Misc. Ramblings

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Misc. Ramblings

Postby Blueboy » Sun Dec 15, 2002 4:33 pm

Hi guys!

Firstly, the web-site is fantastic and I wish you every success with it.

I wondered if you had come across any info relating to the building which sits at the corner of North Hanover street and Cathedral street (now part of the Buchanan Street complex car park).

My wife works at Strathclyde University and has heard from various people that it is a lift/ventilation shaft associated with a deep-level tunnel which runs under that part of the city. I could be getting my stories mixed-up but the tunnel may be related to a complex beneath the Royal Infirmary. The Royal Infirmary part of the story came from someone my wife knows who worked there and often had to visit the hospital mortuary. She says that the mortuary occupied a very small part of a considerable network of tunnels, one of which runs South under the city, possibly via the shaft at North Hanover Street/Cathedral Street.

I find this story very interesting and I hope it is of some interest to yourselves. Any light you could shed on it would be much appreciated. In the meantime, I'll keep asking around for more evidence and would be delighted to contribute to a possible project for your site if I can gather enough info.

Regards,

Dave.
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:28 pm

I've also heard of the tunnel from the royal infirmary... check out

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=135

it might be of interest to you (especially the links on JayKay's reply) ::):
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby partickular » Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:32 pm

I've often wondered about that thing too. I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere else on this site. I was passing it on a bus tonight at tea time and the shutter door was open, so I peered in as best I could. There were a few workmen type blokes in there, but all I could see were some lockers, brushes and bits of wood etc. Couldn't see any evidence of anything subterranean, but there might be further inside.
partickular
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby james73 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:25 pm

I think it may be some sort of electricity sub-station. Could be wrong
about that though. Prior to the demolition of the old tenements around
that area, there was a large office building on that site.

Also, in those days the Queen St Low Level entrance was in an older
building on the opposite corner of the Bath St bridge, so maybe it was
linked to that under the road?

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby partickular » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:23 pm

Passed it again last night at the same time, and the door was open again. This time I could see a concertina type shutter door running across about half of it on an east-west axis, ie parallel with Cathedral St. So, perhaps there's something interesting behind that.
partickular
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects