Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:44 pm

smartie wrote:Ya auld bastards !!! ::): ::): ::):

Nae luck when the ice caps melt son.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:46 pm

New Glasgow one due to be released any day now....

Stiff Little Fingers "15 And Counting" Live At The Barrowland 17th March 2006.

Having experienced the SLF annual St Patrick's night at the Barrowlands this is sure to be a stormer.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby chipsteak » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:26 am

About half of Alice In Chains' "Live" was recorded at the barras ( at a show that i thought was utter shite, mind )
chipsteak
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Toby Dammit » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:36 pm

chipsteak wrote: at a show that i thought was utter shite, mind

That's funny. I thought the same thing about The Jam concert at the Apollo on DIG THE NEW BREED - which was one reason I never saw them again (that and the dreadful album, THE GIFT). It sounds incredible on the record though. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood that night...
travel, films and stuff https://freakydog.wordpress.com/
Toby Dammit
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:40 pm

Toby Dammit wrote:
chipsteak wrote: at a show that i thought was utter shite, mind

That's funny. I thought the same thing about The Jam concert at the Apollo on DIG THE NEW BREED - which was one reason I never saw them again (that and the dreadful album, THE GIFT). It sounds incredible on the record though. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood that night...

Post production.

there are live albums with barely a lick played in a concert hall. Dubbed in solos from other concerst or just bring the band in and overdub. The audience not too hot dub in another audience.

Anyone have Arena by Duran Duran? own up.
Guns 'N' Roses' "Lies" ?
"Thin Lizzy Live And Dangerous"?
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:06 pm

The post production work on Live And Dangerous has been greatly exaggerated over the years. There are 3 reasons for this.

Firstly and probably the main reason was undoubtedly because Southbound, recorded during a sound check, was put into the album. It is however Thin Lizzy playing live on a stage albeit there is no crowd present.

Secondly, the album sleeve made no secret of the fact that the material was obtained from 2 separate nights on the Johnny The Fox tour in London and 1 night on the Bad Reputation tour the following year in Toronto. In an age when a live album was usually the record of the events of one particular evening this was unusual. Tony Visconti took all that material and made it sound like one night.

Thirdly, there were overdubs done to some backing vocals of Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson on the likes of The Boys Are Back In Town just to make them stand out clearer.

Indeed Brian Robertson loved playing live and is on record as saying his guitar work on the album was untouched. He wouldn't have had it any other way.

Still one of the greatest live albums ever.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:42 pm

Toby Dammit wrote:That's funny. I thought the same thing about The Jam concert at the Apollo on DIG THE NEW BREED - which was one reason I never saw them again

The other being that they split up but a few months later? :wink:
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Toby Dammit » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:38 pm

red_kola wrote:
The other being that they split up but a few months later? :wink:

Trooo, but they played the Apollo one more time before that, if memory serves right (for a change). They certainly played in Glasgow someplace...
travel, films and stuff https://freakydog.wordpress.com/
Toby Dammit
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:52 pm

What with all the Union Jack three-piece suits and the 'Vote Thatcher' quotes, I wouldn't have thought The Jam were Dex's cup of tea in any case? :wink:
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:03 am

Josef wrote:What with all the Union Jack three-piece suits and the 'Vote Thatcher' quotes, I wouldn't have thought The Jam were Dex's cup of tea in any case? :wink:

The Union jack does not belong to the Right. There's a whole bunch of Glaswegians who wield it and have never voted Conservative. SNP maybe but they're a wee bit mixed up.

I gather Weller was winding up the NME at the time of the Thatcher quote. One only needs to listen to his songs to get his real feelings (That's Entertainment) for one without mentioning his allegiance to Red Wedge or his work with Jimmy Ruffin on a song to support the miners.

I did see the Jam and I must admit it was some show. They played the University of Strathclyde, maybe the gig Toby mentioned. I still have most of their singles and eventually coughed up for best of the Style council when i need you're the best thing for a wedding. But i could not say I'm a fan.

back to True Blue and see if I can ID Josef (after Uncle Joe or Sir Keith?)
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:02 am

Weller was the last to play at the Apollo.

Here's another one, The Stranglers Live At The Apollo 1981.

Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects