Pre-M74 Build

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Pgcc93 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:05 am

We got well clocked in Oatlands as we checked out the new unopened road.

Funniest part of the walk was when a wee boy shouted from a close mouth on Granton street 'Are yooz tourists?'

I replied "Ja" and he gave us the thumbs up and a cheeky wink... we were safe ::):
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:13 am

walbass wrote:Where did the rest of the tenement go?

They probably were never actually built - tenements that look as though they were built in one big phase have normally, due to the speculative nature of tenement building, been built a couple of closes at a time in succession and sometimes by dfferent developers. Because of the system of party wall [sharing], the first developer would build into the gable of his tenement the apertures and flues and often the niche or press for the fireplaces for the next development. Lloyd Georges budget in the early 1900's (1910 I think) killed of this type of speculative building almost overnight and this is why you see this all over Glasgow and te surrounding tenemental areas.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby John » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:12 am

crusty_bint wrote:

They probably were never actually built - tenements that look as though they were built in one big phase have normally, due to the speculative nature of tenement building, been built a couple of closes at a time in succession and sometimes by dfferent developers. Because of the system of party wall [sharing], the first developer would build into the gable of his tenement the apertures and flues and often the niche or press for the fireplaces for the next development. Lloyd Georges budget in the early 1900's (1910 I think) killed of this type of speculative building almost overnight and this is why you see this all over Glasgow and te surrounding tenemental areas.

Interesting CB. Thanks. I have also read that there was a major Glasgow banking crash which resulted in lots of incomplete building projects.

w
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby motman » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:33 pm

crusty_bint wrote:

Fascinating Crusty, I never ever thought of that, where there are no obvious signs of demolition.
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cumbo » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:58 pm

Scotland Street

cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:02 pm

Scotland Street
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:12 pm

motman wrote:Fascinating Crusty, I never ever thought of that, where there are no obvious signs of demolition.

See me, see gobsmacked :oops:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Smartalex » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:30 pm

Closed toilets on Scotland Street (Taken through locked Gate):-
Smartalex
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:12 pm

'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby John » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:13 pm

Derelict factory on Quay Road

John
-
-

Postby John » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:14 pm

A pretty weed.

John
-
-

Postby John » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:14 pm

A derelict factory on Quay Road.

John
-
-

Postby John » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:15 pm

International Business Machines.

John
-
-

Postby John » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:16 pm

Two old pals hanging about and waiting for the end to come.

John
-
-

Postby John » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:17 pm

Rust never sleeps.

John
-
-

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects