The rise and fall of the Bundy

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

The rise and fall of the Bundy

Postby rangersfc » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:57 am

Hello all bundyites. I'm looking for your help in writing a book about the bundy and so i need your invaluable contributions. My own family came from the bundy and have often told me stories about it. I feel that these stories have to be put into print for prosperity and before it's too late and there's no one left who remembers the bundy. So i had the idea of collating all the first hand stories and compiling then into a book. With the help of all you orginal bundyites, i'm sure we can do it. I promise to include the names of all contributors whose recollections and stories are included. Working chapter titles are set-out below to get us started. Who knows, once published it may be serialised in a newspaper. The story of the bundy will be there for us all to share with our famlies. It seems to me that the bundy draws comparsion with the mythical 'brigadoon', in that it suddenly appeared and then disappeared jut a quickly a few short years later. Let's bring it out of the ashes - i'm sure it'll be a good read.

Please e-mail me at: [email protected]

All the best for now

Douglas ross (now living in renfrewshire)

Working chapters

1) the story of the bundy (start to end)
2) how you got there (and from where)?
3) schools
4) mackie’s & other shopkeepers
5) cardschools, gambling & bookies
6) courting & winching
7) gangsters, gangs, police & religion
8) local works / employers
9) pastimes & school summer holidays
10) making ends meet & getting by (large families, hand-me-downs, poverty, disease etc)
11) camaraderie
12) famous ‘bundyites’
13) why you left& where are you now?
14) photo gallery & layout map (e-mail your photo’s)
Bibliography of contributers
I'm looking for info on old Glasgow hospitals, like the Sheildhall Fever Hospital in Helen Street and a Lay-In Hospital in or near Central Glasgow, where my Great Grandmother was born
rangersfc
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby kirkyguy » Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:23 am

Hello......you should try this site for info on the bundy TXB ya bass,there is a lot of expats on here with fond memories and pictures of the bundy, i know a few people from the bundy and i find them real loyal, and always willing with a wee story about the bundy,so good luck

http://glasgowguide.co.uk/ggbb/
kirkyguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

THE RISE & FALL OF THE BUNDY

Postby rangersfc » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:02 am

THANKS FOR THE LEAD KIRKGUY, I'LL CHECK IT OOT

dougie
I'm looking for info on old Glasgow hospitals, like the Sheildhall Fever Hospital in Helen Street and a Lay-In Hospital in or near Central Glasgow, where my Great Grandmother was born
rangersfc
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Ronnie » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:25 pm

Ehhhh ... what is a "bundy"?

Oh, and call your computer helpdesk and tell them that your caps lock is stuck. ::):
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kirkyguy » Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:43 pm

A Bundy i think is a old clocking system used by bus drivers i think there was a few Bundys around Glasgow...
kirkyguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:32 am

"The Bundy" were the local hoods in Pollok who fought "The Bowrie" (I think) who were based on the other side of the Brock Burn from them.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby kirkyguy » Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:22 pm

Im quite sure that the local neds took their ned name and their scheme name from the bus terminus which is now the pollok centre, and the term Bundy was used for a terminus clocking systm of some sort i heard that Castlemilk used to have a Bundy as well...
kirkyguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:29 pm

Hmmm? You're probably right, Id never heard of it (the first thing I thought of was Married With Children), although... I've been told the Bundy's territory was on the north side of the Brock Burn (with the Pollok centre being on the south)?
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby red_kola » Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:56 pm

According to this page (pop-up hell, BTW), there wre Bundys in

Castlemilk
Clydebank
Kirkintilloch
Pollok
Drumry
Pollokshaws

All bus termini?
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby johnnyanglia » Mon May 03, 2004 12:18 am

Castlemilk definately had a bundy. It was a bus stop on one of the main road's(Castlemilk Drive). I never remember a clock being there but their was at one point a little brick toilet which the bus drivers could use near by which required a key.
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Wed May 05, 2004 4:08 pm

There was a bundy in Balornock, at the bottom of springburn park at the entrance to stobhill hospital.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

bundy clocks

Postby frank dawson » Mon May 08, 2006 3:00 pm

:D
In 1951 Iwas a bus conductor at Parkhead and Knightswood garages and on bus journeys I had to leave the bus at certain points where there was a bundy clock.
I had a card which I put in the bundy which registered the time the bus was at that point.
Many is the occasion when my driver thought I was back on board when in fact I was left there and had to catch the next bus and find him waiting on me.
Happy Days!
Frank Dawson
Essex
frank dawson
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Jupiter-Returns » Mon May 08, 2006 5:41 pm

I remember Castlemilk and Cardonald Bundy.

I remember Al Bundy - he was a character.

He was American though and was on the telly, does he count?

That is all.
"Ma kin ah dae a jobby?" Jobbies, jobbies are funny a bit.
Jupiter-Returns
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby job78989 » Mon May 08, 2006 11:20 pm

The Bundy that this threads author is refering to is the Pollok one. A Bundy was I believe the name of the time clock used by Glasgow Corporation. some of the bus guys will confirm this.

The Pollok Bundy was at the bus shelter on Barrhead Road at Damshot Road on the northside of Barrhead road.

The Bundy housing area (called south pollok I think) was on the southside of Barrhead Road in the area between cowglen road and barrhead road. mostly built in the late 1940's and removed in the 1970's to make way for the pollok shopping centre which is now being removed to make way for shopping centre 2.

John
job78989
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby hazy » Tue May 09, 2006 9:20 am

crusty_bint wrote:Hmmm? You're probably right, Id never heard of it (the first thing I thought of was Married With Children), although... I've been told the Bundy's territory was on the north side of the Brock Burn (with the Pollok centre being on the south)?

Wish you had,nt mentioned Married With Children.
Christina Applegate oops :oops: :oops: :oops:
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects