The rise and fall of the Bundy

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: The rise and fall of the Bundy

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:49 pm

I believe these houses where part of the Bundy area of Pollok.

Bridgend Road

There was a Greater Pollok Heritage site that had some photos but it appears to have been removed.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby neilmc » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:18 pm

Alex Glass wrote:There was a Greater Pollok Heritage site that had some photos but it appears to have been removed.

Try this:-

http://www.freewebs.com/greaterpollokhe ... /index.htm
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:31 pm

Thanks Neil

For some reason I was unable to find it last night. I know that from a good start the group have hit a bit of a stop just know. Hopefully it can get started again and more content added.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:39 pm

The only Bundy I've ever heard of is the cycling group that head off down the Lanark Valley on a Thurday night containing some of the hardest men in Scottish Cycling.
Interesting that Dugald used the bundy to time his cycle rides. The origins of the name Bundy seems lost on the current crop of riders.
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dugald » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:35 am

Cyclo2000 wrote:The only Bundy I've ever heard of is the cycling group that head off down the Lanark Valley on a Thurday night containing some of the hardest men in Scottish Cycling.
Interesting that Dugald used the bundy to time his cycle rides. The origins of the name Bundy seems lost on the current crop of riders.

Cyclo, I don't know that group of Clyde Valley hard-men known as the "Bundy", but I do know that to ride in that tough area one had to be "hard"! The Langlands Rd. bundy was used by a few cyclists besides myself. Perhaps the use of the bundy for something it was never intended, had a lot to do with the absence of time pieces away back then... not too many young types owned watches.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:45 pm

Pollok Bundy

Bankend Road

Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby fourbytwo » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:02 am

:D :D :D I remember fondly, the comments made by my late brother, who was a maintainance man at the NSB at Cowglen.
He stated his amazement at the sudden funds made available to the Bundy tenants whose houses faced the Barrhead Road.
Seemingly, the Council paid for curtains for each house facing the Barrhead Road, so that when the Queen passed-bye to officially open the NSB building, she wouldn't be offended by windows without curtains......god bless her tiny cotton socks..!
Additionally to this, the Council emptied their Parks department, and placed 'hundreds and hundreds' of plants, trees and planting boxes, along the same route, so that the Queen would be convinced just how beautiful Glasgow tenant's lives were.
What made my brother laugh was the armies of workers seen lifting all of these plants and trees, when she left....to avoid any tenants trying to keep them....!
Good days nevertheless......!
fourbytwo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:19 pm

That is a fantastic story fourbytwo. I have heard it said that the Queen thinks everywhere smells like paint because a new coat of paint was always added to anywhere she visited. Flowers and trees - only Glasgow would you get something different.

I wonder if this happened in other places.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby munchinmac » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:27 pm

Aaahhhhh............. the Bundy!!

I lived in Cowglen Road for many, many years as my dad was one of the 'Jannies' at Bellarmine School, the Catholic Secondary, the pupils of which enjoyed more that a few mutal meet ups with Craigbank Secondary( on the other side of Barrhead Road), the non-denomenational (as Protestant schools are now known as).

Cowglen Road had the ambulance repair station at one end next to the public football pitches which you could walk through to reach Cowglen Hospital. There was also a lane there that would take you over the burn to Priesthill, the 'Priesty' being one of the other big local gangs.

There were also wee white 'army houses' if I remember rightly which were at the bit close to where the National Savings Bank was built.

The school (and our house) would flood regularly in the late 70's & early 80's when the burn rose high and the flood defences where only put in place when the Pollok Centre was being built.

At the other end was the Peat Road Roundabout which had a red sandstone group of shops (including the famous Mackies!).

On the other side of Peat Road, the mobile fish & chip van would appear at the weekends.
I was never allowed to go to the swing park in case of any trouble. I was stoned once for going to the shops for my mum after school whilst still wearing my blazer and I know that my big brother got chased more than a few times simply for walking home at night.

If anyone's got any decent photos of Bellarmine, I'd really appreciate it - Dad's 85 now and it broke his heart to see the state of the school before it was demolished to make way for the mega Tesco and Silverburn centre.

Cheers
Mac
munchinmac
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Alex Glass » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:48 pm

Hi Mac

Welcome to Hidden Glasgow.

I will try and see if I can get any photos of Bellarmine and post them up.

There are some other threads that may be of interest to you. I can't post links just now but look about they are easy to find.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby Jock58 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:56 am

crusty_bint wrote:"The Bundy" were the local hoods in Pollok who fought "The Bowrie" (I think) who were based on the other side of the Brock Burn from them.

Did they no hail from the Bower walls Barrhead ?

I remember one school day the buses were off so me & my mate decided to walk home from Craigie to Southie.

Rather than take the usual route up Peat rd we thought we would try cutting through to the tunnel on Kennised road.
Well as we passed the Bundy a group of friendly youth came out to meet us screaming welcome and waving a variety of sticks and bars.
Not feeling like a meeting of cultures we legged it and were chase all the way to the Priesty boarder. At a safe distance we turned and waved our thanks to the Bundy boys for providing us with some much needed exercise.
My mate and I carried on laughing off this near miss until we were around the Priesthill terminus area when another group of young locals the priesty young team came up the road to greet us. Not knowing that we had already exercised that day they gave chase all the way to the kennishead road.
Thank God, that Darnely was not built then as we could not have gone through that a third time in one day.
I suppose we should be grateful that unlike me & my mate these local boys knew how to respect borders.

Jock58
Jock58
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:02 pm

Great story Jock
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby emzgeebaby » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:42 pm

this is the story how i know it....

the "pollok bundy" joined forces with "cardee" in cardonald and to cooperate this in their name they called themself "cardee bundy" eventually pollok stopped hanging about cardee and returned to pollok - leaving their bundy name. since then cardonald has been refered to as cardee bundy or bundy for short. when pollok left cardee bundy joined forces with the "mossys" (boys from mossheights) from which cardonald had no earned the name "mossy bundy" after a couple of years a falling out seperated the two gangs and now cardonald has reverted back to "cardee bundy"

follow all that? :) i know its confussing. bundy stands for boys united never die young.
emzgeebaby
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:34 pm

emzgeebaby wrote:this is the story how i know it....

t bundy stands for boys united never die young.

I thought it stood for arseholes who hung about the Bundy Clock

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:58 pm

I've just realised no one has actually posted anything about the company itself
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundy_Manu ... ng_Company

And a Glasgow tramways bloke using one.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe