The Heart Of Glasgow - Glasgow's Eight Oldest Streets

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

The Heart Of Glasgow - Glasgow's Eight Oldest Streets

Postby John » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:03 pm

Hooray! I have mod approval to start my first thread.

I have recently finished the Jack House book The Heart of Glasgow and am in the middle of reading The Second City by CA Oakley. I have greatly enjoyed both books with their descriptions and anecdotes of old Glasgow. I can highly recommend them to anyone looking for a fun and easily readable introduction to the history of our city.

I have read many books about the history and growth of Glasgow and most of them discuss the eight oldest streets out of which Glasgow grew. These are:

-Drygate;
-Rottenrow;
-High Street;
-Gallowgate;
-Trongate;
-Saltmarket;
-Stockwell Street; and,
-Bridge Gate.

You can see a map of these streets in 1560 here:
http://www.theglasgowstory.com/imagevie ... 9c0964ba3d

I'm not sure if I should embed the map in this post (any advice?).

The books contain many details of the architecture and artifacts of these streets, some of which may still be seen today.

This project will focus on all of the above streets and the intention is to capture the distinct sights and character of each street in both pictures and words. This will build up into a body of work covering the core of the old city.

We do not have to stick rigidly to the specific buildings etc mentioned in the books although I will make a point of posting snippets from the books with relevant photographs.

There will be a degree of overlap with other threads such as Past and Present and City Shots but that only adds to the interest.

I will kick things off with a shot of the building I would most like to get inside.

Does anyone know if they still play the bells at hogmonay?

-w-
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Fossil » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:05 pm

When do we start Walbass 8)

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby John » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:10 pm

Modern Fossil wrote:When do we start Walbass 8)

Fossil

I am working on annotating a map with extracts from the books which I will post. I work in George Square so I will be out and about in this area most lunchtimes but I do see the need for a specific walk to expore the area in a group. I will have a think about a good route to take and am minded ot start at the Cathedral and criss cross our way down and along towards the green.

I do have a number of shots of this area but this time I think I will make a point of not dipping into my archives. I want to explore the streets through the eyes of the writers and make an effort to capture something special and unique about each of the eight streets.

-w-
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Fossil » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:14 pm

Great W and a visit to The Lampost 8)

-F-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:05 pm

I'm in love already.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:10 pm

HollowHorn wrote:I'm in love already.

I really loved reading these books and am very excited about this. The books have filled my head with the sights and sounds of old Glasgow so much that I see the old city in my mind when walking these streets.

-w-
John
-
-

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:12 pm

Aye ::):
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ninatoo » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:19 am

I can't wait to see what you all come up with! In my family tree research I have found all those street names for my ancestors time and again (19th century and the lot of them were poor).

Nina :)
ninatoo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby doonunda » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:06 pm

ft
Last edited by doonunda on Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
doonunda
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:12 pm

doonunda wrote:With the exception of the cathedral and provands lordship, what other evidence of the medieval city still remains?

Theres a map trail here http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/AboutGlasgow/History/medievalcitymaptrail.htm

The printed version is excellent quality.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:23 pm

Sadly Doonunda, very little remains due to the coming of the railways and the work of the City Improvement Trust. However there still remains the Tolbooth Steeple (as pictured) as well as the Tron Steeple (search for Hellfire Club to find out more) and the Merchants Steeple (all thats lef of the original Merchants House) on Briggait. Beyond that there are archaeological remains, such as that of the Franciscan monastery found while work was being undertaken at the City Science Park (search for monastery to find out more).

Edit: or alternatively look at the map MyKitten posted! :D
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby John » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:30 pm

I have been keeping a bit quiet lately as work has been insane. I will have a bit more time the week after next if anyone is interested in a photowalk covering part of this area from 22nd October onwards?

w
John
-
-

Postby doonunda » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:57 pm

ft
Last edited by doonunda on Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
doonunda
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:03 pm

There are some remains of the Bishops palace still in-situ at the Cathedral Precinct. If you go to the north side of the St Mungo Museum you will see the sandstone poking through the paving :)

Edit: This has just reminded me that while I was doing some work for St Andrews in the Square i came across a record of sale of stone from the remains of the Bishops palace that were to be used in the construction of the church. So I had a look around and found an unusual stone arch built into what was the foundation level of the north east corner of the church (I say was as this is now ground level since the basement was excavated to create a bar/restraunt area when the church was restored a few years ago) which I think might be a remnant. Must go check that out thoroughly
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:44 pm

Doonunda, PM me with your home address & I'll send you copy of the Medieval Map (unless that nice man, Coonsilir Glass beats me to it)
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects