Parish Halls Tour

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:28 am

Peekay wrote:It's actually it's your PC I'm posting on every time you go to the fridge for a beer.

Shit, just when things get interesting, you turn out to be my wife :cry:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Margaret » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:14 am

Alex Glass wrote:Can anyone tell me where I can get a photo of Barnhill Poor House.

I am doing some research for a friend who's great great great gradfather died there.

Check out the Heatherbank Museum of Social Work.

Barnhil became Forresthall so it is also worthwhile checking under both names if you are doing an internet search
Margaret
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby viceroy » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:56 am

Margaret wrote:Check out the Heatherbank Museum of Social Work.

The Heatherbank Museum of Social Work also had its own publishing set-up called the Heatherbank Press. I have one of their books called "Ha'penny Help - A Record of Social Improvement in Victorian Scotland", by Colin Harvey who was one of the founders of the museum, published in 1976. It is all about poor relief in the 19th century and has various chapters on poorhouses, reformatories, model lodging houses etc. There is a lot of information about Barnhill Poorhouse / Forresthall Hospital in the first chapter. Other places mentioned are Govan Poorhouse [which became the Southern General Hospital] and Hawkhead Asylum [later Leverndale Hospital]. There are loads of photographs but these are not of very high quality.

Alex, if this book is of use to you you are welcome to have it. PM me if you're interested.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:56 pm

Setting the scene. A self-portrait.

Shoes - Where shall we go next?

The Phantom of the Parish Halls....

w
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects