www.flickr.com and put in Glasgow Central Signalling Centre and you'll see some photos of the signalling panels in there. And a photo taken from the balcony in Alex's pic by our very Pgcc when he was but a nipper.

On the panels, the white lights represent a route set and the red lights indicate a train occupying the track circuit. The 4 digit code is each journey's unique identifying code. The wee red hoops are magnets which can go over signal buttons on the panel meaning the signalman can't set the route.

I walk up Salkeld St a lot and I'm always surprised there aren't more train guys taking photos by passing their cameras under the gap in the mesh and getting virtually head on, ground level shots of trains.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:09 pm

Cheers, interesting place. Could be a good place for an HG tour :)
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects